GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat16:Race For 10K Posts - Will Achieve Oct 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
Well... just to throw out an alternative translation of your experience... could it be merely that they were trying not to be "high pressure"? Likely NOT but just throwing that out there. When we bought my old Audi A6 years ago and my wife was still doing sales, she went into the dealer between client visits. She was driving my old A4 (wasn't "old" back then), in a suit (skirt), heels, etc. and couldn't get ANY of the sales guys to give her the time of day. She was asking specific "buying" questions and they didn't give a shit. In between getting irritated, an older couple (mid-50s?), husband/wife, with the husband wearing Dr. scrubs walk through the door and she said practically ALL the salesmen tripped over themselves running over to see if they needed help.

Wasn't until my wife name-dropped the owner of the dealership (he and I used to race together) that she got some traction.

Some dealers decide right away that you're not going to buy, and ignore you.

So far, ever since my Corvette some 17 years ago, when I go car shopping, I deliberately look like a scrub. If they treat me like a customer, they get my business. If they look me up and down... then fuck 'em.

I bought 3 Porsches from MotorWerks Barrington. Ratty shorts, Target flip flops, T-shirt. Treated like a serious customer from the time I walked in the door.

If you want to run over there I can point you to a sales guy or two to get you started on the Porsche side. They sell Porsche, BMW, Benz, Infiniti (and Honda but meh.)

The 996TT is the bargain of the century right now. Starting to rebound in value. And maintenance actually isn't bad... the turbo motor is based off the Mezger platform (which is what all the race car motors were based off of) - NOT the M96 platform that the non-turbos had (and were plagued with problems.)

Pretty easy to get 500+hp out of one, too.

Yep.

I am going to say no on the high pressure. I decided to swing by M&I today to look at a 996. Cockpit was quite roomy. Like more than I thought it would be. Storage was ridiculous. I mean I don't think you can even do a grocery store run with it. It had a man pedal :drool:. It had 70K miles and looked totally ratted out though. They also had it packed in the showroom so I wasn't going to have them spend 30 minutes trying to get it out for a drive. Not sure that's the car for me yet.

I am also like you in that i won't do business with someone that doesn't take me serious. I don't dress in a suite and dress shoes. That doesn't mean I am not a serious buyer. I wear jeans, plaid shirts and cowboy boots. I also have all my hair and in my 30s so people natural think I am some young punk looking for a joyride.

NOW, with that being said, Audi highland park was right down the street from M&I. Swung in there and was blown away by the difference in the way I was treated. Very cool and down to earth guys there. They had one RS3 that was sold so no driving it apparently. We worked some numbers for an order. They are not going under or over sticker at this point...because they are selling. They lowballed me on the trade. MG wouldn't even work numbers on an order for me. Said they couldn't order one and not to bother. Other than that, cool sales people. They spent a lot of time with me even knowing I wasn't doing anything today.

I told them I stopped at MG the other day and the manager said right away that he loves them because people always buy from him after visiting that store. I could see that.

I will do some more looking around. Right now, I am kind of leaning towards just keeping the R and doing a BT. After I get bored with that, maybe the RS3s will have dropped. Or even better, maybe the RS6 Avant will come over by then :drool:

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
Was gonna hit the drag strip today but they were closed due to the weather conditions. They open back up Friday 3pm and then for the weekend. I can't do this coming weekend, but could probably head there Friday. Anyone interested in going? GLD. Otherwise I will be going the following weekend.

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
Why does it have to be only 2 years old? Lots of gen II out there with 30k miles for half that

2012-556hp 551tq
2016-641hp 630tq

Plus the redesign, imo, looks great. The older models remind me of a lowered escalade. The new model has some aggressive looks t
Without being obnoxious. Plus almost 100 ho more from factory too. And better auto gear box

flying_solo

Go Kart Champion
Ewwww auto, gen III only comes in auto which saddens me. The HP is easy to match, I don’t know if the 3rd gen has that much more headroom over the II. It is slightly lighter and stiffer though. I do like the styling especially the 4 doors.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
2010 porsche cayman s....

good car?

thoughts?

2009+ is the year to go with.

DFI motor, no IMS bearing (so no IMS bearing issues). More power than the pre-2009 3.4L, better broader powerband. If you hate or can't drive with a man pedal, 2009 brought in the PDK. Otherwise largely minor updates (LED taillights, LED running lights, dynamic headlights, Bluetooth phone integration).

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Nope.

$29,000. Manual trans.

Not sure if this year suffers from that bearing issue or not. Seems like a nice car though. Decent power to curb weight ratio.

$29k for a 2010 Cayman S?

That's $10k under where they were priced a few months ago when I was thinking there was a chance I was going to get out of mine.

Unless the car is really rough that's a great price.

Headers, IPD plenum, GTB throttle body, and a Fabspeed tune - and they're supposed to be near 350hp...

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Extended warranty?

2009+ is the year to go with.

DFI motor, no IMS bearing (so no IMS bearing issues). More power than the pre-2009 3.4L, better broader powerband. If you hate or can't drive with a man pedal, 2009 brought in the PDK. Otherwise largely minor updates (LED taillights, LED running lights, dynamic headlights, Bluetooth phone integration).
Good information thanks, i think manual would be more thrilling for a car like the cayman. Even though no doubt the pdk is probably pretty awesome.

$29k for a 2010 Cayman S?

That's $10k under where they were priced a few months ago when I was thinking there was a chance I was going to get out of mine.

Unless the car is really rough that's a great price.

Headers, IPD plenum, GTB throttle body, and a Fabspeed tune - and they're supposed to be near 350hp...

Heres a link to the listing , just noticed has small accident on front end in 2011.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...earchRadius=0&makeCode1=POR&modelCode1=CAYMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.