GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CTS Turbo TSI Intake Review

P

plac

sigh... you already knew about the MAF issues. if everything is tight.. then thats just the way it is.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
So I have some thoughts that I wanted to discuss.

1. whistling under heavy load, could be normal, could be a loose end.

2. Surge under load. Not sure if this is the tune of the intake due to the different MAF location or what, lets hear some thoughts.

1. The infamous goose honk that is apparent on all of these designs. Had it on my BSH as well. It NEVER goes away.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
2. Surge under load. Not sure if this is the tune of the intake due to the different MAF location or what, lets hear some thoughts.

MAF location. I personally wouldn't use an intake that forces you to remove the MAF sensor from the OEM housing let alone move it.

yoffer

Go Kart Newbie
What exactly is it doing? Videos?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

MAD_GTI

Ready to race!
1. The infamous goose honk that is apparent on all of these designs. Had it on my BSH as well. It NEVER goes away.

MAF location. I personally wouldn't use an intake that forces you to remove the MAF sensor from the OEM housing let alone move it.

good to know the goose honk isn't weird. I have videos, but I haven't had time to work on them. Work is kicking my butt this week.

the MAF location was my initial concern, I'll see if it happened in my video so I can iron out the issue.

yoffer

Go Kart Newbie
I had no idea of this issue. Maybe I missed all of the maf relocation issues with aftermarket intakes. Is it tune specific? Does it do it with stock software too?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
This is something that's also very common on the Forge Twintake.

yoffer

Go Kart Newbie
Im not seeing this surging boost issue your talking about? At first i think it might have happened for a few pulls but after i put about 20 miles on it or so it seemed to stop doing it. When i took it out for the few miles or so, i did a few wot runs, im not sure if it helped with the surging issue that your having. Heres a video of me in 6th at around 60mph and WOT, no surging.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j6F9QpCiOw

Impressions, i really like it. Its not super loud when getting on it. Is has a nice tone to it, and the blow off noise isnt crazy loud but i like it. Seems to pull more up top. The install is very straightforward and overall i like the look, it compliments the bay really nicely.

WTF, all this oil in the stock intake from the pcv, (why the hell hasnt anyone made a pcv delete kit?)

Heres what it looked like opening the box, all the stuffing paper taken out.

Stock stuff.

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
Im not seeing this surging boost issue your talking about? At first i think it might have happened for a few pulls but after i put about 20 miles on it or so it seemed to stop doing it. When i took it out for the few miles or so, i did a few wot runs, im not sure if it helped with the surging issue that your having. Heres a video of me in 6th at around 60mph and WOT, no surging.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j6F9QpCiOw

Impressions, i really like it. Its not super loud when getting on it. Is has a nice tone to it, and the blow off noise isnt crazy loud but i like it. Seems to pull more up top. The install is very straightforward and overall i like the look, it compliments the bay really nicely.

WTF, all this oil in the stock intake from the pcv, (why the hell hasnt anyone made a pcv delete kit?)

Heres what it looked like opening the box, all the stuffing paper taken out.

Stock stuff.

Every car is different, the homeostasis for your car may have been a -5 LTFT, when adding a CTS intake it may have put you at LTFT +5 which would've been within spec. If you have a car that has a LTFT of +5 to +10 adding a poor intake design would cause an issue.

Normally, the intake will cause the MAF to read less air than what is entering combustion making our closed loop system think out car is running lean and add to the LTFT. Maybe when CTS made this intake they had a car with a fuel trim that could handle the intake and felt the design was "okay". They'll realize as Forge did that a percentage of users will have problems with their MAF location.

yoffer

Go Kart Newbie
Sure i guess. All im saying is that im not having a surge issue at this point. Im not saying that it will never happen. I believe that running the car at wot after the install may have something to do with the surging issue and might have helped the ecu adapt better to the intake.

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
Sure i guess. All im saying is that im not having a surge issue at this point. Im not saying that it will never happen. I believe that running the car at wot after the install may have something to do with the surging issue and might have helped the ecu adapt better to the intake.

Your car would've surged at WOT initially no matter when you did it. It needs to collect data for high load situations, when you went WOT it noticed the MAF values do not have the same correlation with the AFR and hesitated to correct it.

An intake should not have this issue, it's why keeping stock MAF housing and location is important.

yoffer

Go Kart Newbie
Your car would've surged at WOT initially no matter when you did it. It needs to collect data for high load situations, when you went WOT it noticed the MAF values do not have the same correlation with the AFR and hesitated to correct it.

An intake should not have this issue, it's why keeping stock MAF housing and location is important.

It did have a "surge" at first (if you want to call it that), but after putting about 20 miles on it, it slowly stopped until i didnt notice it anymore. The cts intakes uses the same diameter pipe as the maf housing, but as far as using a different maf location idk, but its not giving me any issues at the moment.