GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
word is BMS is getting into the TSI game with the JB4 (or variant of a juicebox plug and play tune).

Sure it's not big turbo, but with the support he has provided for the N54 Big Turbo world, could be interesting to see what happens with the new TSI over the next 1-2 years.

Shit, maybe I'll have to start commuting again to justifying buying a commuter car :thumbup:

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Isn't that more of a piggy back rather than a flash? The kind of thing that a MK6 wouldnt need the ecu opened perhaps?

Halvie

WOOSA
It didn't make shit for power - same as stock. We've redesigned the runners but we'll see if it actually makes a difference. I've yet to see any that have.

Is it more of a making sense money wise thing or a power thing? Believe use said Patrick's added 10-15 without a tune tweak.

If a money thing, why not charge a couple hundred for a tweaked tune that will work with the ie manifold?

How did you guys get that far into development(looked pretty far along) before knowing whether or not it was going to give any gains?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Is it more of a making sense money wise thing or a power thing? Believe use said Patrick's added 10-15 without a tune tweak.

If a money thing, why not charge a couple hundred for a tweaked tune that will work with the ie manifold?

How did you guys get that far into development(looked pretty far along) before knowing whether or not it was going to give any gains?

I'm not sure about Patrick. I assume you mean Patrick with the GLI at USP? I don't think he picked up any more power, but he also didn't have the same setup as you. It's more free flowing since the turbo was much larger. I do recall a ported head on his car being removed because it made less power, even with the freer flowing turbo setup.

With the manifold we only wanted to sell it if it made more power than stock, and or possibly if it had other added features / benefits that would make it worth while to sell. I can see that happening with some of the items like extra ports for injectors / water meth but I'm not sure if we'll have support for the injectors / meth. That may be one of those things where people are on their own which would be a break from what we typically do.

We tested the manifold and there simply weren't any gains with it. IIRC it was pretty hard to tell if a run was with it or without it. Since then we've hired new people, one person who has spent the past 20+ years working on improving flow on heads / manifolds and he went back into the project to see what he could gain. He was able to get quite a bit more on the flow bench, but we haven't tested the final product on the car to see if it will make any more gains or not. The bench doesn't always translate to real world gains. It may make more, but then again, it may not. This is similar to the way head porting doesn't always make more gains on every setup, even if it does flow better.

Essentially, the manifold has to be a restriction for it to make more power. Thus far, it's not looking like it is. Ultimately I'll need a little more data to know for sure.

P1NDLESK1N

Ready to race!
Essentially, the manifold has to be a restriction for it to make more power. Thus far, it's not looking like it is. Ultimately I'll need a little more data to know for sure.

I wouldn't even care if the new manifold made any more power. Deleting the intake runner flaps alone is worth it. Ever drive your car with them held open? Throttle response becomes so much smoother, and any extra NVH caused by stiffer engine mounts completely disappears.

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't even care if the new manifold made any more power. Deleting the intake runner flaps alone is worth it. Ever drive your car with them held open? Throttle response becomes so much smoother, and any extra NVH caused by stiffer engine mounts completely disappears.

Arent they open by default after cold start?

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Arent they open by default after cold start?

Closed shut until about 2.5k RPM. You can hold them open by disconnecting the arm that actuates the flaps on the drivers side of the manifold, or by holding it open with a zip tie. Car runs amazing when warmed up but for cold starts it'll misfire.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1188420

unless i'm missing something it should never be closed. you have the slats in the intake runners that it should either line up with or be completely open. i've personally never had trouble with it and its supposed improve your fuel economy. when you accelerate it should open.

I dont anticipate anyone making a carbon fiber intake manifold.

Did you ever get your wastegate figured out?

APR's prototype (or at least the picture i saw) looked just like the carbonio. but who knows.

i'm still waiting for my hose to show up. i ordered it over a week ago and still haven't received shipping info.

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion
unless i'm missing something it should never be closed. you have the slats in the intake runners that it should either line up with or be completely open. i've personally never had trouble with it and its supposed improve your fuel economy. when you accelerate it should open.

they never really "close". the closed position hes refering to is when the flaps line up with the dividers in the intake ports. up until 2500ish rpms they stay in that position. once open, the flaps lay down in the intake track on the manifold and allll the air comes flying in.

great for mpgs, and required on cold starts. i tried it once... its miserable on cold starts if you hold the flaps open lol once its warmed up, nice n smooth.

GlfSprtCT1

Go Kart Champion
ahhh ok i thought flapper position was dependent on throttle position not rpm.

the only issue with holding thr flaps open is a possible cel because of the angle sensor in the manifold itself. though ive been thinking of a way around that.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Only reason I would consider a new intake mani is aux injectors. Aesthetics are understandable but functionality wise I think it's too much money for what you get. 5th injector makes more sense to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.