GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat17: Boosted Learns How To Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Sorry uglyguy, I've interviewed a bunch of people over the years but honestly I'm usually just as nervous because the pressure is so high to pick the right person. I don't have any solid advice for ya other than don't talk too much. Be friendly but also be precise in your words. I hate when I ask a direct question and somehow they start talking about their dog or something.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry uglyguy, I've interviewed a bunch of people over the years but honestly I'm usually just as nervous because the pressure is so high to pick the right person. I don't have any solid advice for ya other than don't talk too much. Be friendly but also be precise in your words. I hate when I ask a direct question and somehow they start talking about their dog or something.
Jay-
"We are looking for someone we can train quickly, a real fast learner.."

Omg thats totally me, speaking of fast learner you should see my 4 year old lab.. heres a photo of her.. she was so easy to train. Do you have dogs jay?

Jay- (blank stare) "well, anyways thanks for coming in today we will be in touch. Goodbye (closes office door)

Jay-
(Turns on computer, huge dog wallpaper background) "daaaah whosmybabygurlyesyouare"

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
I ask “how in my position can I help you achieve your goals for your position?” Or something to that extent. Dunno if it helps or hurts. I’ve always thought it was a good question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good one.

I generally don't judge people for not having questions if they're fairly far along in the interview process. Usually by the time they get to me in person, they've gone through 2 phone screens and 3-4 people in person. I'd like to hope they got their questions answered by that point.

Usually I'll have 1-2 questions that I give to everybody, along the lines of "what's the worst thing about working here?" or "What's one thing you wish you could change about this place?" or "What's one thing you think that's a risk for the future in this place?"

Demonstrates strategic thought, and it's also interesting to get a perspective of what the various people think.

Note that, as the person giving the interview - I'm also not afraid to flip it back around on them if *I* get asked that question (after I answer it.) I'd expect them to have done a little bit of research into the company, read some industry mags or blog articles, etc. Interesting to see what THEY think is an area where the company might improve.

Yeah IMO if you don't know the answer, don't dance around and fill the time with bullshit. Be honest and succinct.

Jay-
"We are looking for someone we can train quickly, a real fast learner.."

Omg thats totally me, speaking of fast learner you should see my 4 year old lab.. heres a photo of her.. she was so easy to train. Do you have dogs jay?

Jay- (blank stare) "well, anyways thanks for coming in today we will be in touch. Goodbye (closes office door)

Jay-
(Turns on computer, huge dog wallpaper background) "daaaah whosmybabygurlyesyouare"

LOL

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Had a Portillos double bacon burger last night.

Was pretty good. I'd eat it again. Could use more ketchup (which I was able to fix myself at the table.) Definitely will be on my list next time I'm in the mood for a burger and want to stay local-ish. I still prefer Goodfellas burgers over Portillos BUT it was good.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Another good thing is to pause before answering anything. That case if you have a question you don’t a great answer to it’s gives you a chance to think it through before answering and they don’t know you don’t know it because you’ve taken the same amount of time to respond to everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Don't say um. If you are a person that says um in between words you should really practice not doing that. People are judgemental, sucks but it is what it is. You automatically appear less intelligent as soon as the second um is muttered.

That and pause so you don't say UHM if possible also I really like it when I interview or am interviewed to use the STAR method to respond to questions and I hope that my interviewee is doing the same
S - situation (what was it)
T - task (what's needed)
A - action (what was done... or not done)
R - result (what was the outcome)

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Big must when it comes to interviews...find out their political side and talk politics with them. 60% of the time it works everytime. Do it.

jay745

That and pause so you don't say UHM if possible also I really like it when I interview or am interviewed to use the STAR method to respond to questions and I hope that my interviewee is doing the same
S - situation (what was it)
T - task (what's needed)
A - action (what was done... or not done)
R - result (what was the outcome)

Thats a good approach. I don't structure it as much but essentially stick to that. I'm really good at public speaking, I have to give presentations to large audiences a few times a year. That translates a lot to interviews for me, same concepts, have to be very precise and direct.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
dang, slow day in here. Everyone off work or something?

Nope, as the title says, doing actual work. Plus I had a burrito for lunch and it wrecked my anoos - that isn't helping matters

jay745

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
My spoon is too big!

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Big must when it comes to interviews...find out their political side and talk politics with them. 60% of the time it works everytime. Do it.

LOL

In other news.... gun threat at son's HS this morning. #nice

Arrested the kid who made the threat on social media. 18 y/o senior so charged him with a felony. Nice way to ruin your life before even getting started.

Status
Not open for further replies.