GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Build-up at 26K Miles

tracyface1999

Please help me with VWoA Complaint regarding Carbon build up.

I had this problem around 42K miles and the dealer refused to cover it under powertrain. I filed a complaint with VWoA and they ended up covering the repair ($980). If they won't cover it, open up a case with VWoA. Its worth the fight.
My car is at 44K and the dealer wont cover the cleaning ( $600).
Can you PM me with details on how you got VWoA to cover?

Thanks!

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
Can carbon build up can cause CEL ?

I have to go to dealership because mine is ON right now. Everything's fine, no error display, power is good, and gas cap is fine (non-modded car).

Since they change the mechatronic, the car goes fine, but there was a CEL before the Mecha.

It was ok for couple of days, and the CEL came on. It came off couple of days after...etc... Now it seems on all the time.

I wonder if it could be carbon build-up ? My GF now works in town, so she drives only in urban area during the week...

Thanks,

Rascal

Ready to race!
Can carbon build up can cause CEL ?

I have to go to dealership because mine is ON right now. Everything's fine, no error display, power is good, and gas cap is fine (non-modded car).

Since they change the mechatronic, the car goes fine, but there was a CEL before the Mecha.

It was ok for couple of days, and the CEL came on. It came off couple of days after...etc... Now it seems on all the time.

I wonder if it could be carbon build-up ? My GF now works in town, so she drives only in urban area during the week...

Thanks,

Highly unlikely it is carbon buildup. Possibly intake manifold. At least it was in my case. Car operated fine but was throwing codes.

barische

Go Kart Champion
u all talking about IV drip cleaning service.. Sounds pretty same as seafoam but with different solution. Why dont you try seafoam drip first urself. I and many other have done it without any issues. some are against it and some are for it. Do ur research as there is plenty of information regarding.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
you need to drive aggressively to prevent carbon build up. high RPM removes the carbon.

Not so much the RPM but the temperature. Running hot will help the burn off the cake-on stuff(think self-cleaning oven). Running it high load normally also will reduce the build up formation as it has less unburnt carbon in the exhaust...

zippy88

Passed Driver's Ed
Toyota's solution is to use 2 injectors per cylinder one direct and one port, they call it D4-S.

Without injecting gas before the valves, there isn't much you can do to prevent this. I'm sure these car manufacturers have tried everything and the best they can come up with is a complex and (probably expensive) dual injection system.

Best thing to do is just accept a valve cleaning as part of regular maintenance (like a DSG service).

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Toyota's solution is to use 2 injectors per cylinder one direct and one port, they call it D4-S.

Without injecting gas before the valves, there isn't much you can do to prevent this. I'm sure these car manufacturers have tried everything and the best they can come up with is a complex and (probably expensive) dual injection system.

Best thing to do is just accept a valve cleaning as part of regular maintenance (like a DSG service).

This- as its only a matter of when, not if you will need to have the valves manually cleaned completely. 45-60k miles or 4-6 yrs.

raaalph

Ready to race!

I think some people on here have managed to achieve similar results with a water/meth injection setup. Supposedly, the spray will clean off the intake side of the valves.

Gauge85

Ready to race!
Got mine cleaned at ~58k w/ intake manifold replacement. Very noticeable difference after they were clean.

Dirty Dirty:

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
Got mine cleaned at ~58k w/ intake manifold replacement. Very noticeable difference after they were clean.

Dirty Dirty:

Great photo. Did you take it? Were all four intake ports and valves equally dirty? Part of that soot looks like goop that dripped onto the valve stem from above - a leaky valve guide perhaps? It looks shiny, thick, oily and not baked. It also looks different from the black powdery layer of soot on the rest of the valve and the intake ports. Do we know the exact source of the crap? With regard to photos, did you take one after this was cleaned? How much of that came off?

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion

Gauge85

Ready to race!
Great photo. Did you take it? Were all four intake ports and valves equally dirty? Part of that soot looks like goop that dripped onto the valve stem from above - a leaky valve guide perhaps? It looks shiny, thick, oily and not baked. It also looks different from the black powdery layer of soot on the rest of the valve and the intake ports. Do we know the exact source of the crap? With regard to photos, did you take one after this was cleaned? How much of that came off?

I did not take this photo it was supplied to me by HS Tuning. The battery on their camera died so they were not able to take any after the cleaning :( From what I was told they were all equally dirty. I am not sure why there is the different color oily goop or what it is from. My thought was it was the same material that hadn't been fully "baked" on.