GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Deciding between 2 job offers

FNR32

Ready to race!
2 sounds like more fun to me, but that is just me.

ALL of Grambles' points are critical.

There is some sex appeal with number 2, but I am concerned about the perception of how they treat their employees. I've had a few people tell me to avoid company 2 if at all possible, while i've heard nothing but praise and accolades from people involved with company 1.

abalinka

Go Kart Champion
#1 sounds like a good choice to me.

Bender1

Banned
There is some sex appeal with number 2, but I am concerned about the perception of how they treat their employees. I've had a few people tell me to avoid company 2 if at all possible, while i've heard nothing but praise and accolades from people involved with company 1.

Done. Thats all I would need.

I am currently underpaid by a fairly large amount and I don't care because i love where i work.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion

That would cinch it for me.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I, personally, couldn't do WFH more than a couple days a month. I like getting face time with executives and being IN a meeting rather than ON a meeting.

Thats just me though.
I agree, but it doesn't sound like that is an issue with these positions.

1) Money doesn't matter if you hate your job. Understand which one draws your attention and passion a lot more. I turned down a 15K increase from another OEM because of its local and general "Fire you at any moment, coporate" mentality.

2) Longevity and growth.

3) Working from home is nice, but you might get cabin fever.

4) DEFINITELY look at your medical benefits (if offered)

Number 1 sounds like a solid choice.

^point 1 here is key, but may be hard to ascertain and may even be irrelevant for these jobs where you are essentially on an island and don't have a micromanaging boss or toxic co-workers/bad environment.

point three would be true but he's not stuck in a computer all day he is driving to locations, which breaks up the monotony. Even he weren't driving and whatnot, my way around the "cabin fever" is to log-in to work from hotels in Las Vegas during the day and then let it all hang out after midnight:D

WFH is the best perk ever. Especially if you do have an option to go to an office when you want.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion

^point 1 here is key, but may be hard to ascertain and may even be irrelevant for these jobs where you are essentially on an island and don't have a micromanaging boss or toxic co-workers/bad environment.

point three would be true but he's not stuck in a computer all day he is driving to locations, which breaks up the monotony. Even he weren't driving and whatnot, my way around the "cabin fever" is to log-in to work from hotels in Las Vegas during the day and then let it all hang out after midnight:D

WFH is the best perk ever. Especially if you do have an option to go to an office when you want.

Yeah, if it's either/or that's pretty killer. I'd travel around to wherever I could travel to super cheaply and just work all over. Not really an option in OP's case though.

FNR32

Ready to race!

If either role was 100% virtual, that would be epic. The biggest perk of option 1 is that i can skip lunch (as i often bring a sammich and eat while getting gas or whatever), and be home by 2-3 which allows more time to do other things that I want to do.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
#1 seems to be the obvious choice given all the details you provided. all the benefits outweigh the larger salary.

Agreed.

This is huge, IMO. Word of mouth from people who know each company is valuable info. Also, I worked for a railroad some years ago and I would NOT EVER do so again, fwiw.

If either role was 100% virtual, that would be epic. The biggest perk of option 1 is that i can skip lunch (as i often bring a sammich and eat while getting gas or whatever), and be home by 2-3 which allows more time to do other things that I want to do.

This is also huge. How many of us who work 8-5+ find that we have to cram all of our chores/errands, etc into the weekend because we just don't have time during the week to get shit done, which basically ruins the weekend? Having personal time during the week to take care of things like that will vastly improve your quality of life/leisure time. Again, imho.

FNR32

Ready to race!
I think option one is the route i'll go, but I'll also ask them to put a little more cash on the table. I figure the worst they can do is say no.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
How many of us who work 8-5+ find that we have to cram all of our chores/errands, etc into the weekend because we just don't have time during the week to get shit done, which basically ruins the weekend?

exactly... thats why i love clocking in at 4:15am and leaving work at 1pm for the day.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
+10 on Company 1 - for sure, easily hands down. Flexibility in hours, working from home, and a company car are HUGE. I'd easily take a 10% pay cut for those items, and you can always respectfully ask for more money/negotiate their offer.

balius

Go Kart Champion
Choice 1 for me as well. With the 15-18% annual bonus, the actual pay should be close to the base salary of the second option

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Option 1 for sure based off all the reasons listed above. The bonuses and company car is huge.