GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Omori Boost Guage

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
I wanted a Boost Guage with the following requirements:

1.) Must be within my forward line of sight. Vent gauges like CIM, AWE, and the P3 digital are to far away for me but I do like their looks and smaller size of 45mm vs the 52mm size of AEM and Autometer gauges. Also, I don't like the constantly changing numbers of a digital gauge.

2.) Must not block the stock gauges and MFD like the New South Column Pod does.

2.) Must be an electrical gauge so it would have a smooth action and would not require a long tubing run from the engine.

3.) Must match the factory gauges and be dimmable.

After doing some research I found that the maker of the boost gauges used by CIM and AWE is Omori. They come in many different color/needle combinations. I purchased P/N AEB-030-BWW with White Lettering/Red Needle and matching Omori Steering Column Pod (cup) from J-Spec Tuning (http://www.j-spectuning.com/)

Ref: (http://www.j-spectuning.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/10/products_id/182

The installation was fairly easy. I mounted the Column Pod with #6 SS bolts to the steering column top cover.

No it's not filled with liquid. That's a reflection/illusion.

I used a black 42DD Boost Tap because it's almost invisible (hose connection is underneath).

I mounted the Omori boost sender to the back of the battery box next to the rubber boot in the firewall near the clutch pedal area. The sender connector was poked through the same rubber boot with a coat hanger and fed up to the pod. The power connector was routed to the headlight switch/dash fuse box area and connected as follows:

12V Constant: Omori Green to VW Red/White @ Pin 8
12V Switched: Omori Red to VW Black/Purple @ Pin 4
Dimmer: Omori White to VW Grey @ Pin 10
Ground: Omori Black to VW Brown @ Pin 6

I used 3M T-Taps. I found the Omori was too bright compared to the stock gauges, so I added a 1K Ohm, 1.25 Watt, Potentiometer from Radio Shack (P/N 271-342) inline to the White dimmer wire. This worked perfectly to allow almost infinite variability to the boost gauge illumination. Note: Gauge is white; bluish tint is only in digital picture.

My car with APR Stage 2 reads -22 Hg at idle and boosts to 15-17 PSI.

Conclusion:
The Omori Boost Gauge works great and meets all my requirements especially looking good and not blocking any of my dash or MFD.

If you are interested in buying an Omori Boost Guage & Pod like mine, Thaison @ J-Spec Tuning will give you a $25 discount if you mention "MKVI" in the notes when purchasing online.

Y'all are welcome. Peace.

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Just an fyi. I did my podi gauge today and found it was 1000x easier to go from cabin to the engine bay, not engine bay to cabin.

whokiid

Ready to race!
Very thorough write-up. Much appreciated.

Question, though...

I'm trying to use a ProSport boost gauge, and the wires leading from the back are not the same.

In your writeup, you posted:

"12V Constant: Omori Green to VW Red/White @ Pin 8
12V Switched: Omori Red to VW Black/Purple @ Pin 4
Dimmer: Omori White to VW Grey @ Pin 10
Ground: Omori Black to VW Brown @ Pin 6"

The ProSport's are wired in this way:

Red- Constant Power ( A power source that has power with the car on or off)
Black- Ground
White- Accessory(Acc.) Power (Power when Ignition key is on)
Orange- Headlights (Power when Headlights are on). This will make the gauge change color when the headlights are turned on.

How do i know which wires to tap into?

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
just sent j-spec an email about the $25 discount, i'll be buying this setup shortly regardless

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
just got mine, need a boost tap and i'll have this in!! :D

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
got my tap, just need the wire taps and this is going in tonight! :D :D :D :D excited!

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
just did it tonight. its now for sale. i prefer the clean look of the dash. link - boost gauge for sale

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
Radioshack

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

illDub6

Ready to race!
hows the bosot tap

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
hows the bosot tap

42dd. Great customer service, I'll be making a thread for them. Couldn't have had a better purchase.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

illDub6

Ready to race!
i bought the apr boost tap yet to install it and also the new south boost gauge im going to install it this way