GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ARM Motorsports Mk6 Gti review.

jon570

Ready to race!
So after a huge ordeal with a downpipe from 42DD, I decided to save some money and purchase a downpipe from ARM Motorsport. Total was $297 plus there is a 10% discount code floating around (DSC-68). If that still works. So. My total was $262 shipped. Can't say no to that for a 3" catted downpipe. That bolts to the stock catback. (Or is supposed to. More on that later). So I'm not doing a DIY because there's Plenty of them out there for downpipe. I will include a few pictures of things that helped me. Everyone dreads getting the hidden bolt off the turbo downpipe. But mine wasn't bad at all. I'll show a picture of what helped me.

So first. The packaging was great. Everything was secure. No dents. Dings. Or marks.

Here's everything it came with. Turbo to subframe. Then section from subframe to catback with cat. And reducer to use stock catback. In my cause. I have a beluga catback.

Here's the comparison once I got the stock off.

So the first section bolted up perfect. Everything lines up great. Had no issues there. The rear section I feel could have been about two inches longer. When I install slip on connectors and reducers for exhausts I like for them to slide all the way into the connection. I could not do that with this kit. I had to slide the connections out some for it to for the catback. After tightening everything up and putting it all back together I do believe there is a leak. And I feel like it's due to the fact that I can't slide the exhaust fully into the slip fittings. If there's an ARM company user on here maybe they can pm me and I can give them some info about it. But for $270 for a catted 3" downpipe I feels it's a great deal. The tone I was going after is 100% there. Completely satisfied with how it sounds. I will be getting a YouTube video together for sounds comparisons. Hopefully soon. To me, there's almost zero drone. My exhaust has one cat and the beluga catback has a muffler before each tip on the exhaust.

Random under side pictures.

The next two pictures are how I got the "hidden" bolt out.

That's the socket and extensions. And this is how it looks in the bay. I removed my cts intake and battery.

Any questions. Please ask. I'm sure I forgot something about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noodle1

Ready to race!
By the way, I had the exact same problem and more, My connections didnt slide 100% in and I do have a little exhaust leak because of that, Im going to call arm and hopefully they will mabey ship out a reducer that's an inch or 2 longer. I also noticed that you were cbfa, I had alot of trouble with the gasket that goes onto the turbo, I had to dremel a little bit off to make it fit. Did you also do this, or was your gasket diffrent, or did you use the stock gasket? Finally, Did you get a Cel? I did and I bought a 90 degree spacer that worked for 100 miles, Im stage 1 for now and dont want to go stage 2 yet because of my stock clutch. Thanks in advance

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Looks like a godspeed with a cat

Im pretty sure their non-catted downpipe is just an ebay downpipe (for 2x the price) but this one does seem a bit different. The flex section is a little lower, the flange holes are drilled out, different support bracket. Wish this was around when I got my ebay one and welded in my own cat, ended up paying more total.

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Oh yeah try using some high temp RTV on the slip fitting if you think you have a leak, the AWE downpipe is pretty similar and they ship it with a tube of RTV.

Noodle1

Ready to race!
Oh yeah try using some high temp RTV on the slip fitting if you think you have a leak, the AWE downpipe is pretty similar and they ship it with a tube of RTV.

I'll try that out when it gets warmer, I guess I'll have to live with a little exhaust leak for the time being

FriggenT1

Banned
Im pretty sure their non-catted downpipe is just an ebay downpipe (for 2x the price) but this one does seem a bit different. The flex section is a little lower, the flange holes are drilled out, different support bracket. Wish this was around when I got my ebay one and welded in my own cat, ended up paying more total.

Nothing wrong with the godspeed...then again my flex pipe has been broken for a while too lol

jon570

Ready to race!
By the way, I had the exact same problem and more, My connections didnt slide 100% in and I do have a little exhaust leak because of that, Im going to call arm and hopefully they will mabey ship out a reducer that's an inch or 2 longer. I also noticed that you were cbfa, I had alot of trouble with the gasket that goes onto the turbo, I had to dremel a little bit off to make it fit. Did you also do this, or was your gasket diffrent, or did you use the stock gasket? Finally, Did you get a Cel? I did and I bought a 90 degree spacer that worked for 100 miles, Im stage 1 for now and dont want to go stage 2 yet because of my stock clutch. Thanks in advance

Yes. Having a reducer 2 maybe even 3 inches longer would be perfect. The gasket wouldn't fit quite right so I used the stock one. No check engine light yet. But I am anticipating one. I'll eventually get a spacer. I'm not tuned yet. I wanted to get everything done first then go straight to stage 2. Only thing left is the clutch.

jon570

Ready to race!
If you do this: (u2b)YoutubeID(/u2b) but with square brackets it embeds the video.

I was trying to figure that out. Usually if I'm on the computer I can copy a different link and embed it. But I did this all with my phone and that option didn't show. Thank you though.

Joveen

Ready to race!
Been waiting for a write up. Thanks for the code too. Glad to see other CBFA peeps around. Where was the hidden bolt?

Last edited:

jon570

Ready to race!
Been waiting for a write up. Thanks for the code too. Glad to see other CBFA peeps around.

No problem. Im sure i could have done a 1000 time better at my write up. But its to the point.

For the Record. I have contacted ARM via email to their tech support, to let them know about the fitment issues. Once i hear back i will update with their response.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
That downpipe looks like a regular 120$ eBay downpipe.