Bender Builds a Backroad Burner

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Tune
Tires (max summer performance or above)
Brakes (DOT4 and SS lines, maybe pads)
Rear Sway Bar

^^^ would make a huge difference.

From a performance perspective, the OEM suspension is quite good.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
never knew you didnt even have a tune..

Neither did I. But the GTI is a great car bone stock. That is a fact.

In my opinion though, as far as prioritizing modifications, whether they are performance or cosmetically oriented,..........a Stage 1 tune is a MUST. Has to be at the top of the list. Anything/everything else is at your own discresion.

The Stage 1 tune (for this car)....is....that....good. The best bang for your buck mod BY FAR. It transforms an already great car, into a fantastically fun to drive car.

Other than my APR Stg 1 tune, the only other mods I have are a Carbonio intake and some new wheels/tires. But next in line for me will be suspension and exhaust.

There are so many directions you can go when it comes to modding the car. Everything from stereo upgrades, to a KO4 and everything in between. And they (any mod) are ALL good. But the tune.....it's gotta be #1. Once again, this is just my opinion. But I'm sure others will agree with me on this one.

(By the way....I just got the Conti DWS tires....they are sweet)

Bender1

Banned
Its going to be a fairly active month for my car (which is sort of strange considering it is December).

First, my Christmas list is made and Santa (aka Mrs. Bender) is hard at work on it. Many of the things in this thread (AWE gift certificates, DG, SS Brakelines) are on it. Not sure what I will end up with, but certainly will be a good start.

Second, I got in on the Forge Catch Can group-buy. It is more expensive than the others but I feel it really offers a "complete solution" with the Africa Plate.

Lastly, i am considering jumping on this: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12138 My only concern is creating too much oversteer by only doing the rear. That said, I figure with a 24mm I should simply be flattening it out.

Thoughts?

Bender1

Banned
Lastly, i am considering jumping on this: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12138 My only concern is creating too much oversteer by only doing the rear. That said, I figure with a 24mm I should simply be flattening it out.

Thoughts?

I think I have solved this question for myself. Tires are a more pressing issue. This is a some day thing, but tires first.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Sway bars should be used to fine tune the suspension. If you plan on upgrading the suspension further down the road, add sway bars after you install the new springs / dampers.

Tires WILL make the biggest handling difference on any car.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
If you want handling maximized; add Unibraces first; then feel where you still need adjusting. Your suspension is designed to move; but if your chassis is flexing you are not maximizing the potential of your suspension anyway.

1. Bracing
2. Suspension flex/damping
3. Sway Bars if needed.

:thumbsup:

Bender1

Banned
If you want handling maximized; add Unibraces first; then feel where you still need adjusting. Your suspension is designed to move; but if your chassis is flexing you are not maximizing the potential of your suspension anyway.

Great point - didn't even think of unibraces.

Esp. considering I truly believe that our suspension geometery is pretty damn good - that might be the way to go.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I haven't done a UB yet so I can't give you a comparison on them. I can tell you that putting on the XB on my .:R really made a difference, far more than I expected to be honest. enough so that I didn't bother with an RSB after driving with the brace for a bit.