GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY footwell light install guide

Antero128

Ready to race!
Thanks, I just figured out the rear map lights, any tips on the front set? Do you just pry off the circle part or the whole plastic up front (like the rear)?

generic83

lol wheel spin
any idea if you can adjust the brightness of the LED replacements through the MFD?

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
They will work, but light throw will only be like 90* at most. SMD LEDs will have closer to 180* of light throw and a more even spread, which will work better for the footwell lights.

Oh, and for everyone doing the footwell lights... turn the light housings around so the wires come out towards the respective sides of the car. The light will fill the footwell better instead of just the outside corners.

blaqkink

Ready to race!
They will work, but light throw will only be like 90* at most. SMD LEDs will have closer to 180* of light throw and a more even spread, which will work better for the footwell lights.

Oh, and for everyone doing the footwell lights... turn the light housings around so the wires come out towards the respective sides of the car. The light will fill the footwell better instead of just the outside corners.

:thumbup: thanks for the info, Ill look for some SMDs

rigti9

Ready to race!
I just tried this and everything went smooth until I put the set of 194R bulbs in. I believe the portion below the bulb itself where the metal needs to meet for the electrical current is too short on this set. If I push them up or down they light up, but not not if just sitting in the bracket. This guide works perfect, so the bulb purchase on my part may have been faulty. But, I looked at the bulb I pulled from the housing and it says w3w not w5w. Don't really know what the difference is, kind of a noob. Just a heads up if you're looking at what bulbs to get. These DON'T fit right:

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 145

1FUN GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the DIY Super Steve! Your instructions were great and I am very pleased with my footwell lights. My auto store did not have any LEDs but they had '194R's and they worked great.

Attachments

• Red Footwell Bulbs.jpg
    Red Footwell Bulbs.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 141

Fergusdaddy

I also got 5 LED bulbs that the heads were too big to fit in between the metal connectors, but a bit of "adjustment" to these with pliers to widen the gap meant I had to solder the bulbs in place! Works fine once you get the polarity right, and thanks for the tip to replace the entire unit with the wires pointing to the outside of the car, makes the light spread much wider!

rigti9

Ready to race!
I just tried this and everything went smooth until I put the set of 194R bulbs in. I believe the portion below the bulb itself where the metal needs to meet for the electrical current is too short on this set. If I push them up or down they light up, but not not if just sitting in the bracket. This guide works perfect, so the bulb purchase on my part may have been faulty. But, I looked at the bulb I pulled from the housing and it says w3w not w5w. Don't really know what the difference is, kind of a noob. Just a heads up if you're looking at what bulbs to get. These DON'T fit right:

Went to a local detailing/body shop and picked up some LED's that fit perfectly for just $8. Advance Auto took back the ones that i had pictured above that didn't fit. Just wondering if anybody got some 360 LED's and where they got them from? Mine look great as ambient light, but I was hoping for a bit brighter. The only ones the body shop carried was the single LED. Let me know, thanks!

AZGTI1

LED

I successfully changed the footwell lights to red LEDs as well. What I can't figure out is how to reverse the passenger side light so the wires are facing the outside of the car to make the light spread better. It seems as if the wires aren't long enough to reach to the other side. Any help?