GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best all around tire for Florida 18" wheel

bozaman

Ready to race!
this is too vague of a question...

can you narrow down what you (or your wife) need/want from a tire? there are a lot of variables to consider such as dry and wet traction, ride quality such as tread noise, and many others.

off the top, my first recommendation would be a nice all-season such as the conti dws that many on this forum run and are very happy with, but you may not need the snow traction capability living in florida.

take a look at tirerack and do some research there about different tire attributes to narrow down your search and we can probably offer some better advice.

joema2

Ready to race!
I live in florid want. The best tire for the wife's car
In Florida you generally don't need an all-season tire. A summer tire will usually give better performance. They don't have the "siping cuts" on each tread block which causes deformation under cornering loads, plus the rubber compound is optimized for warm weather. They can still be driven in cold weather, just not with significant ice/snow accumulations. I recommend the Continental ExtremeContact DW (*not* DWS): http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW

I just replaced the 18" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires on my '10 GTI with the DW, and they're better for most driving. Turn-in isn't quite as sharp, but they're quieter, smoother, dry grip seems equal and wet grip is much better.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
OP your request is entirely too subjective...do you want the best at lasting forever, the best grip, the best comfort, the best wet traction, the best dry traction, the best compromise

i think you see my point

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
A summer tire might be fine in Florida all-year-round, but don't summer tires generally wear out faster than all seasons? This is an honest question, because I don't know the answer. If this is true, it may not be as cost effective to get summer tires (they seem to be generally more expensive too).

The best all-around tire I've ever used is the Continental ExtremeContact DWS all season tire. The grip is unbelievably good when it's rainy out and in they do well in the dry too. As long as you aren't going to track days or carving corners every single day, I think it's a great all-around tire. Even then, they still seem good for spirited driving, just not for driving at 10/10ths (which would be quite rare on public streets anyway). I personally plan on buying a set of these once the Dunlop all seasons that came with the car wear out.

Link: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS

If you're going to order them from Tire Rack, be sure to click through the link at the top of the page!