GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ask Detailer's Domain. Have a question ask us?

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
Going to try my first detail on my deep black pearl GTI. I got a Porter Cable 7424XP over the winter for $150 new and am looking for tips and compounds to use. It came with lots of pads and pad conditioner/cleaner, but no compounds.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Autozone/advanced auto will have Meg's 105 and 205, a compound and finishing polish. Those are great starts. A cheaper option would be Meg's ultimate compound and ultimate polish that are readily available OTC at walmart etc.

Check out detailingbliss along with detailedimage.com. They have a great beginners blog there that I read when I first started.

Also which pads did it come with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply!

Also which pads did it come with?

Various Hex-Logic pads. Black, blue, orange, red and white.

sent from GS4 using tapatalk

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply!

Various Hex-Logic pads. Black, blue, orange, red and white.

sent from GS4 using tapatalk

Awesome and np. Read up on which of those pads are used for what. They tend to differ somewhat between manufacturers but I'm fairly certain orange is the most aggressive and black is the least. At least that's how it is for my pads. I also don't have white so :iono:

TomCat1

Ready to race!
Any body know where to get a working steam cleaner for the interior of my golf?

I want to clean all the seats. They're looking like a faded greyish and it's bothering me.

Preferably in Miami but I'm willing to buy one online for the right price.

Thanks

DrGonzo

Ready to race!
Chemical Guys basic wash and wax kit on ECS Tuning for $59.95: Is this a decent deal?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...6__ES2622744__ES2622747__ES2622745/ES2622741/

I am a weekend warrior, not a detailer. Just purchased a pressure washer and am cleaning out the garage to get the car away from the lawn sprinkler which has left lovely mineral stains all over my car. New VMR wheels go on Friday and I'm embarrassed at how filthy I have let my car get.

Also wondering if there's a paste wax I should add if I get this kit and whether that would be used before/after/instead of the factory sealer in the kit.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Chemical Guys basic wash and wax kit on ECS Tuning for $59.95: Is this a decent deal?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...6__ES2622744__ES2622747__ES2622745/ES2622741/

I am a weekend warrior, not a detailer. Just purchased a pressure washer and am cleaning out the garage to get the car away from the lawn sprinkler which has left lovely mineral stains all over my car. New VMR wheels go on Friday and I'm embarrassed at how filthy I have let my car get.

Also wondering if there's a paste wax I should add if I get this kit and whether that would be used before/after/instead of the factory sealer in the kit.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Not sure if that's a good price but I would buy different items for basics:

Waffle weave towel for drying
Few microfibers (soft/plush ones) for removing wax
Car wash soap (I use megs gold class, its cheap and widely accessible)
Two wash buckets from home depot or lowes
One or two grit guards
A soft wash mitt. Find the cheapest lamb wool one

DrGonzo

Ready to race!
Not sure if that's a good price but I would buy different items for basics:

Waffle weave towel for drying
Few microfibers (soft/plush ones) for removing wax
Car wash soap (I use megs gold class, its cheap and widely accessible)
Two wash buckets from home depot or lowes
One or two grit guards
A soft wash mitt. Find the cheapest lamb wool one

Great, thanks.

chip1

Ready to race!
This is a list of items I just purchased recently to start off with all from Amazon:
303 Products 30313 Aerospace Protectant in Spray Bottle 32 oz.
Meguiar's Water Magnet Drying Towel
Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber Cloths (Pack of 3)
Sonax 230200-755 Wheel Cleaner
Viking Diamond Weave Microfiber Windshield & Glass Cloth - 2 Pack
Meguiar's Complete Car Care Kit
Stoner 92164 Invisible Glass for Window Windshield and Mirror Cleaner - 22 oz.
Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt
Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicator Pkg. of 3
Detailer's Pro Series Wheel Glaze

IHAZTERBO1

Ok small question. Someone applied a sloppy aka kinda globby touch up job on a very small scratch length wise but width it's a little bigger. Is there a particular way or can I even maybe sand it down a bit without doing a huge area that's not necessary and redo the touch up?

I've been using sonax net shield to seal my wheels.
I am looking for a better product to seal it (if there is)
hows the collinite insulator wax?

Also, I have been using chemical guys diablo gel to wash the wheels, but i find that there are still dirt stuck on the wheels after brushing it with boar's hari brush and ezdetailer brush. Are there any other kind of wheel cleaner that is stronger but not strong enough to remove the sealant? Thanks

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion

Also, I have been using chemical guys diablo gel to wash the wheels, but i find that there are still dirt stuck on the wheels after brushing it with boar's hari brush and ezdetailer brush. Are there any other kind of wheel cleaner that is stronger but not strong enough to remove the sealant? Thanks

Net shield will seal better than the collinite. Collinite will look better. But two coats of net shield will fix that. I did a 50/50 on my hood last year to compare those 2 products side by side.

It seems like you may be looking for a coating for your wheels to better seal them. I'm in for a suggestion on a coating too as I was planning on doing net shield on my wheels again but want something more permanent.

I like sonax full effect and 1z colortech for wheel cleaners.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion

For your situation...sealant is best rather than wax and Sonax Net Shield is some of the best out there. I use Adam's Quick Sealant for my wheels and Sonax wheels cleaner once a month to clean the barrels. I have zero issues with both

Net shield will seal better than the collinite. Collinite will look better. But two coats of net shield will fix that. I did a 50/50 on my hood last year to compare those 2 products side by side.

It seems like you may be looking for a coating for your wheels to better seal them. I'm in for a suggestion on a coating too as I was planning on doing net shield on my wheels again but want something more permanent.

I like sonax full effect and 1z colortech for wheel cleaners.

Thanks, I will try to put another layer or 2 of sealant on there, but what do you use to clean sealed wheels? I believe the sonax full effect will strip the sealant right off and I dont want to reaaply every time i wash my wheels.
I am thinking of going opticoat as well.

For your situation...sealant is best rather than wax and Sonax Net Shield is some of the best out there. I use Adam's Quick Sealant for my wheels and Sonax wheels cleaner once a month to clean the barrels. I have zero issues with both

Yea I've heard nothing but good things for the net shield and I've been having great results with them on my paint too, just thought there might be a better option for wheels.

I also have the OZ superturismo LM as well... 18 spokes with lots of edges...

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Poorboy's Wheel Wax... check it out. I hear great things about it. Honestly, I think Collinite 845 should be great. I think the biggest difference between wheel specific wax/sealant is the heat resistance... hard braking + warm days = hot hot hot wheels