GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: upgrade 2011+ manual HVAC to Climatic

cristo_844

k0mpresd

Ready to race!
just did this. works great. thanks for the diy. :)
only downside to not using the footwell sensor is the hvac has a fault code for open circuit. so ill probably end up installing it after all. or make a jumper with resistor.

MotMot

Passed Driver's Ed
just did this. works great. thanks for the diy. :)
only downside to not using the footwell sensor is the hvac has a fault code for open circuit. so ill probably end up installing it after all. or make a jumper with resistor.

Is having the fault code an issue? Or will it live with it fine?
T

k0mpresd

Ready to race!
so if anyone gets shafted by an ebay seller (this guy did) and gets a junk panel, it is possible to disassemble the panel to swap parts. and its pretty easy too.

just take the 5 screws out of the back and pry on the back panel between the panel and the pcb. the ac button is the only thing holding it together besides the 5 screws and the button is just pressed on. i used a plastic case opening tool for iphone/ipad for example. once i pried for a bit around the center the button popped off and the panel opened up.

then remove whatever pieces you need. in my case its the front trim piece and the recirc button. the front trim can just be popped off without opening the hvac itself.

repaired panel.

also, in case anyone is interested, i dumped the firmware from the 93c86 eeprom inside the climatic hvac controls: http://www.filedropper.com/vwmk6climatic3c8907336ajori
i wanted to dump the firmware from the original hvac since it has the updated firmware to fix the cold on hot problem. but it seems the flash is embedded in the cpu. so not very easily accessible. :(

Last edited:

dmnieto

so if anyone gets shafted by an ebay seller (this guy did) and gets a junk panel, it is possible to disassemble the panel to swap parts. and its pretty easy too.

just take the 5 screws out of the back and pry on the back panel between the panel and the pcb. the ac button is the only thing holding it together besides the 5 screws and the button is just pressed on. i used a plastic case opening tool for iphone/ipad for example. once i pried for a bit around the center the button popped off and the panel opened up.

then remove whatever pieces you need. in my case its the front trim piece and the recirc button. the front trim can just be popped off without opening the hvac itself.

repaired panel.

also, in case anyone is interested, i dumped the firmware from the 93c86 eeprom inside the climatic hvac controls: http://www.filedropper.com/vwmk6climatic3c8907336ajori
i wanted to dump the firmware from the original hvac since it has the updated firmware to fix the cold on hot problem. but it seems the flash is embedded in the cpu. so not very easily accessible. :(

I can't believe it.

This is exactly the same HVAC control I received a month ago and I returned because of the broken keys.

The seller gave me a new one BTW...

Where did you get that picture?

k0mpresd

Ready to race!
I can't believe it.

This is exactly the same HVAC control I received a month ago and I returned because of the broken keys.

The seller gave me a new one BTW...

Where did you get that picture?

small world.
i took those pictures.

TheCastle

Ready to race!
Bump for a great guide. I just did it myself. One question though, how do you know if your footduct sensor and dash vent temp sensors are working correctly? the guide wasn't clear what was pin 1 on the sensors, and I wanted to find out if there was a test to show if I wired it correctly. Don't have vag-com.