GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'Fast and Furious' actor Paul Walker dead after car crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
There should be about 10Xs less Sympathy for a Celebrity and about 1 Billion Xs more for the Troops.

America's priorities are backwards.

how can anyone feel sympathy towards someone they don't know or don't have a personal connection with? Technically we don't know Paul but many people have a personal connection with him from his movies, hence we will feel sympathy for him. If you don't even hear about a soldier passing away or only read a name how can you feel sympathy? If they did a segment on that soldier's life to build that personal connection then people would feel the same way about that soldier and a hollywood star. It's not rocket science.

vdubvroom

Ready to race!
I am in the military and it does upset me at times how troops deaths are overlooked when we are out there protecting the entire country with our lifes. But I do agree that people are going to show more sympathy towards famous individuals for the sheer fact that they are looked up to more and are in the spotlight. I worked Honor Guard for a bit and would do military funerals a lot. I did one where a retired memeber who passed away who had no family, no friends, no nothing to show up to the funeral. It was us and the pastor and hurse driver. It was one of the sadder moments working that I had and getting to learn of all the heroic things he had done during world war II but yet had no one there to recognize or show sympathy.

Halvie

WOOSA
I am in the military and it does upset me at times how troops deaths are overlooked when we are out there protecting the entire country with our lifes. But I do agree that people are going to show more sympathy towards famous individuals for the sheer fact that they are looked up to more and are in the spotlight. I worked Honor Guard for a bit and would do military funerals a lot. I did one where a retired memeber who passed away who had no family, no friends, no nothing to show up to the funeral. It was us and the pastor and hurse driver. It was one of the sadder moments working that I had and getting to learn of all the heroic things he had done during world war II but yet had no one there to recognize or show sympathy.

Don't want to post much more about this, but just wanted to say that this isn't what I was trying to suggest at all.

GTIJenn1

Go Kart Champion
Please don't tell me you can't grasp why the general public cares more about a celebrity death than that of a nameless faceless average Joe.

Not suggesting it is right, or that they are equally tragic, but come on.

I have to say I agree with this. This is the thought process of many: I grew up watching Paul Walker in the Fast and Furious movies. His face and voice has been on multiple of my TV screens for the last 14 years. But I have no idea who General Joe is who was killed in a car bombing in a country 4,000 miles away from my own.

I'm not saying it's right. But celebrities are held in much higher regard than those in the military. If they weren't, those in the Forces would make the millions and Brad Pitt would drive an 02 Toyota Corolla.

It's a sad truth but one none the less.

Tech72

Ready to race!
I wonder how much of the ff7 was filmed already.

Sent from my iPhone 5C with Tapatalky

According to reports from industry folks, Paul was supposed to fly to Atlanta on Monday to shoot some "key scenes" for FF7. Apparently, production on FF7 will be halted until further notice. They are saying that the movie may be scrapped altogether. Simply out of respect for one of the main characters of this franchise. Fan backlash may be another reason. They can't continue shooting (even with a replacement actor) on a movie that features fast cars and reckless driving, when it's how the main actor dies in real life. On the other hand, they may re-wite the plot, get a new actor and continue. It's Hollywood, so money speaks louder than ethics.

BTW, I was never a fan of the FF franchise. Weak plots, tough talk, fantasy driving, suped up ricers with gay spoilers and fake flames driven by posers. Not for me thanks.

Thomason84

Ready to race!
There should be about 10Xs less Sympathy for a Celebrity and about 1 Billion Xs more for the Troops.

As a veteran and a current military contractor I can tell you that no troop is forced overseas. Most all troops overseas are volunteers not for America (few May be) but for the tax free pay and tax free re-enlistment bonuses. I have never seen any one go overseas against their will. Celebrities do more for America than the modern day troop. They donate millions to charities and put on fundraiser a that donate even further to the charities. I am willing to bet that one. Celebrity donates helps more Americans directly than 100,000 troops. End rant.

RIP Paul

zrickety

The Fixer
The series is unrealistic and flashy, but I am still a fan. Even if your car is a sleeper, you share a love of the hobby. I also support the troops, it's mostly our government that screws them over.

Thomason84

Ready to race!
Trust me, the troops are not getting screwed over. If you ever have been in the military you would know that. They are doing a job, personally I respect firefighters more than any of the others. Most of them are unpaid volunteers that volunteer countless hours to ensure your safety here at home.

GTIJenn1

Go Kart Champion

I must have missed this post when I was reading the thread earlier but a life is a life. Period. And the fact that you think they should be on different playing fields is incredibly judgmental and inhumane.I think it's time for you to examine the value you place on human life.

According to reports from industry folks, Paul was supposed to fly to Atlanta on Monday to shoot some "key scenes" for FF7. Apparently, production on FF7 will be halted until further notice. They are saying that the movie may be scrapped altogether. Simply out of respect for one of the main characters of this franchise. Fan backlash may be another reason. They can't continue shooting (even with a replacement actor) on a movie that features fast cars and reckless driving, when it's how the main actor dies in real life. On the other hand, they may re-wite the plot, get a new actor and continue. It's Hollywood, so money speaks louder than ethics.

BTW, I was never a fan of the FF franchise. Weak plots, tough talk, fantasy driving, suped up ricers with gay spoilers and fake flames driven by posers. Not for me thanks.

I really hope that doesn't happen. Everyone knows what the FF franchise is all about. Fast cars and wreckless driving. To not continue movie production for this reason alone doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Call it insensitive but you wouldn't change a Circ de Soleil show when one of the performers is killed OUTSIDE of the show production. It just does't make sense.

I also hope they don't continue with a new actor. I feel like this is more insensitive than continuing a movie. You don't replace and actor when he dies. You (should) write it into the plot so the beloved character gets a wonderful end to both his fictitious life and his professional one.

As a veteran and a current military contractor I can tell you that no troop is forced overseas. Most all troops overseas are volunteers not for America (few May be) but for the tax free pay and tax free re-enlistment bonuses. I have never seen any one go overseas against their will. Celebrities do more for America than the modern day troop. They donate millions to charities and put on fundraiser a that donate even further to the charities. I am willing to bet that one. Celebrity donates helps more Americans directly than 100,000 troops. End rant.

RIP Paul

This is exactly the argument I wanted to convey but can't. Thank you so much for this post. Yes. This.

Devilchrono

Ready to race!
From what I've read, it's only about halfway finished...which leaves plenty of time for plot manipulation to end the series on a great notes. We'll see, though.

I don't get why people keep saying they're going to end the series because he died.... They won't, it makes them too much money. They'll rework the plot to write him out of the franchise somehow, and the FF7 may get delayed while the re-shoot some of what they've got; but they won't just shutter the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.