GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CowTownRacer's Build Thread (finally) - 2012 CSG GTI

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
CowTownRacer's Build Thread
(Updated 01.21.2021)

So I've been a member here for almost two years and I thought it was about time I put up my car journal. First, I want to thank everyone on the thread for helping with this journey. This GolfMK6 is an awesome resource and I wouldn't be able to do this without all the help! The list of mods for my CSG beauty has actually started to grow pretty extensive, so it seems like it's the right time to start a journal and bring you all along for the rest of the ride. As with everyone else's build threads, I'll reserve this first post for updates and keep major changes in new posts.

Car Info
Year: 2012
Model: GTI w/ Sunroof & Nav
Color: Carbon Steel Gray
Body: 2 Door
Current Mileage: 27.6K

Mod List
Engine Mods:
P&Ped IE K04 Kit
Stratified ProTune
IE Intercooler
Neuspeed HI FLO Turbo Discharge Pipe
Neuspeed HI FLO Air Charge Pipe
APR Oil Catch Can and Boost Tap
Cobb Intake
SPM Turboback Exhaust (with resonator delete)
Fluidampr Engine Damper
OEM R8 Ignition Coils
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
GFB DV+
Rennline Battery Mount and Odyssey PC925T

Suspension:
Bilstein B16 PSS10
Unibrace XB
Unibrace UB
Unibrace RB
SuperPro Supaloy Light Weight Lower Control Arm Ki
SuperPro Roll Control Ball Joints
H&R Sway Bar - Front 26mm
SuperPro Front End Links
034 Motorsports Rear Sway Bar
034 Motorsports Rear End Links
034 Motorsports Front Subframe Locking Collar

Wheels and Tires
Neuspeed RSE10 18x8.0 Gun Metal Satin
235/40/r18 Michelin PS4S

Clutch and Transmission:
Southbend Stage 2 Daily
Wavetrac Limited Slip Differential
iabed Rear Main Seal
USP Stainless Steel Clutch Forks
APR Pendulum Mount
VWR Motor Mount Kit
BFI Stage 1 Engine and Transmission Mounts
APR Adjustable Short Shifter
IE Solid Shifter Cable Bracket
Stainless Steel Clutch Line
DieselGeek Shifter SHAFT Bushing Kit
Torque Solutions Solid Shifter Endlink Inserts
BMS Clutch Stop

Interior:
RCD 330 Plus
P3 Cars Vent Multigauge
RFB Automatic Headlight Conversion Kit
Double Apex USB Charger
Raceseng Slammer
RFB Automatic Headlight Conversion Kit
Weathertec Floor Mats
BFI Leather Shift Boot (red stitching)
Klii Steering Wheel Badge and Seat Lever inserts
Ziza Interior LED Kit
Rennline Billet Pedal Set
USP Hatch Pop Kit
Double Apex Hatch Pop Button

Exterior:
OEM LED Tail Light Set - Black Cherry
Rough Style Bumper Side Marker Set - Clear
deAutoLED License Plate and Euro Tailight Reverse LEDs
Strafe Design Rear Diffuser

Mods Coming Soon
Stratified Aux Fueling Kit
Aquamist HFS-4

Photos

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
I was wondering why I couldn't find your build thread! Thought the forum was just glitching out or something. You've done plenty to your car - how's it ride with those Bilsteins?

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
I was wondering why I couldn't find your build thread! Thought the forum was just glitching out or something. You've done plenty to your car - how's it ride with those Bilsteins?
Ha! You couldn't find it cause I'm a lazy shit and it took me a year and a half to post!

The Bilsteins are great in the corners, but they don't pass the wife test. I ride with them on the softest setting unless I'm doing some mountain runs or what have you. Even on the softest setting, he I-5 heading into and out of downtown Seattle is like an old wooden rollercoaster. I still love them though.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Looking great!! Awesome progress so far.

In for the K04 :cool:

torga

Autocross Champion
Ha! You couldn't find it cause I'm a lazy shit and it took me a year and a half to post!

The Bilsteins are great in the corners, but they don't pass the wife test. I ride with them on the softest setting unless I'm doing some mountain runs or what have you. Even on the softest setting, he I-5 heading into and out of downtown Seattle is like an old wooden rollercoaster. I still love them though.
Do they bounce much? Or behave pretty well? Seattle is a city I may potentially move to in the not-too-distant future.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Do they bounce much? Or behave pretty well? Seattle is a city I may potentially move to in the not-too-distant future.

On shitty roads they are noticeably more bouncy than stock. But I am fine with the level of bounce. Let me know if you come out!

Looking great!! Awesome progress so far.

In for the K04 :cool:

So am I!

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Bought the BFI leather shift boot on Black Friday and finally got it today. Was able to get it installed with the help of my wife. Had to trim it a bit to make it fit. I think it came out really well and looks good with the raceseng Slam. Much better that the cheap OEM that I had to fold up to make work with the Slam.

torga

Autocross Champion
Yes, yes, that looks muy muy good. I was thinking about getting their alcantara boot, myself.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
So I have my IE K04 that's been P&Ped by SoCal porting. I also just bought an IE intercooler and PTP turbo blanket. During these corona days, my plan is to get the k04 w/ blanket, intercooler, neuspeed charge and discharge pipes and APR catch can all installed. Then I'll mount the RSE10s with some Michelin rubber :D

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Finally completed the K04 install along with the IE intercooler, Neuspeed charge and discharge pipe, APR catch can and Neuspeed RSE10 wheels plus Michelin PS4S tires. Total time to install the K04 and intercooler (plus other go fast parts) was about 2 weeks with me taking my sweet time and also waiting on parts to update the timing chain tensioner during this COVID-19 crisis.

I've also been working with Stratified to get a protune that works well with my mods. By the second revision, I'm feeling pretty good about how everything is going.

Posting some pics that were posted in other threads, just to keep them in one place.

First few pics are the IE K04 and then the ported and polished K04 that was ported for me by SoCal Porting. Thanks guys!

I started this project with the IE intercooler install. Pics below show the front end pulled

Next, I found the old style tensioner in my car, so that added an extra $300 and about 4 hours to my build time.

Removing the old K04 was a bit of bitch. I stripped the drain plug that holds the heat shield to the block. This is a very common problem, and I think everyone should try to get this bolt from under the car instead of on top of the car. It's much easier IMO.

Then it was on to installing the K04. I realized the the DV adapter supplied by IE wasn't machined particularly well and the bolts weren't sitting flush, preventing the DV from sealing. IE sent me a new adapter, but it was still disappointing.

Got it all installed and running.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
OP is updated. A few big items added over the past few weeks. Specifically, I've added the Rennline pedal set and Rennline lightweight battery mount with an Odyssey PC925T battery. Also changed from Torque Solution mounts to BFI, but you can't see them here.