GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Build your own RSR clutch kit - Parts list

Stinger

Ready to race!
So for an update...

I've had the upgraded clutch (so not to call it RSR) for about 6 weeks. During that time I tracked the car once.

The first few days the pressure was low, close to the floor, but solid. It took me a bit to get accustomed to it at first but I was happy with the solid feel.

On track day I was pushing 6k rpm in 3rd gear most of the day (85 degrees outside temp), with occasional 4th gear at 4k rpm once I got comfortable with the car (first time tracking). The clutch behaved flawlessly.

It's been 3 weeks since the track and the clutch feels as solid as ever. The foot pressure is a little firmer than stock and grabs higher on the pedal, exactly how I hoped it would settle.

Again, I do not recommend PartSales from Estonia because of their terrible customer service. If you can source you parts elsewhere, I highly suggest you take that route and save yourselves a chunk of money.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
So for an update...

I've had the upgraded clutch (so not to call it RSR) for about 6 weeks. During that time I tracked the car once.

The first few days the pressure was low, close to the floor, but solid. It took me a bit to get accustomed to it at first but I was happy with the solid feel.

On track day I was pushing 6k rpm in 3rd gear most of the day (85 degrees outside temp), with occasional 4th gear at 4k rpm once I got comfortable with the car (first time tracking). The clutch behaved flawlessly.

It's been 3 weeks since the track and the clutch feels as solid as ever. The foot pressure is a little firmer than stock and grabs higher on the pedal, exactly how I hoped it would settle.

Again, I do not recommend PartSales from Estonia because of their terrible customer service. If you can source you parts elsewhere, I highly suggest you take that route and save yourselves a chunk of money.

thank you for updating us on your progression with your clutch. stoked it's working out for you because when the time comes I've decided to do something like this too.

BlackedOutMkv

Ready to race!
Finally got the clutch installed. Had my local VW dealership do the install for me, real stand up guys and was able to get me a good discount plus a loaner for two days (2014 Jetta 2.slow, slowest car I've driven in a long time. Materials and interior suck, but I'll save that rant for another day :) )

Onto the clutch. I had the TT-RS remanufactured pressure plate with the diesel clutch disk, OEM GTI Release Bearing and LUK DMF131 Flywheel installed. Woah, stalled real bad the first time. Theres a noticeable increase of pressure, but it engages maybe 1/6 of the way up the pedal where before it was almost halfway. Took a few laps around the street to get a good feel for it. Nothing new exactly, seems like everyone has the same thing to say about their first drive with this clutch.

Overall, feels good so far. Can't wait for the next 478 miles to hurry along so I can beat this sucker :)

I am stage 1 with Forge twintake and catback, btw. Plan to go k04 eventually, now that I can finally hold the power. Thanks a lot caukulin, save me a good chunk of change!

Anyone that wants to get it done, just do it and don't look back! lol

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
Finally got the clutch installed. Had my local VW dealership do the install for me, real stand up guys and was able to get me a good discount plus a loaner for two days (2014 Jetta 2.slow, slowest car I've driven in a long time. Materials and interior suck, but I'll save that rant for another day :) )

Onto the clutch. I had the TT-RS remanufactured pressure plate with the diesel clutch disk, OEM GTI Release Bearing and LUK DMF131 Flywheel installed. Woah, stalled real bad the first time. Theres a noticeable increase of pressure, but it engages maybe 1/6 of the way up the pedal where before it was almost halfway. Took a few laps around the street to get a good feel for it. Nothing new exactly, seems like everyone has the same thing to say about their first drive with this clutch.

Overall, feels good so far. Can't wait for the next 478 miles to hurry along so I can beat this sucker :)

I am stage 1 with Forge twintake and catback, btw. Plan to go k04 eventually, now that I can finally hold the power. Thanks a lot caukulin, save me a good chunk of change!

Anyone that wants to get it done, just do it and don't look back! lol

:clap:

grats man! in for the 500mile review! :thumbsup:

BlackedOutMkv

Ready to race!
VW Tech told me I should be fine with a 100 mile break in period with lots of stop and go. I did 150 miles and went ahead and started to drive a little spiritedly. My goodness, this thing really holds all the power. It feels like a new car! My OEM clutch has been slipping for almost a year, so I was so used to having to modulate the throttle to avoid going >12psi.

The clutch grabs so much harder, holds everything I throw at it, and has still has nice pedal pressure although its softened up a little and the pedal height has brought itself up slightly. I'm in love with this car again :) :) :)

Now time to find a good catted DP and go stage 2

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
VW Tech told me I should be fine with a 100 mile break in period with lots of stop and go. I did 150 miles and went ahead and started to drive a little spiritedly. My goodness, this thing really holds all the power. It feels like a new car! My OEM clutch has been slipping for almost a year, so I was so used to having to modulate the throttle to avoid going >12psi.

The clutch grabs so much harder, holds everything I throw at it, and has still has nice pedal pressure although its softened up a little and the pedal height has brought itself up slightly. I'm in love with this car again :) :) :)

Now time to find a good catted DP and go stage 2

thanks for the follow up. I really like my Unitronic DP, the sound is really nice paired with the OEM exhaust. Stage 2 is really, really nice. The power for me feels a lot smoother.. but now seriously considering a Frankenturbo, haha.

Do you have the part numbers and pricing for your clutch? Where did you source parts?

Also, how does the engagement point compare to OEM (ie higher or lower)? Im using a clutch stop that I really like, and made me think Ill likely have to adjust it when I get a new clutch.

thanks in advance. :D

Gatanes

Ready to race!
Can this kit hold Stage 2 with OEM flywheel?? My stock clutch is going to die pretty soon , so i decide to replace it but the prices of them are crazy , so this can be a pretty good option.
Any suggestion???

BlackedOutMkv

Ready to race!
thanks for the follow up. I really like my Unitronic DP, the sound is really nice paired with the OEM exhaust. Stage 2 is really, really nice. The power for me feels a lot smoother.. but now seriously considering a Frankenturbo, haha.

Do you have the part numbers and pricing for your clutch? Where did you source parts?

Also, how does the engagement point compare to OEM (ie higher or lower)? Im using a clutch stop that I really like, and made me think Ill likely have to adjust it when I get a new clutch.

thanks in advance. :D

I'll look into unitronic. I currently have a Eurojet CBE, and I definitely want something catted to avoid smell and still be able to pass emissions. K04 is still on my mind though, maybe sometime next year.

Same at the part numbers on the first page
TT-RS PP-07K 141 015 BX- $388.00 - ordered through local VW dealer with dealer discount
Euro TDI Disk- 03G 141 031 T- $188.00 online
OEM TOB- 0A5 141 671 F- $102.00- from local VW dealer
Total $678

Luk DMF131 Flywheel- $327. From partsgeek.com new

Total- $1005.00

I was slipping consistently for over 15k miles, and was starting to slip in 2nd gear so I assumed my flywheel was toast. Also didn't want to risk having to pay for labor twice. Pics my my battered and abused OEM flywheel below. 74k miles total on it.

Engagement is quite a bit lower, I had to remove my clutch stop to use this clutch. Theres NO way a clutch stop can be used with this, at least during this break in period. Maybe later on when the clutch pedal comes up a bit more.

DSCN0290 by SNapo98488, on Flickr
DSCN0291 by SNapo98488, on Flickr

Last edited:

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
I'll look into unitronic. I currently have a Eurojet CBE, and I definitely want something catted to avoid smell and still be able to pass emissions. K04 is still on my mind though, maybe sometime next year.

Same at the part numbers on the first page
TT-RS PP-07K 141 015 BX- $388.00 - ordered through local VW dealer with dealer discount
Euro TDI Disk- 03G 141 031 T- $188.00 online
OEM TOB- 0A5 141 671 F- $102.00- from local VW dealer
Total $678

Luk DMF131 Flywheel- $327. From partsgeek.com new

Total- $1005.00

My flywheel turned out not being THAT bad, probably could have re-used it without a problem. Decided to take the safe route and buy one anyways. Didn't want to pay for labor twice. I was slipping consistently for over 15k miles, and was starting to slip in 2nd gear so I assumed my flywheel was toast.

Engagement is quite a bit lower, I had to remove my clutch stop to use this clutch. Theres NO way a clutch stop can be used with this, at least during this break in period. Maybe later on when the clutch pedal comes up a bit more.

That was very concise, thank you kindly for your feedback and posting the order info. :thumbsup:

I think you made a good choice on getting a new FW with your history of long term slipping. Better to have peace of mind, and not install twice like you said. However, great to hear your OEM FW appeared in good shape. Makes me think I should be ok to reuse mine.

My local tuner uses a TTRS pp and a clutchnet disc. Difference is I've heard the engagement point is higher, and while that would be possibly faster for shifting, I really want to find something close to OEM. I'm sure they could help me get me what ever disc I want though, so your info is appreciated.

I paid about $700 for downpipe and install. I wanted a cat and glad I did as I still smell the exhaust in bumper to bumper traffic. I think catless would be too much fume for me, but.. no experience so hard to really compare.

If you can to the install yourself, maybe a godspeed and weld on a cat to save money? Not sure about fitment though. At the end of the day, I'm happy with what I got and Unitronic is makes some quality stuff. I really like the sound too. : )

Calkulin

Ready to race!

Congrats on the clutch and don't worry, the engagement will go back to almost stock levels after a couple of hundred miles, mine did the same thing when I installed it, I could barely engage the clutch leaving the shop after the install with the clutch stop but it went up slowly

Stinger

Ready to race!
So what exactly are the savings over going with the kit from HSTuning at this point?

Depends where you source your parts and if you pick refurb parts. My kit came to less than $700 (with a 2.5 months wait for a part) but can reach up to $1K for US sourced parts... HSTuning is $1.2K.

Diff strokes for diff folks.

Talguy

Go Kart Champion
I couldn't wait for the lead time for parts and the ended up buying the hstuning rsr kit. Ended up costing me $1k with free shipping.