GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

coding for led lights (ed's)

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
I have a 2012 TDI with euro taillight no fog and Ed headlight. Byte 18 is set to 21 and everything work! no bulb error!

awesome note. thanks for posting that!!!

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
BYTE 18 - is 20
BYTE 14 - is 09 (check bit 3)
BYTE 15 - is C4 (check bit 6, bit 7)
BYTE 24 - is E4 (check bit 7)
BYTE 27 - is 24 (check bit 2)

This worked perfectly for me! Also I get no more errors at all, ever. I have an 086 L CECM. So happy.

Thanks to Jason for the coding and to the other Jason who physically did the VCDS coding.

tnrst1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys, I was able to get the switch out by pushing from behind while pulling at the same time.

Now if I could only get the LED's to work as both DRL's & parking lights, and then be off with the headlights I would be completely happy.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys, I was able to get the switch out by pushing from behind while pulling at the same time.

Now if I could only get the LED's to work as both DRL's & parking lights, and then be off with the headlights I would be completely happy.

let me know whats going on, i can always meet you and see what is going on.
since we are neighbors and all........ lol

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
Just a suggestion Jason: if your up for it, maybe update the original post with information on coding for all types of scenarios that are confirmed to work. Include all possible variables/details (Euro switch, LED tails, CECM type, LEDs as DRLs...) food for thought!

That way nobody (like me) will be posting asking for answers to questions that have already been answered.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
i will try to do this on thursday when i am sitting in the airport, right now i am pressed for time on certain issues for work. but i will get around to it at some point. lol

ErsteGTI

Ready to race!
What if you have byte 18 as 1F (LED tails no fog)?

I don't have any Ed's lights, just wondering because will probably get them in the future.

I have Byte 18 set to 1F too bc I've got LED tails. I have Eds lights and so if you get the lights follow the link on post#82 of this thread. Lissav set the coding without changing byte 18. You need a EuroSwitch though.:w00t:

michal

Go Kart Champion
Maybe this info will be helpful for someone.

I was coding Ed's headlights and tail lights yesterday. A guy who had them installed has a 2010 GTI. He had a halogen headlights before. When he got his halogen headlights, he disabled the DRL's using the turn signal stalk. Then he installed Ed's headlights without enabling them again. When I pluged in vag com, in vcds the DRL's were set as active but they did not work. We were unable to activate them using the turn signal stalk again. I was trying many codes for byte 18 and in the end I activated DRL's. Then I used info from the first post in this thread and everything was working but we still got the bulb out error. I was trying a few codes for byte 18 again and for him only 04was working.

His car was build 1/2010 (halogen headlights)
He has installed both: Ed's headlights and tail lights

I think that if anyone disabled the DRL's (halogen headlights) manually using the turn signal stalk metod, he should activate them the same way again before installing Ed's headlights. It was a PITA to activate them again with a vag com.

Last edited:

tnrst1

Passed Driver's Ed
let me know whats going on, i can always meet you and see what is going on.
since we are neighbors and all........ lol

I almost tried to find you yesterday. I was in Monroeville which is one river closer to you than usual.

I'm not having any problems, I just think I'm trying to do something that is difficult or impossible to do. I might play around with bit 18 some to see what the different configurations do. I heard the scandinavian one is unique.

One of these days we'll get together. You don't have any interest in playing softball do you?

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
i will try to do this on thursday when i am sitting in the airport, right now i am pressed for time on certain issues for work. but i will get around to it at some point. lol

...this isn't more important than work? Get your priorities straight man :lol:

GTIGTI1

Ready to race!
Michal, thanks for the coding! Everything is working great now. I know it was a pain to find the right code but hopefully the information will help someone in the future.

WizGTI11

Got a quick question.... Is there anyway to get an LED city light that wont set off the light code??? Or is there an Amber bulb for the city light i can put in.. having a hard time finding one that wont set the code off... i know it has to do with the watts but still no luck...

tnrst1

Passed Driver's Ed
Preface: I have a 2012 TDi and I installed an auto euro switch with the bold-sport sensor.

With a little more work last night I discovered several things. The stock headlight has 5 inputs: low beam, high beam, turn signal, separate drl light, parking light as part of the high beam.

The rep headlight only has 4 inputs for lights: low beam, high beam, turn signal, led's. There are other inputs but they must do other stuff like run the motors. With this setup you can either have the led's as parking lights (byte 18 as 03) or drl (byte 18 as 20). For me, as parking lights they will be on when the headlights are on and on when switched to parking light only position or as DRL they will be on when the head light is off and off all other times/positions. In short, there seems to be no need to mess with the connectors unless you don't have access to VCDS or VAG-COM. Everything that can be done by changing pins can be done through coding.

I have found no way through coding to have the LED's double as DRL's and parking lights. Like I said before, I think the only way to accomplish this is by jumpering the two circuits together, either in the headlight, in the connector, or (new idea) at the fuses. If this was done, I believe the LED's would be on all the time and there should be no bulb out warnings.

Does anybody know which fuses are for the DRL and parking lights? It would be easiest to test this in the fuse boxes rather than messing with the connectors. That is a bit of a pain.

I finally got around to putting my theory into action last night and it worked as expected.

I made a clip out of galvanized duct material to connect pins 4 & 10 out of the cars 14 pin connector so that the led input into the headlight has voltage when either the DRL's are active or the parking lights are active. My byte 18 is coded as 03 for NAR Golf. The thin sheet metal does not stop the connector from plugging into the headlight so I can run with it in there. The behavior is now as follows:

LED's on as DRL's and I have the LED turn off with the turn signal for that side.
LED's are also on with my euro switch in the parking light position. They stay on with turn signals here.
LED's are on with headlights. They stay on with turn signals here too.

The only times the LED's are off is if I disable DRL's in the MFD or with the parking brake on. I should also mention I have no error codes with this setup.

I played around with trying to get the LED's to dim/off when the low beams were on or with turn signals and parking but I haven't been success with that yet. I saw a video where the OEM ones do that so I figured it might be possible.

tnrst1

Passed Driver's Ed
Got a quick question.... Is there anyway to get an LED city light that wont set off the light code??? Or is there an Amber bulb for the city light i can put in.. having a hard time finding one that wont set the code off... i know it has to do with the watts but still no luck...

The LED's are the city light so I can't think of a way to just put a bulb in. You need to check the byte for "LED module installed". Without this set you are bound to get a code.