GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ask Detailer's Domain. Have a question ask us?

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion
Phil,

I noticed some a dried up bird dropping on the trunk lid today and proceeded to detail the vehicle. After getting the dropping off I noticed what appears to be clear coat damage that can not be felt with the fingers but it can be seen when the light hits it.

If this possible to fix with out wet sanding?

I am also planning to get a starter orbital (Griots or PC).. If the DA could be used for repair what pad and compound would you recommend?

Is there any product to apply to prevent this from happening? I have applied numerous coats of #26, and 1Einz Polish and Wax to keep things like this from occurring!

Thanks

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
Phil,

I noticed some a dried up bird dropping on the trunk lid today and proceeded to detail the vehicle. After getting the dropping off I noticed what appears to be clear coat damage that can not be felt with the fingers but it can be seen when the light hits it.

If this possible to fix with out wet sanding?

I am also planning to get a starter orbital (Griots or PC).. If the DA could be used for repair what pad and compound would you recommend?

Is there any product to apply to prevent this from happening? I have applied numerous coats of #26, and 1Einz Polish and Wax to keep things like this from occurring!

Thanks

the paint maybe etched and yes you should be able to compound or polish most if not all of it out, what polishes do you have?

Phil

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Phil, spring is near, and I am getting ready for my Spring detail. I noticed after my last car wash this past weekend a flurry of swirls under the right sunlight. I daily drive it, ungaraged, always sealed or waxed, ONR proper washes...

1) How did I get so many swirls? Do I have to reevaluate my car washing techniques and/or sealants/waxes (griots paint sealant + collinite 845)?

I am going to be attending the Adam's Detail Clinic in April, I'm very excited. I did plan on doing my Spring detail at the end of this month, but I'm kind of thinking about postponing until after the detail clinic. The reason is because during my last detail, I had A LOT of trouble finding the swirls. I turned off all the lights in the garage w/ only one work lamp on. That helped the most, but after I was done, I noticed a few fine RIDs I missed.

2) Should I wait until after Adam's Detail Clinic to detail?
3) Do you have any advice for me trying to detail my white GTI?

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
Phil, I don't have any real compounds just some einzett polish. What kind of compound or polish would you recommend and or pads?

Thanks

try the einszett first. is it the green can?

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
Phil, spring is near, and I am getting ready for my Spring detail. I noticed after my last car wash this past weekend a flurry of swirls under the right sunlight. I daily drive it, ungaraged, always sealed or waxed, ONR proper washes...

1) How did I get so many swirls? Do I have to reevaluate my car washing techniques and/or sealants/waxes (griots paint sealant + collinite 845)?

I am going to be attending the Adam's Detail Clinic in April, I'm very excited. I did plan on doing my Spring detail at the end of this month, but I'm kind of thinking about postponing until after the detail clinic. The reason is because during my last detail, I had A LOT of trouble finding the swirls. I turned off all the lights in the garage w/ only one work lamp on. That helped the most, but after I was done, I noticed a few fine RIDs I missed.

2) Should I wait until after Adam's Detail Clinic to detail?
3) Do you have any advice for me trying to detail my white GTI?

sure thing sorry to hear about that are you using a machine polisher?

also candy white is hard to detect imperfections unless you are under the right lighting.

if your close drive by and I'll have a look at it.

Phil

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
sure thing sorry to hear about that are you using a machine polisher?

also candy white is hard to detect imperfections unless you are under the right lighting.

if your close drive by and I'll have a look at it.

Phil

I was. I spoke with you on the phone regarding a suggestion for product. You steered me to FG400 + MF pad & green pad. I think my error was that using the GG6, I was using excessive pressure to try to get it to "cut" more, however, the pad stopped rotating....... huge beginners mistake :(

I live an hour away from you, but I will be in Bergen County next weekend (not this coming weekend). Are you around on the weekends?

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
I was. I spoke with you on the phone regarding a suggestion for product. You steered me to FG400 + MF pad & green pad. I think my error was that using the GG6, I was using excessive pressure to try to get it to "cut" more, however, the pad stopped rotating....... huge beginners mistake :(

I live an hour away from you, but I will be in Bergen County next weekend (not this coming weekend). Are you around on the weekends?

back off on the pressure 5-15lbs, speed 4.5 slow passes.

it should work fine.

kram

Ready to race!
Phil,

For Candy White, in particular what kind of lighting do you think is best to detect defects?

Thanks in advance!

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
Phil,

For Candy White, in particular what kind of lighting do you think is best to detect defects?

Thanks in advance!

we typically use t5 lighting from the shop, led, halogen, and the sun.

all will provide a different spectrum.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I notice that in certain sunlight my car has some very fine scratches and swirls in the paint. Overall the car is very well maintained. Do you guys have a recommended polish? This is my first time polishing this car so I don't think I need anything to harsh. Lastly do you guys have some kind of sealant. I usually stick with Chemical Guys but, AutoFinesse certainly looks good.