GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch engagement and shifter questions

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
I’ve got just over 115k on my original (assumed) clutch. Recently, it seems as if the engagement point is getting closer to the floor. Is this something that happens as the clutch wears? I’m not familiar with modern stickshifts (I’m used to my air-cooled vw and it’s not hydraulic so the engagement point lowers as the cable stretches).

I’ve also noticed that it’s harder to get in and out of gear (going into 1st or reverse, and coming out of second at low speeds like in traffic. Seems my shifter bushings are ok and I don’t notice any alarming play. But my shifter does move forwards and backwards from neutral quite a bit without the clutch depressed. I’ll try to attach a video, but I don’t have any trouble with any other gears.

Any advice for me?

Link to Video
https://youtube.com/shorts/dx9Qlu7aAJc

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
The clutch is self adjusting so as it wears it’s not suppose to change anything really but it might get to a point where it’s maxed out and the clutch is just too worn.

My car was hard getting into 1st, 2nd and reverse and replacing the MTF helped.

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
The clutch is self adjusting so as it wears it’s not suppose to change anything really but it might get to a point where it’s maxed out and the clutch is just too worn.

My car was hard getting into 1st, 2nd and reverse and replacing the MTF helped.
I forgot to state that I’ve done the 6th gear WOT test and it pulls fine without any slippage.

MTF, meaning the fluid? Sorry I’m not familiar with that acronym. 😣

GolNat

Autocross Champion
MTF - manual transmission fluid

Id change the MTF fluid and bleed out the clutch fluid and add fresh unless you will be doing the clutch soon then just wait and do it all then.

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
I’d like to replace the clutch, but I don’t know which one I really want based on price and performance. I’d like to tune my car at some point so I’d prefer an upgraded clutch, but they are so expensive and I don’t really know what I need.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yeah it’s not a cheap thing to replace. Get whatever is in your budget but I’d go a little more beefy then you think just to be on the safe side.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Southbend clutch is the best for our cars. Or a DKM clutch if you’re on a budget

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
Yeah it’s not a cheap thing to replace. Get whatever is in your budget but I’d go a little more beefy then you think just to be on the safe side.
I’d like a sprung disk and not much heavier pedal since it is my commuter car. My ‘72 Bug has a super heavy clutch and it sucks in traffic. It’s maybe 3x harder than the gti.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I have the RSR and it’s not to heavy. I don’t sit in traffic tho so can’t really tell you how that is.

Yea that’s normal. The shifter mechanism has a lot of plastic that wears and gets sloppy. A diesel geek six sigma kit will fix it.

torga

Autocross Champion
I've had an RSR for about 10k mi and it's been great. I sit in traffic almost every day and it's a champ at stop-and-go. Pedal effort is maybe 15% heavier than stock after it breaks in and settles out. Holds K04 power, as well.
I'd call it the Commuters' Stage 2 Clutch.