GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat17: Boosted Learns How To Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Scenarios like that are cases where, sometimes, in the far corners of your brain, you almost sorta-kinda wish you'd hit the guy. Just so the entire universe, and especially him, know how stupid you know him to be.

Seriously! Not only the satisfaction of scaring the living shit out of this guy, but man it could have be C6Z time!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
uhh what? I've never told ANYONE to drive my car at 10/10. NO man NO

I have f/r swaybars along with pretty much all the suspension goodies. It's very well balanced in my opinion. Doesn't understeer like normal gti's at all. Doesn't get crazy tail happy either but I can definitely get the rear to rotate during trail braking. It's really nice in my opinion. I just want someone elses opinion so I can determine if I'm crazy or not.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie

I have f/r swaybars along with pretty much all the suspension goodies. It's very well balanced in my opinion. Doesn't understeer like normal gti's at all. Doesn't get crazy tail happy either but I can definitely get the rear to rotate during trail braking. It's really nice in my opinion. I just want someone elses opinion so I can determine if I'm crazy or not.

Don’t argue with the menstruating majority.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
As for Teh Jay's car... I have not driven it. I do get paranoid driving other people's cars on track... but maybe someday I'll take him up on his offer.

And a FWD can definitely be made tail happy. Hell my wife's GTI, 100% box stock, was pretty tail happy IMO the last time I AX'd it. Dive into a turn hard, flick the wheel and lift the throttle - and the tail comes right around.

The challenge, and where some of my paranoia comes from - is how to correct/react to it when it comes around. Fundamentally, I understand you generally want to add power, a bunch of it, to have the front "pull" you forward and straighten the car out. I haven't tracked a FWD car in so long I worry I'll just get myself into trouble.

Yep stock gti and especially a gti is definitely tail happy. With a rear sway bar all you need to do is slightly lift throttle and the rear will break loose. I hit a cone dead center in a slalom cause lift and counter steered back .

Mini Cooper Dave showed me some good trail braking techniques at autox around figure 8s , was a good time.

Your Porsche doesnt suffer from snap steering?
So when Jay says "Parade lap" he means full "SEND IT"? Ok got it. Jay make sure you have your Depends on. ;)

As for tail happy - yeah I get :yikes: when I see posts from guys just adding a rear sway bar on these things. If guys do both F/R then I can imagine it not being as "holy shit the rear came around again" because 100% stock, I had ZERO issues getting the tail out. It was WAY more tail happy than my 944, Cayman, the last GT4, or the last GT3, I've driven.

Most all of the P-cars tend towards understeer, especially as set up from the factory/dealership, so I guess one could say "feels like FWD" but I imagine that's where the similarities end. Trick to most P-cars is trail-braking to keep weight on the nose as you turn in.

Even my Cayman with an Olsen setup on it tends to push a little up front. I figured out from the last AX that, off throttle it pushes, hard throttle the tail wants to come around, so the "balance" is somewhere in the middle.

Might not be 100% the fastest, but it's certainly safe. Once I get more comfortable with the car I'll probably have Tim dial in more off-throttle oversteer.

Lexus? Such a snoozefest.

I can't believe the GoRf is $40k+. Elgin VW has one on the floor, 6sp man pedal car, looks nice, looked at it when I dropped the wife's Mk6 off for service. Sticker was $41k.

I love the Golf/GTI and think it's a great platform but holy shit $41k for a Golf?

But to your original question.... 30-40k range for a new car.

Is that "new" car (new to you) or BRAND NEW (0 miles new car warranty) car?

Lots of options for ~40k that are 1-2 years old and CPO.

I've heard of the phenomenon where places like hospital nursing staff, etc., places where lots of women work together, their cycles start to align.

Oh god is that what's happening here??!

Fucking beta male self righteous hipsters with their virtue-signaling electric cars.

Scenarios like that are cases where, sometimes, in the far corners of your brain, you almost sorta-kinda wish you'd hit the guy. Just so the entire universe, and especially him, know how stupid you know him to be.
41k is way too much for a golf R, the only perk to buying a new volkswagen now is the the extended 6 year warranty that comes with them.

Lexus, agreed on snoozefest. I feel the same about most mercedes benz.

Comical they are the big name in f1, Have never seen a mercedes benz at a track or autox event. :iono:

Im sure its a great daily car but benz isnt for me. Lexus, infiniti etc those brands i just cant shake the fact that underneath they are toyota/nissan.
I want you to jump my car at grattan, send it Jim
Wow Jay :rolleyes:

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Your Porsche doesnt suffer from snap steering?

Nope. Nothing I couldn't figure out and correct for.

Most of the "myth" of Porsche being widowmakers goes back to the mid 70s when the 930 first came out. Rich idiots with zero driving skill in a car whose power curve was an on/off switch would get in over their heads in the canyons, do the exact opposite of what you're supposed to do (in any car, not just Porsche) and kill themselves.

They're nowhere near as bad as the hype.

I autocrossed a GT3 for a national event a few years ago after my 944 broke down, I drove it hard, and it was actually pretty neutral feeling. And I've ridden right seat with a really competent driver in an '86 Carrera on track and it was pretty balanced and intuitive. Dive in hard, starts to push, a little check-up on the pedal to get the rear end to rotate, then get back on the gas to settle down and power out.

41k is way too much for a golf R, the only perk to buying a new volkswagen now is the the extended 6 year warranty that comes with them.

Lexus, agreed on snoozefest. I feel the same about most mercedes benz.

Comical they are the big name in f1, Have never seen a mercedes benz at a track or autox event. :iono:

Im sure its a great daily car but benz isnt for me. Lexus, infiniti etc those brands i just cant shake the fact that underneath they are toyota/nissan.

We had an AMG couple show up at a PCA autocross a few years ago.

All the thing did was sputter and fart against the traction control. When the dude turned the TC off, all it did was broil tires. The German equivalent to the Chrysler Demon/Hellcat/Trackhawk lineup. Great for those highway roll races where you start racing at 100mph.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Just e-filed my property tax appeal.

Fuck this county. Fuck this state. Trying to jack my taxes up AGAIN, and I'm damn near $30k over-assessed.

Jaber

Modero
Just e-filed my property tax appeal.

Fuck this county. Fuck this state. Trying to jack my taxes up AGAIN, and I'm damn near $30k over-assessed.

Just got our first water bill, with having to water the new sod and grass. Luckily I don't have a car payment this month :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.