GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big oil leaks :(

Maxikosta

Hi guys, I am new to the GTI life with a 2011 mk6 I’ve bought about 3 months ago and I’m not off to a great start.

I‘ve loved this car since I took it for a test drive and have been babying it since day 1. I had to get some warranty work done to my car at the start (water pump what else) I was told I have a ‘small’ oil leak also.
It took me a while to get around to chucking it up on a hoist and when I did I really wished I had done it sooner. Oil leaks seem to be coming out of fkn everywhere (See attached photos) and I was just wondering if anyone with a bit more experience would be able to let me know what common issues these cars have that lead to these massive puddles in my driveway?

Appreciate any help in advance, I have an absolutely loved driving this car and hope I can drive it without any worries again soon.

IMG_2626.jpegIMG_2625.jpegIMG_2624.jpegIMG_2623.jpegIMG_2622.jpegIMG_2627.jpeg

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Check what fsures said, and inspect the valve cover, oil pan, and lower timing cover. They're the usual suspects. They are all sealed with sealant which tends to go bad after miles and miles. They're not too hard of a fix if you're patient and have steady hands. Dm me if this is the case, I can help.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Try and wipe it down from top to bottom, and then inspect where exactly it leaks from because it tends to get messy and hard to track where the oil came from.

Maxikosta

My vote would be to check for a dead PCV unit. When they go bad they will pressurize the motor. If left unrepaired can blow the rear main seal.
Thanks bro, any easy ways to check for a dead pcv? I’ll take it out after work today

Maxikosta

Check what fsures said, and inspect the valve cover, oil pan, and lower timing cover. They're the usual suspects. They are all sealed with sealant which tends to go bad after miles and miles. They're not too hard of a fix if you're patient and have steady hands. Dm me if this is the case, I can help.
I gave it a clean yesterday I’ll have another look tonight. Might have to take you up on your offer for advice if the sealant is cooked. Thanks heaps

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Thanks bro, any easy ways to check for a dead pcv? I’ll take it out after work today
Honestly, they're pretty cheap to replace, and in the grand scheme of things will give you peace of mind - and it will if you try and sell it (a nice selling point).
I bought one for my new gti from urotuning.
You'd have to ask fsures because idk how to check if its good or not - but I'd say mess around with the spring, see if it's stuck.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
With the engine running, either pull the oil dipstick or remove oil cap. If the motor doesn’t bog down and continues to run the same, the PCV is shot. With a working PCV, the motor will start running rough as soon as one of those things are removed.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
It's a simple DIY if you determine that the PCV unit is dead. I would not try to repair the diaphragm. Replace with a quality part.
Right, but you can inspect the diaphragm. The pcv is just a few bolts (careful not to overtighten and strip the threads of the valve cover - been there done that).

Maxikosta

Thanks heaps for the help everyone, I’ve just got my car back from my extended warranty (who don’t cover any oil leaks) who checked it out for me and they determined the Pcv was definitely dead which I’m assuming caused the rest of the oil seals to fail, I also copped a intake manifold code as well so looks like I’ve got a bit of work to get done to this car.

Just to clarify, I called up VW for a parts quote and they’ve told me the oil pan is a liquid sealant whereas the trans pan only comes as a replacement with the gaskets? Can anyone confirm that the trans pan only comes as a replacement or if there is an aftermarket alternative to seal it back up?

If anyone has any tips for replacing the Pcv or the gaskets/seals of the oil and trans pans that would also be greatly appreciated!

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
PCV is easy replacement, it's a few bolts/screws - should take 5/10 min.
oil pan isn't difficult but you need to get all the old sealant out. Look up mk6 gti oil pan seal on youtube and you'll find a guide.
Don't need to always buy stuff from dealer, check fcpeuro, ecstuning, and occasionally urotuning for good prices on oem or aftermarket parts (which work just fine). Uro have an intake manifold for sale if you need to replace the whole thing.

fsures

Passed Driver's Ed
Just a heads up - If you are going to have to remove the intake manifold (depending on milage) get the valves de-carboned. Better to not have to pay for the labor later down the road. Carbon cleaning the valves is not IF, it's When.

Maxikosta

Just a heads up - If you are going to have to remove the intake manifold (depending on milage) get the valves de-carboned. Better to not have to pay for the labor later down the road. Carbon cleaning the valves is not IF, it's When.
Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking the same thing, I’ve got the manifold off now (I’ve been busy so been working on it only when I can get the time) and have organised for someone to come and do a walnut blast tomorrow.

Maxikosta

Also found out my mechanic misdiagnosed me for an engine oil cooler gasket replacement but I found that my entire oil filter housing is leaking instead, can anyone give me a part number for this? I’ve been looking for it online as I don’t wanna pay VW’s prices and can’t seem to find it.