GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Curious issue with Osram headlights -- any electrical gurus?

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Do you recall how you did that?
Was before I really knew what was going on with VCDS so I had someone else handle it, unfortunately. I do recall that it was just a field you can manipulate the value within. Gotta be voltage located in like body or headlight coding if I had to guess.

Sorry I can't be more help there :(

torga

Autocross Champion
Was before I really knew what was going on with VCDS so I had someone else handle it, unfortunately. I do recall that it was just a field you can manipulate the value within. Gotta be voltage located in like body or headlight coding if I had to guess.

Sorry I can't be more help there :(

I found a headlight dimming feature in CECM Byte 19 with a range between 12.3V and 13.6V (or so). I gave that a shot, but it didn't fix my issue. I'm just gonna have to pull the headlight and bench test soon.

So weird. DRL works fine by itself, so driving around during the day it feels like nothing's wrong.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
I found a headlight dimming feature in CECM Byte 19 with a range between 12.3V and 13.6V (or so). I gave that a shot, but it didn't fix my issue. I'm just gonna have to pull the headlight and bench test soon.

So weird. DRL works fine by itself, so driving around during the day it feels like nothing's wrong.
Thanks likely what it was, but damn!

torga

Autocross Champion
I reached out to Osram for some help and advice. I really didn't expect them to come back with some cookie cutter, phoned-in troubleshooting. I wrote them multiple paragraphs and several troubleshooting steps that I took, and someone got back to me with a simple "ya idk, must be the coding, you should try that". Not even two sentences. Disappointed to say the least.

torga

Autocross Champion
I got some time to mess with coding today. When I installed my Euro tails, I had coded Byte 18 to "1F" to get rid of the bulb out error.

So I decided to check a few other configs. The car was running for each of my examples. With Byte 18 as 1F, my passenger-side DRL shuts off when headlights are on.

I coded Byte 18 to "03", which corresponds to North American Region Golf and this is what happened. Passenger-side DRL was on, but flickering wildly. The driver-side was fine. The video may make it seem like the driver-side is also flickering, but that's just an LED refresh rate trick -- it was steady and stable.

I coded Byte 18 to "04", which corresponds to NAR Golf GTI and this is what happened. Both DRL and low beams were on together, in harmony. But the driver-side sidemarker was seriously dimmed and the passenger-side sidemarker was just off. Also, the small LED (in same position as OEM halogen high beam) on the passenger-side was off. The same light on driver-side was on.
PXL_20211208_015405560-01.jpeg

I still haven't gotten a chance to confirm which pins are actually giving me 12V vs. what the pins on the headlights are doing, but it's looking more and more like something's up with the headlight itself.

Edit: in both NAR Golf and NAR Golf GTI modes, the DRL did not come on with headlights off and e-brake down. Just remembered and thought that was interesting info.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Those are some interesting coding finds, so with 04 the DRLs where working perfectly?
That does make me believe its a coding error.

May need to adjust the other lighting related bytes to try and get it working

The DRL were working perfectly, but there are still issues with the sidemarkers and the small inner LED light on the pass. side.

I almost wish it was a hardware issue because I feel like that would be easier to find. Coding feels like a wild goose chase. Don't even know where to start with how the other lighting bytes relate to each other.

Last edited:

tnagy

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,
I have GTI version Osram Headlight. For me byte 18 code 03 removed side markers error.
Are your headlights vibrate (shake) on bumpy road when low beam is on?

torga

Autocross Champion
Hi,
I have GTI version Osram Headlight. For me byte 18 code 03 removed side markers error.
Are your headlights vibrate (shake) on bumpy road when low beam is on?

Byte 18 as "03" made my passenger DRL flicker quite a lot. I haven't had time to continue experimenting with the coding yet, though.

My headlights don't vibrate or shake while driving on bumpy roads.

ArchDeluxe

This all sounds like the problems I'm having with my headlights, I haven't even started with coding as a problem yet, still trying to nail the pins, and wiring. I'm still struggling to figure out why a light switch needs a computer to turn it on, it shouldn't be that complex.
PXL_20211218_102140980.jpg

torga

Autocross Champion
Holidays and life in general hit me, so I haven't really spent much time on this.

Yesterday, I switched Byte 18 from '1F' (did this to get rid of bulb-out error with Euro tails) to '20' (VW Golf GTI NAR). With this byte, both DRL and low beams stay on together, but the the small LED (in same position as OEM halogen high beam) on the driver side light is off. Also, the sidemarkers are very, very dimmed. Since I just paint-matched my sidemarkers, that issue no longer bothers me.
Another consequence of this coding, is now I get bulb-out errors for the taillights, though they still function as they should. The dimmed sidemarkers also give me bulb out errors.

So I still have some troubleshooting to do since this is just a band-aid, but at least both DRL stay on with the low beams now.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Holidays and life in general hit me, so I haven't really spent much time on this.

Yesterday, I switched Byte 18 from '1F' (did this to get rid of bulb-out error with Euro tails) to '20' (VW Golf GTI NAR). With this byte, both DRL and low beams stay on together, but the the small LED (in same position as OEM halogen high beam) on the driver side light is off. Also, the sidemarkers are very, very dimmed. Since I just paint-matched my sidemarkers, that issue no longer bothers me.
Another consequence of this coding, is now I get bulb-out errors for the taillights, though they still function as they should. The dimmed sidemarkers also give me bulb out errors.

So I still have some troubleshooting to do since this is just a band-aid, but at least both DRL stay on with the low beams now.
Hmm so then it may just be a coding issue.
i pulled my sidemarker bulbs out a long time ago since my R bumber doesnt have a spot for them.
With my coding I dont have a bulb out error so getting rid of it should be easy.

torga

Autocross Champion
brat burner pointed me in a different direction and it looks like I may need to swap some wires around in the CECM harness. Some other users here and on vortex were complaining that their pass. side DRL was off when both were supposed to be on, but one of the rear tail light fogs was on instead. They fixed it by swapping the DRL and fog wires. I still have quite a bit to read through to fully understand.
My Euro tails don't have the rear fogs, so I can't confirm that half of the issue. But I certainly have the DRL issue.