GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody use the Euro short shift kit from ECS ?

Boner

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know if you can change your 2010 GTI exhaust to centre exit like the new GTI R ? Do they sell a custom rear valiance that would fit a 2010 GTI ?

fredf

Go Kart Champion
The Part Nr. in Europe is 8J0 711 046 B and it is the Shift Kit from the Audi S3 and fits perfect on the Golf Mk6 GTI.

It shortens between 10 and 15 %.

The Price is about 25 Euro / ~40 USD
It is definitly the same part as from ECS.

Here the Link to the German Forum and Thread
http://www.golfvigti.com/topic.php?t=1115&page=fst_unread&highlight=audi

In this Thread there are also installation instructions on the First Page.

CU

Can you elaborate a bit on the feel of this? It is 10-15% shorter, as you say. Does it feel OEM (considering it is)? Does it feel just like the base shifter, ie: just as smooth as opposed to notchy?
Does it take more effort to shift into gear?

thanks

Golfmaster

Shifting feels like OEM, no difference between the Base shifter. The only difference is about a half inch less from first to second gear (1 to 2, 2 to 3 and so on)
My English isn´t perfect, i hope you understand. ;)

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Shifting feels like OEM, no difference between the Base shifter. The only difference is about a half inch less from first to second gear (1 to 2, 2 to 3 and so on)
My English isn´t perfect, i hope you understand. ;)

For 1/2" (or 1 cm) is this, in your opinion, a worthwhile 'improvement'?

Oh, and the Euro part number you refer to : 8J0 711 036 B is different from what ECS has on their website: 8J0 798 041 B. SInce it's hard to check Euro part numbers here, do you know if these are different or the same part. Will both fit the MkV!?

By the way, your English is great. As a Canadian I'm used to hearing multiple languages daily and you're just fine!

Last edited:

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Just checked with my VW dealership. They said that since this is an OEM product, that if they install it they will warranty it.

I am so concerned about warranty because I've hear about linkages, and various shifter issues that dealers have refused to repair under warranty with short shifters claiming that it puts increased stress on parts because of higher pull pressures on the linkage. Whether that is b.s. is one thing, but I don't want my warranty pissed away.

Golfmaster

For 1/2" (or 1 cm) is this, in your opinion, a worthwhile 'improvement'?

By the way, your English is great. As a Canadian I'm used to hearing multiple languages daily and you're just fine!

Thanks, it´s a little more than 1cm. I think 1,3 - 1,5cm. It´s hard to say. I would to it again. About 40 USD isn´t expensive and it is definitly a improvement.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
ALthough I wrote above that I just contacted my VW dealer and the service department said that if it is an OEM product (it's Audi) then it will not in any way affect the warranty.....

--I just tried another dealer to be sure and they said it WOULD void the warranty. So 50:50. I will email VW and see what they say but they take at least a week to respond to queries.

As long as my dealer is happy then that helps. However the service manager is on holidays until next week, so maybe I will call back then and just make sure with the chief honcho.

Last edited:

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
I am just glad that my local dealer is mod friendly. I doubt they would have a problem with this. I mean, really the only things you could break from a short shifter would be shift arms or syncros and if you know how to shift the syncros would be a non issue even.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I am just glad that my local dealer is mod friendly. I doubt they would have a problem with this. I mean, really the only things you could break from a short shifter would be shift arms or syncros and if you know how to shift the syncros would be a non issue even.

It's not so much that you could break anything as a result of the short shifter. It's if anything on the linkage or in the transmission goes and they say 'you've modified your transmission' and they won't do the work under warranty.
It's not even just up to the dealership. VW can get involved as well, although if my dealership was obliging that would be good enough for me.

Either way, I have emailed VW and will speak to my service manager before proceeding.

theunderlord

Ready to race!
I am just glad that my local dealer is mod friendly. I doubt they would have a problem with this.

LOL.. I doubt anyone at my dealership could even notice a SS kit.. Most of them all drive honda's..

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Re: the warranty issue:

Just called VW Canada (should have just done that first instead of emailing), d'oh.

They said that 'even though it is an OEM part and is sold as an original part on your vehicle in another part of the world, if it isn't on your vehicle as delivered here in Canada or offered as an accessory by your dealership, then we cannot recommend you install it'.
Ok, so they don't recommend it.

They also said 'if it is damaged in any way we would not be responsible for repairing it'.
Ok, that's fair.

When I asked if they would use that as an excuse to not do warranty work on other areas of the transmission (beside the SS itself) she said 'we are not technical experts. Your dealership is the technical expert and it would be up to them to decide what is responsible for any failure. You should check with your dealership.'

So I will indeed discuss this with the service manager when he returns from vacation. I still like the idea that it is OEM.