Who should take over CSB2 thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
anyone here good at talking stonks?

I am considering putting a large portion of my savings into stonks. Probably something with dividends. I don't know anything, truth be told; googling tells me dividend stonks typically pay out ~4% quarterly, which got me thinking, why the F does anyone keep a savings account?

I just can't wrap my head around bitcoin and all that jazz. i've listened to a bunch of 'casts about it and just don't really get how you turn money into more money with it. Nor do i want to risk much.

WWJD? SHRBD?
dividend stocks only pay out ~4% if they pay out. not all stocks rise.

if you're dipping your toes maybe play in an index fund for a more modest gain while playing in one of those simulated stonk apps/programs so you can tinker with your diversification strategy.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
and I'm caught up with title updated!

CSB Lounge: Mud goes off the grid, gets reported and has many pages to read and then gets caught up

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i thought you were banana'd?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
dividend stocks only pay out ~4% if they pay out. not all stocks rise.

if you're dipping your toes maybe play in an index fund for a more modest gain while playing in one of those simulated stonk apps/programs so you can tinker with your diversification strategy.
thanks - seems like a safe option - i guess i assumed i would reinvest dividends, hence the growth.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion

I am considering putting a large portion of my savings into stonks. Probably something with dividends. I don't know anything, truth be told; googling tells me dividend stonks typically pay out ~4% quarterly, which got me thinking, why the F does anyone keep a savings account?

I just can't wrap my head around bitcoin and all that jazz. i've listened to a bunch of 'casts about it and just don't really get how you turn money into more money with it. Nor do i want to risk much.

WWJD? SHRBD?
Not sure what you read on Google, but most dividend stocks pay out close to 4% annualized, split up quarterly, not 4% per quarter.

You still need a savings account to cover unexpected expenses, but a good rule is to only keep 3-6 months of expenses in it, then invest any savings over that.

As for picking individual stocks, unless you have a lot of time to devote to research and monitoring the markets daily, it's a fools errand. You're basically gambling if you're picking just a couple stocks and hoping for the best. Index funds or mutual funds are the best way to have a properly diversified portfolio that matches your risk tolerance. You need to figure out your horizon for using the money and what level of risk you're comfortable with first, then it's pretty easy to start picking a fund.

Edit: pay close attention to expense ratios for any fund you pick; it's the % of your investment the brokerage takes to cover their costs. Some funds perform great, but take over a 1% cut annually, which is totally unjustified. Vanguard and Fidelity have very good expense ratios. I'll link the fund I have my mid term investments in below as an example, it's expense ratio is a very reasonable 0.07%

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/profile/overview/vbiax

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Appreciate the clarification!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

WWJD? SHRBD?
For maximum gains pick the ones with funny animals associated

Acadia18

Autocross Champion

Acadia18

Autocross Champion

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
GG was worth seeing but he is/was not one whose music I liked. I recommend looking for the documentary about him. One of those even if your not into the music it's worth watching.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
GG was worth seeing but he is/was not one whose music I liked. I recommend looking for the documentary about him. One of those even if your not into the music it's worth watching.

Fun fact: GG Allin's documentary, Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies, was the first film Todd Phillips (Joker, The Hangover, among many others) directed. He actually wrote and produced it as well.

cb1111

Not sure what you read on Google, but most dividend stocks pay out close to 4% annualized, split up quarterly, not 4% per quarter.

You still need a savings account to cover expected and unexpected expenses, but a good rule is to only keep 3-6 months of expenses in it, then invest any savings over that. Don't forget to budget for taxes, Christmas and the like.

As for picking individual stocks, unless you have a lot of time to devote to research and monitoring the markets daily, it's a fools errand. You're basically gambling if you're picking just a couple stocks and hoping for the best. Index funds or mutual funds are the best way to have a properly diversified portfolio that matches your risk tolerance. You need to figure out your horizon for using the money and what level of risk you're comfortable with first, then it's pretty easy to start picking a fund.

Edit: pay close attention to expense ratios for any fund you pick; it's the % of your investment the brokerage takes to cover their costs. Some funds perform great, but take over a 1% cut annually, which is totally unjustified. Vanguard and Fidelity have very good expense ratios. I'll link the fund I have my mid term investments in below as an example, it's expense ratio is a very reasonable 0.07%

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/profile/overview/vbiax
Added stuff that should be obvious, but often isn't.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Not the one I saw:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6571500/

for those following along he was with the Scumfucs when I saw him. also under fun band names I remember being sad when none of my friends would come with me to see a band called Pig Vomit. With a name like that I figured you knew you could dance to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.