GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does anyone have a modded GTI?

Eddie32

I am wondering if anyone here has a modded GTI preferably the VI, pushing around 280whp+? Wondering if it is driveable because I hear it is not?

ShahulX

Ready to race!
Plenty of people on here have modded gti mk6's.... The car has 200 hp which is good for fwd.... Somehow the Focus RS makes by with 300 (340 with the rs500) and they seem to be able to quell some of the torque steer ( not all).

Next week I'm doing the apr stage 1 and carbonio intake to make get about 230-240hp and about 250lb ft.... Which I think should be just right for a well balanced fwd

turbor850

Ready to race!
I don't but it definitely would be drivable.

I have a VolvoS60 heavily modded pushing 300+whp. FWD, no LSD or XDS - it takes a special touch and balls, but it is drivable.

I had a 850R with 340+ whp, no lsd also! :thumbsup:

But FWD no matter the hp is only as good as the driver and the tires the car has. I generally wouln't punch it under 40 anyway if I had a car like this with 280+ whp, highway monster would be good though.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
Don't they have a problem with the clutch and transmission if they go over 200bhp. I'm told the GTD will go to 195bhp anything after the clutch and transmission will be unreliable. ;)

ShahulX

Ready to race!
^ highly doubt it.... dct's may not be able to handle as much power as some more simplistic stick-manuals... But I think 300 would be fine... Manufacterurs over engineer parts and run rich for warranty and reliability so selling cars that can barely handle their stock power is not wise and doubt the gti has that issue

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
VW made a W12 GTI and top gear tested it...
This might of started the driveability rumors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlu5BS0jtMk

The w12 was just a concept... The golf/ gti has too short of a wheel base to be mid engined and rwd... It wouldve worked better as awd... But again it was just a design exercise.

Search YouTube for apr stage 3 and Randy Pobst... That shows what a stage 3 gti can do.

I remember there was also a similar video in realworld driving conditions that spoke if how easy to live with the stage 3 tune is... But I can't find it.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Don't they have a problem with the clutch and transmission if they go over 200bhp. I'm told the GTD will go to 195bhp anything after the clutch and transmission will be unreliable. ;)

Nope. It's the same transmission as the 08 r32 and the mkvi r20 use - in other words, good for at LEAST 250.

My shop has a number over 280 hp with no problems at all. They don't recommend going over 300, but that's not terribly usable power in a fwd anyway.