GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Review of 034 Dogbone Insert

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
I've seen and read a number of reviews on the 034 Motorsport dogbone insert. The problem was there wasn't much specificity when it came to how this little mod affected a DSG. There was generally more speculation than experience. I'm not saying the experience isn't out there, but perhaps it isn't codified in a thread.

So needless to say, this is a quick review of the insert from a DSG perspective. Additionally, so you know my mindset, my goal is to keep my car "wife approved," which means quiet and comfortable. So I'm currently in the business of trying to maintain the feel and sound of stock while making upgrades.

A little information about the install. SUPER EASY! Took about ten minutes, and five of those minutes were changing sockets, finding and setting torque specs, etc. It was really only five minutes of actual *work*.

On to the testing...

I've only driven it about 20 miles with the insert. 10 miles without the air conditioning on and another 10 with the air conditioning on.

Launches *seem* a bit better than they were. It could be a placebo effect, or it could be real. Either way, I've spent much more than $40 on mods that probably engaged the placebo effect more than anything.

As far as noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) goes, DSG guys can't feather the clutch like the MT guys can. So the NVH could potentially affect us more. With that being said, there is a slight increase in NVH. And it is only noticeable from about 700-1100 RPMs (first gear obviously). It didn't seem to matter if I was on the pedal or not. If the motor was in that 400 RPM range, I could feel/hear some vibration. I only noticed it if I tried to notice it. And by the end of my *test* I actually forgot that I was testing the insert because I didn't notice the NVH. There were no other rattles or issues associated with this part.

One interesting observation was that the NVH increase actually seemed lessened with the AC on. I anticipated it being worse, but that wasn't the case.

Overall, I like the upgrade and for the money, I think it is worthwhile, even for DSG guys. At the end of the day, I believe this mod is DSG and wife approved.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
+1 to the insert. I have it to, also DSG. It helped with a little slop in the shifting i was having, i dont notice any NVH... i could when i first put it in if i was trying to notice it feel a little vibration upon starting off in 1st gear but i dont feel anything at all anymore.
It also made the engine sound a little better had a different kind of rumble to it ever so slightly..

Defiantly a must over the poly inserts. This literally slides in. Mine ended up costing like $47 because i bought a new bolt from the dealership to replace the old stretch bolt.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
+1 to the insert. I have it to, also DSG. It helped with a little slop in the shifting i was having, i dont notice any NVH... i could when i first put it in if i was trying to notice it feel a little vibration upon starting off in 1st gear but i dont feel anything at all anymore.
It also made the engine sound a little better had a different kind of rumble to it ever so slightly..

Defiantly a must over the poly inserts. This literally slides in. Mine ended up costing like $47 because i bought a new bolt from the dealership to replace the old stretch bolt.

+1 to the deep rumble of the engine. I actually like that aspect of the insert. It makes the engine sound meaner, but not so mean that people would think you've modified it.

I was able to buy mine new for $35 out the door. I bought it the 034 Summerfest and they had everything 10% off. But Ed, the owner, is also a vet, so he gave me another big discount for being military.

So I'm sold on the product and the business. All of the 034 guys I spoke with at Summerfest were way cool.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
+1 to the deep rumble of the engine. I actually like that aspect of the insert. It makes the engine sound meaner, but not so mean that people would think you've modified it.

I was able to buy mine new for $35 out the door. I bought it the 034 Summerfest and they had everything 10% off. But Ed, the owner, is also a vet, so he gave me another big discount for being military.

So I'm sold on the product and the business. All of the 034 guys I spoke with at Summerfest were way cool.

Yeah they seem to be a good company with good quality and parts.
The motor and trans mount may provide more NVH than you want(for the wife test) but i would look into it as well.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Yeah they seem to be a good company with good quality and parts.
The motor and trans mount may provide more NVH than you want(for the wife test) but i would look into it as well.

I am a little nervous for the other mounts.

But I was able to get the motor/trans mounts and the strut mounts for $50 out the door, so I won't be out the door much if I decide it is too much.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Im running just the 034 mount on my GLI DSG and I love it. At cold start and in reverse/creeping there is extra NVH but its not too bad. I went to track with it and I was getting no wheel hop just spinning the tires and then they would hook. Great mod for $40 though

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I am a little nervous for the other mounts.

But I was able to get the motor/trans mounts and the strut mounts for $50 out the door, so I won't be out the door much if I decide it is too much.

Wait you got the the Engine Mount, Transmission Mount, and the dogbone insert for $50?

Cause the Engine and Trans Mount cost $240 packaged together. And strut mounts are $50 (Each i think)

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Wait you got the the Engine Mount, Transmission Mount, and the dogbone insert for $50?

Cause the Engine and Trans Mount cost $240 packaged together. And strut mounts are $50 (Each i think)

Yup. :)

I got the dogbone insert, engine/trans mount, and 2x strut mounts (about $382 worth of goodies) for $85 out the door. You can't get much better than that. they also threw in some other swag like stickers and keychains.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Yup. :)

I got the dogbone insert, engine/trans mount, and 2x strut mounts (about $382 worth of goodies) for $85 out the door. You can't get much better than that. they also threw in some other swag like stickers and keychains.

Buy me a set? lol ill paypal you.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Buy me a set? lol ill paypal you.

Haha, I wish there were more.

I was at 034's Summerfest during the weekend. Part of their dyno day was also an open-box sale. So parts that had been opened or even possibly used were selling for super cheap. They had two pairs of motor/trans mounts (each $50). I decided to buy one (a buddy bought the other), and the 034 guy there threw in the strut mounts for free. I think he called it a military discount.

Am I a new life-long fan of 034? You betcha ya!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Haha, I wish there were more.

I was at 034's Summerfest during the weekend. Part of their dyno day was also an open-box sale. So parts that had been opened or even possibly used were selling for super cheap. They had two pairs of motor/trans mounts (each $50). I decided to buy one (a buddy bought the other), and the 034 guy there threw in the strut mounts for free. I think he called it a military discount.

Am I a new life-long fan of 034? You betcha ya!

Yeah i have never been disappointed in them. Always good things so far. I kinda wanna do their Subframe Collar kit.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Collar kit would be nice.

I just started to notice a little NVH in second gear (still in the 800-1100 RPMs though). Also noticed a little *sometimes* during reversing.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Collar kit would be nice.

I just started to notice a little NVH in second gear (still in the 800-1100 RPMs though). Also noticed a little *sometimes* during reversing.

Put a katy perry song on and you will soon be forgetting about any NVH because youll get lost in the enjoyment. lol

Nah its one of those things you only feel it because your looking for it kind of things. So just gotta get it out your head and then after a few days you wont even remember its on. (Besides the benefits of no slop)

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Put a katy perry song on and you will soon be forgetting about any NVH because youll get lost in the enjoyment. lol

Nah its one of those things you only feel it because your looking for it kind of things. So just gotta get it out your head and then after a few days you wont even remember its on. (Besides the benefits of no slop)

I imagine that's how it will be.

My previous SR20 with a loud exhaust was pretty bad. But I even got to the point where I wouldn't notice/think about it anymore. This should be the same.