GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch pricing

gtrude

I’ve read a few threads in the subject, and the outlook isn’t good.

I’m at 140k miles and my main rear seal went, so I figured I’d look into swapping out the original clutch (running stage 2, so…)

Price to replace the main seal is $1400. Adding the clutch replacement is taking me to $2400-$4000. Some places are telling me I’ll need a new flywheel, others say I don’t. I’ve no idea what is true.

Maybe my brain hasn’t caught up with inflation, but even the low end of $2400 seems crazy!

Curious what you guys think? After putting all the goodies on my car, and having just paid it off in sept, I’m having a hard time accepting that the repair of a wear item will justify basically scrapping the car (or whatever the dealership would do with a trade in in this condition)

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
2400 isn't too far off what I paid years ago to have my clutch done at an indy shop. Upgraded to a south bend clutch after I slipped immediately after going stage 2. A good portion of the cost is labor. Not a fun DIY driveway job. A necessary evil.

what clutch were you going to do?

gtrude

2400 isn't too far off what I paid years ago to have my clutch done at an indy shop. Upgraded to a south bend clutch after I slipped immediately after going stage 2. A good portion of the cost is labor. Not a fun DIY driveway job. A necessary evil.

what clutch were you going to do?
I dunno. I’m still having sticker shock over the OEM prices. Any recommendations?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I dunno. I’m still having sticker shock over the OEM prices. Any recommendations?
You said you're stage 2 now. Take into consideration your ambitions to mod more power. most after market clutch kits list appropriate power levels for the given clutch. Do the right clutch now or do it again later at 2x the price.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Just got my clutch & RMS done 2 weeks ago. Invoiced $3,300 with labor to also install an ECS Clutch Bleeder Block & Stainless Steel Clutch Line.

$2,400 for the RMS alone does sound high. I paid about that for only the clutch install with parts on my last mk6 gti about 2-3 years ago.

One thing to point out: always compare the price of the repair to an equivalent car. Yeah, $2,400 on a 10 year old car may not be great, but even if you sell it for 6k and put that 2k into the pot - for 8k the best car you can get is another GTI in the same condition as the one you have. So may aswell upgrade your clutch and do the timing chain/tensioner system.