GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Fuel Filter Change

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Replace at 40K Intervals as per service manual. I used the golfmkv write up and pictures to relay this information over on this board.

New Filter with Caps:

1) Jack the vehicle up - The fuel filter is location under the rear passenger area

2) Unclip the two fuel lines by PRESSING IN ON THE CLIPS, not prying them upwards! (Watch out, fuel will escape both the filter and lines. Its best to use the caps on your replacement to cap the old filter to prevent excessive spillage.

3) The other clip is a bit harder to get to. I used some channel locks to give the leverage I needed to push down on the clip because it was at a weird handle that prevented my hands to get in there. Dont clamp too hard, or you will cause damage to the lines.

***Again, Make sure you cap the old filter. You dont want to lose that precious $3.79/gal gas (EDIT: $4.05/gal)****

4) Using a phillips head screwdriver, undo the screw and pull the old filter out.

5) Place the new filter (Part Number: 1K0201051K ) and tighten screw back in.

6) Clip the lines into their respectable places

7) Inspect everything

8) Allow the fuel pump to prime (Normally by opening the driver's door), if this doesn't do, just turn the key to the on position, but dont start the vehicle up.

DONE

Make sure you use Part number: 1K0201051K. That is the latest revision fuel filter. It holds 6.6bar of pressure as opposed to 6.4bar. VW Engineers found fuel cut issues on the old FSI and seems the future models benefited from this.

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
nice... is that fuel filter part # for the mkv or ours?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
P

plac

nice writeup! ive wanted a fuel filter writeup here for years, and wondered why there wasnt one. im at 6000 miles, so i might change it pretty soon. just cuz i can....

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Saved.

I'll be doing this in 20k.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
For the price, its hard not to do this every 20K. Its worthwhile if you're using bad gas all the time.

I figured fuel filters werent designed with shitty ethanol in mind.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Anything less than 100 octane = bad gas.

:lol:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Anything less than 100 octane = bad gas.

Bwhahaha very true. Just to know how much hidden power there is 7OCT lower sucks, but what does 100oct gas run now and days?

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
Bwhahaha very true. Just to know how much hidden power there is 7OCT lower sucks, but what does 100oct gas run now and days?

More than I'm willing to pay.

Not like it would do anything on my stock tune.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Wow, that fuel filter is just hanging out there with no protection huh. Makes it easy to change but, almost wish it was tucked up higher LOL

Good write up, should be a while till I hit 20k but saved this.

Around me 100 octane is around $12/gallon. That's about $150 per tank.......and by around me, I mean the nearest 76 station with Sunocal100 is about 2 hours away. LOL

I want to try it sometime, but man......that's pricey.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Wow, that fuel filter is just hanging out there with no protection huh. Makes it easy to change but, almost wish it was tucked up higher LOL

Good write up, should be a while till I hit 20k but saved this.

You'd be surprised. Its actually up in there a bit.

mikochu

boogerface
Just an FYI...

I had my fuel filter changed and it caught a lot of debris. My mechanic said it was an unusual compared to other VW/Audis that he has replaced. I've always filled up with 93 octane. I'm glad the fuel filter did it's job, though. Also, I'd notice a slight hesitation under load sometimes...I think it has been resolved since the fuel filter was changed. A MANN fuel filter (6.6 bar) was used.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Grambles. Nice write up. I think I'll do this soon.

Is there any fuel pressure that has to be released prior to removing the hoses on the filter?