GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY footwell light install guide

Fergusdaddy

I successfully changed the footwell lights to red LEDs as well. What I can't figure out is how to reverse the passenger side light so the wires are facing the outside of the car to make the light spread better. It seems as if the wires aren't long enough to reach to the other side. Any help?

That's weird, when I removed the metal box there was about 3 inches of play in the plug and wires hanging through the hole. You may find your wires are snagged on something behind the plastic fascia, as there are a few tabs sticking out under there. Or maybe your wires have a cable tie around them that is closer to the plug than mine. Only way to check is to get your head under there with a torch, and that involves lying upside down in the seat with your head in the footwell! Hope your carpet is clean!

My2ndGTI

Ready to race!
I got my set from Tunerdomes.com this week. I have successfully replaced the rear dome lights. HUGE difference. The white lights are very bright and are a bit on the blue side. Sure makes the front dome lights look yellow.

I was unable to get any of the other lights out. I will try again but I am always afraid of breaking something.

I have absolutely no idea how to get the lights out in the front dome, trunk and glovebox. I am anxious to change the front dome and trunk the most. Any suggestions???

I will try again with the footwell lights.

daysleeper_k2

Passed Driver's Ed
Just replaced my footwell lights with red (regular bulb, not LED) and I love the look :happyanim:.

It was very easy and the guide made it fool-proof.

I don't know why VW ever put white bulbs in there, they seem so out of place.

Clempson13

Ready to race!
picked up my GTI last week and immediately noted that the white light had to go... awesome guide for a quick bulb swap. picked the bulbs up for $3.50 at autozone, and took less than 10 minutes to perform.

BrianfCheng1

Ready to race!
Thanks so much for this guide. I'm so happy this was so easy. This is my first mod and I'm actually pretty proud I did it myself. Hehe. I had no trouble turning the box around so the light fills the footwell effectively. However the wire on the driver side is pulled tight to the max. Thank you!

jackrenter

mod complete!

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/...194-13-LED-p8194212-1-2.html#ReviewsTabAnchor

20%

100%

blah lol, size fixed.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Woah pics are big....

dragon529

Passed Driver's Ed
how do you remove the plastic case from the metal housing? I see the 4 tabs (small holes at the top) but I'm having trouble removing it. You just jam a flathead screwdriver into those holes and pop it open??

GTIIIIIIIII!!!!

Ready to race!
First post, first mod, I used the 194R (non led), instructions were great, I hope to do many more.

rossman869

Hey guys, new VW owner here and loving this site. Not one to do a ton of mods to a car but picked up my Black 2011 GTI w/ 6 spd man, sunroof/nav on Friday, noticed the white footwell lighting and thought to myself WTF was VW thinking. Cruised the "interwebs" and found this site. Thanks to all your posts... changed out the bulbs with 194r non LED bulbs I picked up at PepBoys for $3.99 in about ten minutes tops, and couldn't be happier. Now looking at the rest of the mods you all are doing and considering doing the same. :) As dorky as it may sound, gotta say... this car rocks!