GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR K04 TSI DIY Install

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Mostly this. Very time intensive, but not difficult. Just take your time and use plenty of PB Blaster. The only "scary" part is some of the bolts you won't be able to reach with an extractor if you break or strip them.

Yeah that's kind of what I'm thinking. I have the month of June off, and I have a motorcycle to ride around while my car is taken apart. I could see myself taking it real slow and spending 3 days or so on it. It would DEFINITELY be the most involved job I'd ever done, but I think I'm up for it. The bolts do scare me, but pb blaster and the right tools should be my friend.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Yeah that's kind of what I'm thinking. I have the month of June off, and I have a motorcycle to ride around while my car is taken apart. I could see myself taking it real slow and spending 3 days or so on it. It would DEFINITELY be the most involved job I'd ever done, but I think I'm up for it. The bolts do scare me, but pb blaster and the right tools should be my friend.

3 days sounds right. That's how long I took (about 15 hours total) - and it was also the most involved project I'd ever done. Had previously done the downpipe - which is the second most involved (and trivial by comparison).

I mailed my ECU to APR for the reflash before I started.

Day 1 was all prep (removing the downpipe and all the other nonsense), day 2 was removal and bench work, and day 3 was installing the new turbo and reassembly.

Had my ECU back on day 4 and hit the ground.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
3 days sounds right. That's how long I took (about 15 hours total) - and it was also the most involved project I'd ever done. Had previously done the downpipe - which is the second most involved (and trivial by comparison).

I mailed my ECU to APR for the reflash before I started.

Day 1 was all prep (removing the downpipe and all the other nonsense), day 2 was removal and bench work, and day 3 was installing the new turbo and reassembly.

Had my ECU back on day 4 and hit the ground.

Sounds awesome! If I go through with everything I'll do the Uni kit and get the uni connect to flash the ECU at home on my own.

I'd say the downpipe has also been my most involved job till now. Once I had the bolts off the studs it was smooth sailing.

Or maybe replacing the oem oil pan was (that one was probably the most nerve wrecking)

So, for the 6MM hex bolt on turbo heat shield

who is all in favor to use heat torch on it prior to trying to remove bolt? I'll go acquire one...

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
So, for the 6MM hex bolt on turbo heat shield

who is all in favor to use heat torch on it prior to trying to remove bolt? I'll go acquire one...
I'm not sure that would help much. The bolt would expand more than the threads, as they're a part of the block itself.

More than anything, a good mirror and the right application of force are what's needed to crack it loose.

Sincerely, XGC75

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
I'm assuming this has been addressed before...but how do you guys who have done the job feel about this technique of dropping the turbo out the bottom instead?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The k04 goes in easy enough from the top, why add extra steps? Just another opportunity for something to strip, snap, cross thread, or come loose.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
So here's a $1,500 tip - DO NOT over this gotten the boots on the oil return line. Those little bastard (M6x1.0x16) will snap.

If you do this then PULL THE TURBO before you attempt to extract. I pulled the axle for clearance, but still destroyed it. Wound up drilling it out, and ate right through the bolt's bore hole.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2443779

Snug them up, don't crank them down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
So here's a $1,500 tip - DO NOT over this gotten the boots on the oil return line. Those little bastard (M6x1.0x16) will snap.

If you do this then PULL THE TURBO before you attempt to extract. I pulled the axle for clearance, but still destroyed it. Wound up drilling it out, and ate right through the bolt's bore hole.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2443779

Snug them up, don't crank them down.

And if you break it, upgrade to big turbo [emoji23]

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Believe me I wanted to. Unfortunately I'm buying a house next week (closing Wednesday) - so I'm replacing my APR K04 with the very similar F23T :)

Cool! I'm not familiar with the f23t. I haven't looked into any turbos besides the k04. In fact I wasn't going to upgrade my turbo till just a few weeks ago haha