GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Continental Extremecontact DW's good or bad

fuelforfire87

Ready to race!
Was thinking of picking up a set of 235/40R18's of the continental DW's as I can get them for a good deal on discount tires ebay store but was wondering what opinions anyone has of them. I read reviews and its a mix between they wear out really quick and are noisy to they grip good for the price considering its not a MPSS. Also people say the sidewall is softer than most tires. I have 2 sets of tires, one for the winter and the other for the summer, and am currently running Nitto NT555 g2's for the summer and just recently got Continental DWS 06's for the winter. I like the way the nitto's handle but they are on a 18x8 with a 225/40 and there isn't any curb protection. However they do hook up decently and are good in corners. Since the NT555 g2 is not currently offered in a 235/40 series I was looking for a good alternative. I know MPSS is supposed to be the best but I can't justify $200 per tire on my daily driver so looking for good alternatives.

zrickety

The Fixer
You won't be disappointed. I have the old DWS with the supposed soft sidewalls and they never let me down. I drive pretty hard.

beygan

Ready to race!
I don't have too much experience with Continentals but my dad's 2014 Passat TSI has ContisportContacts on his and I took it for a quick run on the canyons and they grip pretty well.

No complaints about the soft sidewalls. I'm pretty sure that will be in big affect if you have thicker tires like my dad's 235 45 18s.

But I have a better recommendation for you. Hankook Ventus V12 EVO. Everybody who has tried these tires will say they are good. The tire shop I purchased a pair from for my new GTI even confirmed saying it is "the" tire to get for good performance.

On another note, they're decent tires all round. Good performance, quiet, and run true. They also are kind of soft at the sidewalls but nothing out of the ordinary.

I suggest you check those out as well though you won't go bad with Continentals. I prefer them over my stock Pirelli P Zero Neros. Those were loud.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I run DW in the summer and I really like them. They're not any noisier than the OEM Dunlops, and I haven't seen any excessive wear. Grip is excellent, especially in the wet.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I run DW extreme contacts. Best tires ive had. They grip well and are amazing in wet/rainy conditions.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
I ran the extreme contacts this year, first year for dedicated summer tire, and I'm going to need new front tires next year. I don't track, but I am a spirited driver, so that is probably what caused the increased wear, as the back tires are fine. For wet conditions these tires are great. There is no downside to this tire in the rain. I cannot compare them to any other summer tire for dry traction, but they have held up to my driving. I wouldn't have any reservations about purchasing these tires, especially for the price.

GuiltySpark

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the DW's on my RX-8 prior to buying my GTI and loved them. Plenty of dry traction, weren't any louder than anything else I've used and confidence inspiring in the wet. I'll be picking up a set for my GTI once these Bridgestones that came with it wear out.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I ran the extreme contacts this year, first year for dedicated summer tire, and I'm going to need new front tires next year. I don't track, but I am a spirited driver, so that is probably what caused the increased wear, as the back tires are fine. For wet conditions these tires are great. There is no downside to this tire in the rain. I cannot compare them to any other summer tire for dry traction, but they have held up to my driving. I wouldn't have any reservations about purchasing these tires, especially for the price.

Do you rotate your tires?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Not within one season I don't. I put the tires on, brand new, in May.

Its rotate based on mileage not age. How many miles have you done in that time? lol

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
roughly 6000 miles

Not to bad. I Try and rotate mine every 5k miles. But your not to over. I had my tired rotated a month ago and they fronts were 1-2mm lower than the rear but still really good.

Rears before rotation was 7/32s the fronts were 5/32s.(some parts of front were 6/32s it was a laser reader that measured like 4 spots per each tire)

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
Not to bad. I Try and rotate mine every 5k miles. But your not to over. I had my tired rotated a month ago and they fronts were 1-2mm lower than the rear but still really good.

Rears before rotation was 7/32s the fronts were 5/32s.(some parts of front were 6/32s it was a laser reader that measured like 4 spots per each tire)

I don't have anything to measure tire wear, but it is definitely noticeable difference. The back tires look pretty damn good. The fronts are damn near the tire wear indicator

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I don't have anything to measure tire wear, but it is definitely noticeable difference. The back tires look pretty damn good. The fronts are damn near the tire wear indicator

Oh hmmm. I just went to my dealer for them to check my AC awhile ago and they ran the car over the little laser measure complimentary to check tire wear before. Im sure a tire place has a machine just like it or close. But if you can already see the diffrence those are pretty far.

With the F23T and it seems the heavy foot lol you may wanna think about rotating your tires every 2-3k miles so you can make them last longer.

Or just buy a 2 new ones(Put in rear and move old rears to front) and keep changing every 6-7k miles lol

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
Oh hmmm. I just went to my dealer for them to check my AC awhile ago and they ran the car over the little laser measure complimentary to check tire wear before. Im sure a tire place has a machine just like it or close. But if you can already see the diffrence those are pretty far.

With the F23T and it seems the heavy foot lol you may wanna think about rotating your tires every 2-3k miles so you can make them last longer.

Or just buy a 2 new ones(Put in rear and move old rears to front) and keep changing every 6-7k miles lol

I'll take a picture and put it on here just to show the difference, but yea definitely going to have to do the 2nd option this time around.