GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine replacement 2011

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion

I finally got my engine out, just have to find a rebuilt or low mileage to put back in. There are so many electrical xonnections, i tried to mark bundles so i know their location. I plan on ko4 or larger before reinstalling. Posting here as i will have questions in the future..
I lost oil pressure i the old motor apr stage 2 with 140k miles. Cant wait to get it back on the road, my 2001 crv just doesn't do it..after losing oil pressure i still drove it successfully for 5 days then decided i didn't want to get stuck somewhere.
TLDR first engine replacement, marked electrical and pulled it out the front. Need future help

Carnage...

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Advice, comments, cares concerns and shit talk is more than welcome!
I had just had the timing tensioner done, found this in the oil pan also..not sure where it came from..

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Wow! All that looks like cast aluminium shavings to me, I can’t think where that lug is from but it looks like whatever bolt was through it could have been loose judging by the wear on the surface and the irregular shape of the hole so it’s likely the culprit for the cause of failure! IMO!

This thread could be of interest to you!
Blown motor, tensioner failure 2.0TSI 2012 GTI 93K miles What would you do?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...m/forums/showthread.php?t=114419&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Take off the lower timing cover. Im almost certain its one of the balance shaft mounting tabs. Likely one shaft is destroyed and low oil pressure is a common symptom for it. Not sure what caused it though.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Take off the lower timing cover. Im almost certain its one of the balance shaft mounting tabs. Likely one shaft is destroyed and low oil pressure is a common symptom for it. Not sure what caused it though.

It does indeed!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
If it is indeed the one of the balance shafts it could mean that the engine is okay and just the shaft needs replacing! I understand that a worn bearing can make them fail (it’s very rare fortunately)! and in your case it may well be caused by the bolt that holds that lug having worked loose allowing movement.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Wow! All that looks like cast aluminium shavings to me, I can’t think where that lug is from but it looks like whatever bolt was through it could have been loose judging by the wear on the surface and the irregular shape of the hole so it’s likely the culprit for the cause of failure! IMO!

This thread could be of interest to you!
Blown motor, tensioner failure 2.0TSI 2012 GTI 93K miles What would you do?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...m/forums/showthread.php?t=114419&share_type=t

Agreed, hole isnt symmetric. Yes, all shavings are alum..

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion

Looks like it, havent had a chance yet. Wont till nexr weekend. Someone posted a vid i watched and that had happened to him. I dont really want to put a motor back in it with 140k miles. Isnt worth the trouble but neber know..could do rings and what not and put it back in

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I tried a impact, it didnt budge. How might i go about getting something to hold it? I assume it is lefty loose?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I have built ac vw motors, but didnt have a harmonic balancer....(i assume thats what this is)

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion

Look like the screens went through the shaft. But i think the loose screw caused it all. Im taking a big risk in that i just replaced the balance shaft and going to reassemble.
I think it will be good until i get another. I didnt have to take the timing chain off, was able to get shafts gears timed correctly. I may pull the pan and check the rod bearings. Its a lot of work to gamble but driving the crv sucks!

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Called it! How'd you get the crank pulley off? Also, I'd take off the cam bridge bracket too to check to see if the screen is still there as well and didn't get sent through the engine causing any damage. Mine was sitting intact in the opening oil passage luckily.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Called it! How'd you get the crank pulley off? Also, I'd take off the cam bridge bracket too to check to see if the screen is still there as well and didn't get sent through the engine causing any damage. Mine was sitting intact in the opening oil passage luckily.

Took it to my friends euro shop, he just zapped it off. Said thats how they always do it...yes, guess i should check in the cam bridge while im there. If that is gone then who is responsible for this mess? I had them do my chain and tensioner about 2 months ago..