GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bumper Guard - Worth it to spend the $?

Skychan

Passed Driver's Ed
I want your opinions. Should I buy the following bumper guard or not?

http://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/rearguards-by-rgm-vw-mk6-golf-gti-2010.html

Pretty sure there already is a piece of clear 3M protector over that spot of the bumper. I typically do lots of hauling of stuff throughout the year and am concerned about eventually scratching the paint by accident.

Do you think 3M protector is good enough or better with a plastic protector like in my link? My thinking is that scratches on a black piece of plastic won't be an eyesore compared to scratches on the actual body paint.

It's just kind of expensive, but its the only one I found that curves over the edge of the bumper, which I think is important. Other ones just sit on top.

Green_GTi

Ready to race!
It depends on how much heavy stuff you put in the back. The 3m protects against light things dropping and scraping. The thing in the photo looks pretty heavy duty. I've used the 3M on headlights, and my 337 had (from the factory) small 3M chip guards on the forward edges of the rear fenders.

Sent from the ether.

zrickety

The Fixer
Mine has no protection and is scratched up pretty bad. I'm not sure if one these will prevent all of them.

Skychan

Passed Driver's Ed
I got it and installed it. Easy to install. I think it looks appealing, it has purpose and I find it adds to a vehicle. It isn't as nice quality of plastic as I'd hoped. Unfortunately it seems to have had some small impact that has left a white streak in the BLACK plastic, u can see in the middle. This pic makes the hatch look more filthy than it really is lol.

Last edited:

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Mine has a few small scratches but I dont carry enough heavy items to warrant one of these. If you "load" a lot of items into your trunk then I guess it makes sense but its not that asthetically appealing. The 3M one isnt a bad idea, it all depends on what it is your hauling.

Edit: didnt see there were different color choices. If your car is black, the black one might not look bad. Carbon fiber might look cool too.

Skychan

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry guys, I had already bought and installed it. I posted the above pic of my bumper guard w/o any description. I added description now.