GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine squeal, jumping rpms

kendanf

So I just had this happen on the drive to lunch. The engine under deceleration started to make a loud squealing noise I could hear very loudly inside the cabin as well as outside the car when I rolled the windows down.

I turned the a/c off and the radio thinking it could be one of those. The noise was still there. This was all at low acceleration <3k rpm. I pull into my driveway and take it out of gear and engaged the e-brake and got out. The rpms started climbing while out of the car and the noise popped up again. I thought at first it was coming from underneath the car, where it was the loudest, but upon further inspection it seems to be coming from the engine.

I was just wondering to see if anyone knew what it could be? The pcv videos I saw weren't whining like this and the TOB videos didn't persist like this noise does.

Also, the throttle seems to climb slightly for a while and then let off. Overall the car is very jerky so I don't know if I could pin down the issue.

I checked the oil and it wasn't low, slightly darker, but still has a straw color. Only 2500 miles on this oil.

Here is the video I took:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j2_chuVVPg

Luckily, my wife is home and I can use her car. I'm worried if I drive it more it would damage the car, however, the vw dealership is about 15-20 miles away so I may have to just give it a try.

Again, as far as I know this was only happening at low rpms, BUT it would only happen at a certain range above 2k rpms.

edit: More details. 78k miles, 6MT, coolant level is good, no leaks. No check engine light, and I do not have a VAGCOM to check for any diagnosis.

Last edited:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I'd take that to the dealer ASAP! Something doesn't seem right at all. This definitely does not sound like the TOB or a belt noise. Sounds more metallic. I really hope I'm wrong and it's something stupid like a belt or a pulley.

Honestly, I'd probably bite the bullet and flat bed it.

Perrinje

Hello Kendanf,
Ian curious if you solved your problem with the screaming noise from your engine. I listened to your engine on your YouTube video and it is exactly the sound I am having. This started about 2 hours ago very abruptly. I'm now sitting in my car (11pm) and waiting for a tow that will get here around 8am. I didn't want to take any chances. So, I'm sure you figured out the problem by now. Please let me know what the problem was. Thank you

kendanf

So, sorry for being late with this and bringing up an old thread, but it did end up being the PCV. I took it to the VW dealer in Houston, TX. Luckily it was fixed quickly and it did solve the problem. The way the noise sounded kind of threw me off which is why I didn't think PCV at first.

Just wanted to update anyone who finds their way here on any google searches so they don't get a dead end.

Kendan

kri$han

Passed Driver's Ed
Bumping this thread...

Exactly what I had a month or two ago

And was it rectified by replacing the PCV? I'm having this exact issue. In one 15 minute drive, the noise went from intermittent to constant, and its REALLY loud. How can a positive crankcase valve cause SO much noise?

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
noise

Bumping this thread...

And was it rectified by replacing the PCV? I'm having this exact issue. In one 15 minute drive, the noise went from intermittent to constant, and its REALLY loud. How can a positive crankcase valve cause SO much noise?

Sounds like the bearing in the alternator is going bad and will lock up shortly , could also be belt tensioner bearing going bad. My guess is the alternator put a large dia hose down there and then the other end to your ear that will help you pin point it you will know right away being that loud . Good luck Bob.G

kri$han

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like the bearing in the alternator is going bad and will lock up shortly , could also be belt tensioner bearing going bad. My guess is the alternator put a large dia hose down there and then the other end to your ear that will help you pin point it you will know right away being that loud . Good luck Bob.G

Thanks for this, but I purchased the PCV valve assy ($230 CAD!! FFS) and installed it last night - it was exactly the remedy the car needed. Just gotta wait for the CEL to clear now...

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Thanks for this, but I purchased the PCV valve assy ($230 CAD!! FFS) and installed it last night - it was exactly the remedy the car needed. Just gotta wait for the CEL to clear now...

If you want the cell to clear faster unhook and rehook the battery.