GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: upgrade 2011+ manual HVAC to Climatic

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
there are a couple of climate panels with that part number on ebay right now for $40-$45, fyi

dead_catz

Ready to race!
Just did this mod on my 2013 Drivers edition, and the footwell vent is different than older models. It is held in by 2 screws which can be reached by pulling out the little dash cubby, and the other can be reached by raising the steering wheel all the way up and going in the gap at the base. I made my harnesses 5' and 2' and both were too long for me and i have about 4ft total wiring wrapped up behind my control unit. Thanks for the writeup, i will enjoy this, especially on those long trips where i can't ever get a steady temperature

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Dumb question, how does this work automatically? I mean, you have to set it on 1,2,3,4 right? Does the number actually matter on this setup?

eduardot

Ready to race!
Dumb question, how does this work automatically? I mean, you have to set it on 1,2,3,4 right? Does the number actually matter on this setup?

It only makes temperature regulation automatic. You still have to manually control fan speed.

MotMot

Passed Driver's Ed
This mod is a BIG improvement on the regular heater controls but remember it's not as good as full climate control. I've noticed it's got a large lag in responding (ie if I drive up a hill/mountain and gain 500m - and drop a few degrees fast - then it's pretty slow to respond). Also the cabin temp sensors are buried in the control panel - which I suspect doesn't help with a fast response. But it's much better - instead of constantly twiddling the old temp knob it's more or less left alone now...

J400uk

Ready to race!
I'd quite like to do this but it looks a bit more challenging than my usual DIY efforts. How easy is the cabling side? Is there any way to buy the wires pre-made?

EDIT: Noticed a few people have commented it works ok without the footwell sensor, so I'll skip that section perhaps.

Last edited:

hangtenboy

Success!

I followed the instructions right up to the letter, but the only difference was that I used the part number that was for 2010 Jetta (3C8-907-336N) which is an older production date, but a little less expensive. I found the part on eBay for $50, but other than that every other part I used was the ones on the original posting. I did use 18 gauge speaker wire where one of the wires was coppervand the other was silver so that way I can remember which one went to post one and which one to post two. It's awesome and works with no codes thrown.

Last edited:

hangtenboy

there are a couple of climate panels with that part number on ebay right now for $40-$45, fyi
Hey, man. I watch all your videos and reviews. Saw not too long ago that you are in a 2015 Subaru now. Very nice. How do you like it so far?

monkeyvirus

resurrecting this thread...! I am about to this upgrade on my 2013 Golf 2.5L. I completed the install, found the HVAC control unit for $15 on ebay. and the sensors were $28 each. Now I am trying to figure out if this actually works. Ran a VCDS and clear all of errors when the Battery was disconnected. Now trying to figure out if I take my car to the dealer and have them update the firmware of the climatic unit because the current units has 0305. I am out of warranty to probably will wait when they have an offer for an oil change. hope fully they run a scan with their VAG machine and upgrade the firmware.

Last edited:

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
has anybody done a full auto dual climate upgrade?

I've researched it before and found that it'd be way too much of a hassle to source the parts, not to mention doing the actual installation. Climatic is more than enough for me.

boss_y

Could somebody provide me a DIY manual with pictures? Pictures in OP are not working anymore... Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Canuck

Ready to race!
I have a copy. I took screen shots and put them into a PDF. Just need to figure out how to upload them, or I can email them out. PM me if need be.