GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY DSG Fluid change tips and tricks

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Do you have a way to see what the CEL is for? Are there any other lights on, such as a steering wheel symbol? It is common to have a steering wheel fault when disconnecting the battery -- that problem will go away after driving at a slow speed and turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock a few times to allow the car to relearn the steering wheel stops.

thanks. Yes the steering wheel light was on too and it went away.

Used an OBD scanner and found P025c code. But we just cleared it. Crisis averted. :thumbsup:

boostedmk6

Go Kart Champion
For those who used the measure-refill method - did you just raise the front of the vehicle with ramps/stands?

The transmission seems to sit fairly level even when on ramps.

zrickety

The Fixer
You guys do realize that the plastic insert is for the proper fill level right? You make many assumptions measuring what comes out. Even a small leak will lose quite a bit over time. And you are assuming the last guy didn't under or over fill it as well.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Im going to be doing mine in the next 2-3 months... How many people use vagcom to check the transmission temp when doing the final drain? It seems like a lot of people are measuring what comes out and refilling...

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
I'm doing this next weekend. I'm likely going to measure what came out and out that amount back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacRadiators

Passed Driver's Ed
The 4.7l in after flush is fail proof.
Works perfect every time.
17$ for oem filter + 60$ for 5 liters of Motul DCTF, my dsg is perfect at 168k

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Good to know, Ill be doing mine in 2 weeks. Im going to measure what came out for my own curiosity but Im going to put 5 litres in using the top fill method and then ill drain a little after getting the car up to temperature

MacRadiators

Passed Driver's Ed
You dont need to drain nothing. Just measure 4.7l. It's been proven hundreds of times, on different forum (vwvortex i think).
The best method to do it.
If engine and oil are hot, you will do it even faster.

watusay

Just a question guys. I have had my DSG changed by the dealer as part of its maintenance plan.

My DSG tune wasnt too happy with it and I decided to flush out and reuse Motul DCTF that I had in before(really does have cooler temps).

I drained out 5.5L :yikes: Thats how much the dealer had used. I had all four corners of my car on jack stands and used a spirit level on the box to achieve a flush position. I filled up 5L of Motul, started the car, went through each gear slowly and pausing, waitinf for the temps to hit 35/36 degrees celsius, and then opened the drain hole. I waited for the overflow to come down to a drip and then I closed it. I measured the excess oil, was 500ML. So provided I did this correctly, my trans takes 4.5L and VW had overfilled by almost a full liter.

My question is, with such a large difference in quantity, should I assume the 4.5 to be correct. I topped it of to 4.7L just because I feared it may be slightly underfilled, but now I wonder if Im doing any harm by having that extra 200ml in