GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Deciding between 2 job offers

DDKing13

Ready to race!
option 1 sounds better to me. the benefits outweigh the larger salary.
plus, you don't have to worry about the added stress of traffic and being on call 24/7.

FNR32

Ready to race!
UPDATE:

I was able to successfully negotiate with company 1 to match the salary offered by company 2 while retaining all the benefits offered by virtue of the position with company 1. So basically I lost nothing and gained everything I wanted. I gave my current company 30 days notice and I'll be starting with company 1 in December. Thanks for all the feedback guys/gals, I really appreciate it!

WAP

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE:

I was able to successfully negotiate with company 1 to match the salary offered by company 2 while retaining all the benefits offered by virtue of the position with company 1. So basically I lost nothing and gained everything I wanted. I gave my current company 30 days notice and I'll be starting with company 1 in December. Thanks for all the feedback guys/gals, I really appreciate it!

Fucking A dude! That's awesome. Good for you. Grats. Now, can I ask what railroad you interviewed with?

Congrats chief!

WFH, here are some tips (know alot of people who WFH):

-you need to set up a very disciplined schedule, and cannot break it. if you do, punish yourself.

-Organize your time table every sunday night for the entire week. if you don't you, can fall behind on work. Set work as #1 priority, #2 family, #3 you last

- 2 work places: set up a room for work(with a door). not the kitchen or living room. A 2nd office being a coffee shop. This is an escape from the daily routine which will keep you sane and focused. at least once every 2 weeks.

-force yourself to dress up in work clothes. if you don't give the attitude work deserves, you won't flip the switch in your head its worktime.

Lastly, eating is a no-no.

AND STAY AWAY FROM THE FORUMS WHILE WORKING.

good luck! :thumbsup:

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Congrats chief!

-you need to set up a very disciplined schedule, and cannot break it. if you do, punish yourself.

-Organize your time table every sunday night for the entire week. if you don't you, can fall behind on work. Set work as #1 priority, #2 family, #3 you last

- 2 work places: set up a room for work(with a door). not the kitchen or living room. A 2nd office being a coffee shop. This is an escape from the daily routine which will keep you sane and focused. at least once every 2 weeks.

-force yourself to dress up in work clothes. if you don't give the attitude work deserves, you won't flip the switch in your head its worktime.

But the forums are the only way I survive my work day at work..... Lol

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Congrats chief!

Really solid shit right there.

Bender1

Banned
UPDATE:

Alright! Congrats!

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Late to the bandwagon obviously, but as said the word of mouth about the company is huge. Related to that, how is each company doing financially and what is their expected stability/growth? Being in a company or industry that's headed down-hill is VERY, very hard. People getting cut around you left and right, those who are left feel like they're in a fight to stay, things get ugly pretty quick. Even if it's not that bad, if the company is having to scrimp and save every penny they'll be looking for reasons to cut people which will mean more micromanagement and knee-jerk over-reactions.

I'm just adding that advice for anyone else looking at similar options. Always consider the overall company.

FNR32

Ready to race!
Fucking A dude! That's awesome. Good for you. Grats. Now, can I ask what railroad you interviewed with?
Thank you, The railroad was CSX Transportation.

FNR32

Ready to race!
Late to the bandwagon obviously, but as said the word of mouth about the company is huge. Related to that, how is each company doing financially and what is their expected stability/growth? Being in a company or industry that's headed down-hill is VERY, very hard. People getting cut around you left and right, those who are left feel like they're in a fight to stay, things get ugly pretty quick. Even if it's not that bad, if the company is having to scrimp and save every penny they'll be looking for reasons to cut people which will mean more micromanagement and knee-jerk over-reactions.

I'm just adding that advice for anyone else looking at similar options. Always consider the overall company.
Those are very good points and i did consider those. I understand that with the non-union jobs on the railroad (management), sometimes they are the first to go when things get a bit lean and there is generally pretty low loyalty to employees. That played heavily into my decision. Insurance companies are generally pretty conservative and the one that I'll be working for isn't a stock company which takes away all the stress of having to keep shareholders happy.