GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

did you get a good deal?

Timo

Ready to race!
I know there's a thread like this already but no posts on that thread from Canadian buyers.

I'm looking into buying a Golf, maybe a GTI and I was wondering what kind of deals Canadians are getting? Was anyone able to find Canadian invoice prices?

Also, anyone looked into importing a mk6 from the US? You guys think it's still worth importing nowadays?

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Try Car Cost Canada, I got a pretty good deal with that ($1100 off) a Mk6 GTI, which is as you know very hot and very saleable. :) I didn't even spend time haggling with the sales person, because Car Cost Canada already contacted them for me.

Plus after that I got them to throw in mats and a discount for winter tires. :)

jman1

Passed Driver's Ed
I used Car Cost Canada and got 4% off MSRP... highly recommend using this service.

AM407

Autocross Champion
No Car Cost Canada dealers here, but even with the report I can't get anyone to move more than a couple hundred bucks off MSRP. Oh sure, they'll agree to "invoice plus 5%", but once all the admin fees, prep fees, window etching and whatever is added on, we're almost back at MSRP.

Are you guys really getting "invoice plus 3%", or are you just ignoring all the usual BS dealer add-on fees? Or maybe I'm just screwed because I need to factory order the car I want (pretty much a base GTI)? I've been told they'd be more willing to deal on a car that's already on the lot.

Raz

Passed Driver's Ed
AM407 - say no to the window etching, it's redundant. We don't even do that anymore. As for discounts on a GTI; unfortunately you're not going to see a lot of dealers budging on a car that is winning so many awards. If you were selling the hottest thing on the market would you discount it? Getting over $500 off on a base GTI is (unfortunately) a good deal right now. Although it is true that a dealer will sell a car in stock for lower than one that has to be dealer traded (we pay interest on cars on the lot that are older than 30 days so those are the ones we want gone), but a car that comes from the factory is just as good. If you can get over $500 off on that GTI - jump on it!

AM407

Autocross Champion
Raz, thanks for the reply. I did say no to the window etching, but the dealer won't budge: "we do that on every car - it's company policy."

I hear you about dealers not needing to discount a hot new car like the GTI, that's kind of why I was wondering about the posts where people say they got their car for 3% or 5% over invoice.

unbc

In Prince George, BC. The HubCityMotor does not deal with any window etching!!! I bought my 2.5 trendline golf from dealer car lot, the only extra fee that i paid was register fee and only $150, maybe this golf was the showcar, and only 60KM when i bought on Nov 15. The price was not negotiable even GTI, hot-selling and low supplies were the big issue. hope this helps you

Raz

Passed Driver's Ed
5% over invoice isn't as huge a deal as people think, being that there's usually between 6-8% markup on all our cars. Basically that means that someone paid about two grand over invoice on a car that has $2,500 markup. Don't start at invoice and work your way up - you'll butt heads with a lot of dealers. Start at MSRP and work your way down, that way you'll get a good deal and the dealership can stay in business and us salespeople can biggie-size our lunches at Wendy's. :p

2010_GTI

5% over invoice isn't as huge a deal as people think, being that there's usually between 6-8% markup on all our cars. Basically that means that someone paid about two grand over invoice on a car that has $2,500 markup. Don't start at invoice and work your way up - you'll butt heads with a lot of dealers. Start at MSRP and work your way down, that way you'll get a good deal and the dealership can stay in business and us salespeople can biggie-size our lunches at Wendy's. :p

Jeff... My friend shop right now for a 3drs 2010 GTI DSG full load with GPS and the price asking by his dealer is crazy ! 38,000$ for a 2010 Golf GTI... It's ridiculous to tell you the true, it's almost the price of a basic 2010 Audi A4 quattro ! :lol:

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
That's pretty much MSRP for a fully loaded Golf... and pretty standard if you look at the competitors' pricing.

2010_GTI

That's pretty much MSRP for a fully loaded Golf... and pretty standard if you look at the competitors' pricing.

Yeah your right bro... It's MSRP at full retail's and no discount at all ! :thumbdown:

I deal my basic 2010 GTI with only DSG option at 30,000$ flat ! I save arround 1,400$ compare to MSRP full retail, that's not bad for a basic GTI... But my friend want to go with the fully load GTI and they ask him the full price... I think, something is wrong here ? Lolll... More options you have biggest are the discount's, don't you think ? Anyway, he make a good offer at 34,000$ but the dealers refused the deal and finally pull a last call deal tonight at 36,000$... They said, take it or live it ! He live it... Loll he's gone shop arround again tomorrow... Lollll

End of the story for now. :iono:

Raz

Passed Driver's Ed
The thing with the GTI is if your friend doesn't take it at that price, someone right behind him will. It's basic business economics: if you have a product that is the hottest thing right now and is selling faster than you can make it - would you discount it? Same thing with the Audi A5 and the Q5 - there are 4-5 month waiting lists for those cars. You want to play, you gotta pay. Unfortunately that's the reality.