GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Break In Questions

RicoA

Passed Driver's Ed
2008.5 TSI's still were on the FSI service plan. 5K intervals then was bumped up to 10K when they started offering free service up to 36K. That's 3 oil changes compared to 7. Its a budget cut.

Change your oil every 5K miles if you even THINK you're going beyond stock.

Yup.
I changed my oil at 3k for the first change and 5k after that. Of course car manufacturers are going to say you're good to go 10k between changes.
I drove my GTI hard from the test drive.

derekg6121

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah so I'm kinda skeptical about this but my brother seems convinced that there are small metal fragments that are generated by new pistons and such and that an oil change at 1k mi is in order to prevent harm. Thoughts?

Fastball

Ready to race!
My 2011 I purchased used is now a year old with less than 5200 on the odo. I had the oil changed for the first time on the car as far as the dealer can tell last week. I got my free 10k service, oil, rotate, diags, etc, all for free. On my last car, a 2003 Ford Taurus I changed the oil twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring no matter what the mileage was. With over 115k that car is still running perfectly. I know the owner.

I can see going up to 10k on an oil change but my personal limit is a year, no matter the mileage.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
My 2011 I purchased used is now a year old with less than 5200 on the odo. I had the oil changed for the first time on the car as far as the dealer can tell last week. I got my free 10k service, oil, rotate, diags, etc, all for free. On my last car, a 2003 Ford Taurus I changed the oil twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring no matter what the mileage was. With over 115k that car is still running perfectly. I know the owner.

I can see going up to 10k on an oil change but my personal limit is a year, no matter the mileage.

yes. as per vw its 10k/1 year...which ever comes first.

hpowders

Ready to race!
Damn. First day I was over 3000 rpm just accelerating from a red light. LOL!!

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
Thanks for the assurance

If I'm able to spin rubber box stock I wonder how insane it would be with stage 1.

Not sure if you have tuned since this post but if not; to answer your question, you should be able to mash it in 1rst and spin like mad into 2nd, all the way through 2nd and then chirp to 3rd. I can do this consistently on new rubber with a decent ambient temp outside. FUN.:w00t:

myMK6fool

Ready to race!
My buddies Dad is the Sales Rep I got my GTI from. He's been with VW for almost 8 years. He basically told me, flat out, "Don't worry about the "break-in" period. These [GTIs] are made to ride hard, right off the assembly line. Some countries use the GTI as a police vehicle. Think they break it in?" By all means, I didn't take it out and red line it the whole way home. I'm still "breaking it in" until I hit around 6K miles. Just for good measure and because I care about my car.

What are some thoughts of that.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
My buddies Dad is the Sales Rep I got my GTI from. He's been with VW for almost 8 years. He basically told me, flat out, "Don't worry about the "break-in" period. These [GTIs] are made to ride hard, right off the assembly line. Some countries use the GTI as a police vehicle. Think they break it in?" By all means, I didn't take it out and red line it the whole way home. I'm still "breaking it in" until I hit around 6K miles. Just for good measure and because I care about my car.

What are some thoughts of that.

6k is a bit too much. 1k should be a safe bet. people tune their cars with less then 1k and have no probs. vw covers their asses by saying take it easy till everything settles in, then beat the piss out of it.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
6k is a bit too much. 1k should be a safe bet. people tune their cars with less then 1k and have no probs. vw covers their asses by saying take it easy till everything settles in, then beat the piss out of it.

Part of it is probably to cue the driver to take it easy until he/she knows the car well enough to beat on it. Otherwise there'd be a few more sub-1000mi cars around trees :p

butchered by autocorrect

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
very old thread. everyone that is breaking in a motor needs to think about something for a second here. if you baby your motor and dont go over 3k rpms or whatever, that's all your motor is going to "break in" with. you need to fluctuate rpms so that the ring seat correctly and that you get even wear and tear with the cylinder walls and pistons and the rest of the motor. can you imagine if you "broke in" your motor never going over 3k rpms? and then after 1k miles you stomp on it til redline? your motor is like wtf!!!!!!! when i test drove my car ( i bought the car i test drove ), i stomped on it right out of the driveway and on the freeway. how else can you tell if you are going to enjoy the power of the car if you don't even know how it feels? to be honest there is no real break in period on these cars. drive your car like you friken stole it and enjoy it.:cool:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Again, drive the damn thing like you normally would. Its not going to hurt the car.