GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer found issues. Anyone dealt with these before?

BigNick9124

Took my 2012 GTI in for the P2015 error code. Because it's a PZEV car, the intake manifold should still be covered under warranty. But they also found a few other things and I have some questions.

"Found transmission fluid leaking from the mechatronics unit. Recommend to have replaced and resealed. $2,832.84". I just replaced the DSG fluid 1000 miles ago. Car drives fine. I refilled from the top, so I'm wondering if it's just residual fluid that I didn't wipe up. If not, can't the unit be resealed without having to replace the whole thing?

"Found oil leaking from cambridge and brake vacuum pump and upper timing chain cover. Recommend to have all resealed. $1,550.52" Anyone know where this is located and if it's doable for a DIYer with moderate mechanical skills?

"Found coolant leaking from radiator. Recommend to have radiator replaced. $876.32". I know I have a leak, but I suspected the waterpump. Has anyone tried the aftermarket aluminum radiator from ECS Tuning?

They are also recommending to do a carbon cleaning. Since the intake manifold is already off, will save $700 in labor. Still $666 to do the cleaning. I'll probably have it done.

Any helpful info?
Thanks.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Tell them to clean up the trans fluid leak amd check it again in a few hundred miles. If you need to have it replaced anyway what harm can it be if it's from when you possibly made a mess Topping things off?

Upper timing cover leaks happen. Not gonna speak to the other stuff on a DIY sense because I'm honestly not sure myself.

Rad Leaks happen, did they find it during a pressure test? Worth doing. I personally hate ECS so I'll just say consider other vendors too because ECS may say they have it in stock, take your money, and then say it's out of stock for a few weeks while they hold your money.

And yes while they're in there for the intake manifold have them do a carbon cleaning. Even if it looks "pretty good". Request that they do a walnut shell blast instead of a chemical/brushing (better outcomes).

BigNick9124

Thanks for your input, uglybastard. Service advisor called to let me know the intake manifold is covered under warranty. I mentioned that I replaced the DSG fluid last month but he says the leak is coming out of the mechatronic unit. I might have to get a second opinion from an independent shop. The only thing I approved is the carbon cleaning. He says they use walnut blasting and also clean by hand.

I've ordered a lot of stuff from ECS and never had a problem, but I'm surprised by other people voicing their complaints on other threads. But yes, I'll look at other radiators and other vendors too.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
It is quite common for any dealers shop to find a multitude of things to bump up the bill. I'm not saying those things weren't leaking, but is the leaking really an issue? Second opinion is a great idea. Carbon cleaning yes since the manifold is off.

ECS I'm not a fan, but many people have bought from them without issue. The ones with issues voice their opinions the loudest. Hope you get lucky with them.

zrickety

The Fixer
Took my 2012 GTI in for the P2015 error code. Because it's a PZEV car, the intake manifold should still be covered under warranty. But they also found a few other things and I have some questions.

"Found transmission fluid leaking from the mechatronics unit. Recommend to have replaced and resealed. $2,832.84". I just replaced the DSG fluid 1000 miles ago. Car drives fine. I refilled from the top, so I'm wondering if it's just residual fluid that I didn't wipe up. If not, can't the unit be resealed without having to replace the whole thing?

"Found oil leaking from cambridge and brake vacuum pump and upper timing chain cover. Recommend to have all resealed. $1,550.52" Anyone know where this is located and if it's doable for a DIYer with moderate mechanical skills?

"Found coolant leaking from radiator. Recommend to have radiator replaced. $876.32". I know I have a leak, but I suspected the waterpump. Has anyone tried the aftermarket aluminum radiator from ECS Tuning?

They are also recommending to do a carbon cleaning. Since the intake manifold is already off, will save $700 in labor. Still $666 to do the cleaning. I'll probably have it done.

Any helpful info?
Thanks.
Get a second opinion on that mechatronics leak, like you said you just filled it.

Yes, you can seal most of that with moderate skills, ultra black RTV, and a new gasket for the upper chain cover. If the lower cover is leaking, that's a bigger job.

I would pinpoint your cooling leak...a pump or radiator are both DIY but don't buy both if you don't have to. I like Rockauto for their selection of radiators, pricing, fast shipping. Sometimes FCPEuro is better than ECS because of the warranty, but they don't always have the same parts.

Lastly, skip the carbon cleaning. After you do the other stuff, some hard driving for 30 min at 3000 rpm will remove most deposits.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
^ Agree with Rickey except for the carbon cleaning. In my experience the carbon builds up regardless of how you drive. An easy way to check is to use a cheap USB borescope and remove the IAT sensor to get a look at what kind of build up you have. Be prepared to replace injector seals if you do pull the manifold and do it yourself.

All of this work is manageable for a DIY'er with the right tools. For what you've been quoted, there is a lot of money to be saved. If you do the upper cam cover I would skip the special sealant, I've had it fail on me and ended up going back to Ultra Black. Lots of videos on youtube for all of these items. You can do it!

BigNick9124

Thanks to everyone for your input. Picked up the car yesterday. The service advisor said the carbon build-up was bad. I can't feel a difference because I de-tuned my car before I took it in so it feels sluggish. I'll be re-tuning today and then take it out for a test drive. I'll be changing out the radiator this spring; I've been living with the leak for a while now. I just had a water pump go out on another car, so the GTI moves down a slot on the priority list.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Thanks to everyone for your input. Picked up the car yesterday. The service advisor said the carbon build-up was bad. I can't feel a difference because I de-tuned my car before I took it in so it feels sluggish. I'll be re-tuning today and then take it out for a test drive. I'll be changing out the radiator this spring; I've been living with the leak for a while now. I just had a water pump go out on another car, so the GTI moves down a slot on the priority list.
Personally I would address the coolant leak and the DSG leak issues. Once you have a leak it is possible that it may get worse as it indicates you have a weak point in the system. If things open up while you are on the road and you have a complete loss of either fluid the downside can be loss of motor or trans.

My advice would be to address it at this time. Your car is speaking to you, best to listen. Oem style radiator is about 120 bux on FCP, if you are strapped for cash I would suggest you get this instead of the 500 dollar oem replacement. If you have a place to work on the car this is something you could do yourself.

As for the trans. You may have indeed made a mess. I would get under there and clean it up. And drive it for a week and then get back under there. Given that you say the trans operates just fine it does not sound like the mech unit needs to be replaced. It sounds like you need to get a re-seal kit for about 100 bucks and install it or go to a decent indy shop and pay them to do it for you but I suspect you can get it all done for around 500 if you are not inclined.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I agree with GIACuser

If your radiator is truly leaking id say prioritize that as the #1 so it doesn't get worse down the line and leave you stranded.

I would clean the entire engine with degreaser and pressure washer to get any old dirty oil spills cleaned off so you can actually tell what is and isn't leaking. Seems like they didn't specify where the DSG was leaking or why that warrants a mechatronic swap? If it drives fine and there's no stored DSG codes I wouldnt worry about the mech yet. Most likely leak spots though are the mechatronic gasket cover, the drain plug washer or at the DSG oil cooler (2 o-rings). Those are all just gasket swaps so not too expensive and easy to fix.

As far as the other leaks:

The upper timing cover is a super common leak and there's an internal o-ring on the cam bridge where the n205 goes that leaks. Its possible to do that job without removing the engine mount and a very long 10mm box wrench but its a PITA. It's only like $20 in gaskets though.

The entire cam girdle/valve cover assembly leaks on a lot of these cars because the anerobic sealant weakens over time and its a pretty big job to take off all that stuff reseal the entire everything so that's why they want so much for it.

The oil leaks can be managed if you're strapped on time/cash but def try to address the coolant and trans leaks.

Also replace the PCV assembly if you haven't. I think a big reason a lot of people get some of these oil leaks is an old failing pcv which increases crankcase pressure eventually causing premature failure of gaskets.