GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

burning oil, why?

mk6alex

I have been burning thru a lot of oil ever since I got a cobb accessport and so I replaced my PCV valve and I still go thru oil alot. I’m about to tryout liquimoly cuz i’ve been running castrol but idk what to do, my friend thinks it could be blowby and that i need a catch can but i haven’t read anywhere for mk6 needing catch can. Can anyone help me figure out how to diagnose where the oil is burning or how?

Drive a 2012 DSG

GolNat

Autocross Champion
How many quarts per mile?

Any oil around where the transmission meets the engine?

Have you pulled the plugs to see what they look like?

So if you flash back to a stock file it now longer burns oil!?!

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
1 quart of oil per 1000 miles is within VW spec. How much oil are you losing?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Castrol is junk. Liquimoly or mutual are superior.

Also look at your upper and lower timing covers for a small oil leak.

Catch can wont do much for losing oil.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Castrol is junk. Liquimoly or mutual are superior.

Also look at your upper and lower timing covers for a small oil leak.

Catch can wont do much for losing oil.

I beg to differ. I've had Motul, Total and Castrol (whatever you get at Walmart/Autozone) and had them sent out for Blackstone testing labs--no discernible difference other than the price tag.
Both also had similar amounts of oil burn between changes.
All the oil samples had one track day in there and around 5-6k miles.

I'm of the belief that any VW502 oil will do a good enough job.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Castrol isn't junk but of course you're gonna get better quality with liquimoly or amsoil and their prices reflect that.

Personally I have no problem with Castrol in my cars

mk6alex

Castrol isn't junk but of course you're gonna get better quality with liquimoly or amsoil and their prices reflect that.

Yeah I just put liqui moly in it and still burning crazy

mk6alex

I’m probs gonna take it to vw dealer or something and have them diagnose it. I don’t know what to do and I can’t figure out why it’s burning, I replaced the PCV and so I hope it’s not my rings but yeah idk what to do

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie

How do you know it's better based on just price? I also wanted to believe there are better oils to put into our engines although it all meets VW 502 requirements, but the Blackstone labs and personal experience with how much oil they burn seems to indicate I'm not getting much for paying anything over $25 for a 5-qt jug.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
There are cheap quality oils that use great additive packages like Mobil 1. A group 5 oil is gonna cost the most but offer superior protection.

I don’t use VW approved oil 🤫

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I’m probs gonna take it to vw dealer or something and have them diagnose it. I don’t know what to do and I can’t figure out why it’s burning, I replaced the PCV and so I hope it’s not my rings but yeah idk what to do.
Any oil around where the transmission meets the engine?

Have you pulled the plugs to see what they look like?

OP... these questions went unanswered, and are actually helpful to help you pinpoint where the oil is going; it can only go so many places. It's either leaking from the rear main (see above where trans meets engine question), or its getting burned up somewhere (rings, valve stem seals, etc.).

Again, as asked above, have the plugs been pulled/inspected? Is there any smoke from the exhaust? Do a compression test and post the results. There is plenty of 'free' trouble shooting you can do before you have the stealership rob you.

mk6alex

OP... these questions went unanswered, and are actually helpful to help you pinpoint where the oil is going; it can only go so many places. It's either leaking from the rear main (see above where trans meets engine question), or its getting burned up somewhere (rings, valve stem seals, etc.).

Again, as asked above, have the plugs been pulled/inspected? Is there any smoke from the exhaust? Do a compression test and post the results. There is plenty of 'free' trouble shooting you can do before you have the stealership rob you.
nope it’s getting burned up somewhere, i haven’t pulled plugs, you mean spark plugs correct? also what would i be looking for with those

mk6alex

also yes there is smoke from the exhaust everytime i barely even rev it a lot comes out