GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FEELER: 2012 GTI 4DR 6MT APR Stg 2

Thumper

Autocross Champion
FS: 2012 GTI 4DR 6MT APR Stg 2

EDIT: Car is now officially for sale.

Weather is still sucky here, thread and OP will be updated with photos hopefully this weekend.

Love my car but the new Golf R is calling my name. :wub:

I am thinking $20k

2012 GTI Sunroof and Nav w/Xenons
Roughly 17,700 miles (Due to weather have to drive this sometimes during the week since the S4 came with UHP Summer tires, so mileage will slightly increase)

Obviously, for a full list and details on my car, my build thread is in my sig.

MODS LIST:

APR Stage 2 with Stock, 91, 93, and 100 maps
42DD Catted, non-res Downpipe
Custom modular center mount exhaust
Modshack VTDA intake (powdercoated in RAL 5002 blue)
Nuespeed Turbo Discharge Pipe (powdercoated in RAL 5002 blue)
BSH Integrated Throttle Pipe (powdercoated in RAL 5002 blue)
SPM Motor mount kit (trans insert not installed)
H&R Super Sport springs
TSW Nürburgring wheels (Bronze) [Have a spare wheel with a bit of rash]
Diesel Geek Short shiter
Double slotted rotors front and rear (Adam's Rotors)
StopTech Track pads
Stainless Steel brake lines
Tyrol caliper bushings
Spyder LED tint tail lights
Euro Headlight switch
Smoked side markers
Plastidipped rear reflectors
Red LED interior lights
5% tint on rear doors and hatch
Front lip spoiler (tornado red)
Smoke side markers
Plastidip rear reflectors

Numerous VCDS tweaks and would happily set it up anyway the buyer wanted.

Oh, and $400 of stickers on the back glass. :lol:

PARTS NOT INSTALLED:

ECS Hatch prop kit
ECS full front underbody shield

Brakes have only one track day on them and less than 5000 miles total. Current tires are Goodyear AS and have 4-5/32 left on them.

Rear bumper valance is still not on, have not gotten the fabrication for the center mount done. Would work with buyer on either swapping in the SPM rear section and new factory valance or leaving as is.

Also, I obviously have a bulletproof OEM clutch, as I have been stage 2 for about 13,000 miles and that includes a dozen track days and the clutch holds like it was new. LOL

Has had all factory services (actually got the 20k done at 15,000 miles LOL) and has had numerous oil changes (at 1000, 3000, 5000, 10,000, and 15,000) with Mobil 1 (and Castrol at the factory ones).

Asking $20,000

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Bumpage.

Pretty sure this "feeler" will become a "for sale" soon. Need the weather to clear up just a little to get some decent pictures.

Thinking about asking around $23k. Thoughts?

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Nice man. Be good to have you on the dark side with a R. Mine is ordered already. :) #25 here. Can't wait to get it.

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
I'd say $23K is to much. More like $20k (but then it depends on your market).

My GTI has a bit more miles (23K) but has an LSD, upgraded intercooler, upgraded clutch with SMFW and upgraded motor mounts; I've listed it for $20k and so far I've had only a few nibbles, here and there.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I'd say $23K is to much. More like $20k (but then it depends on your market).

My GTI has a bit more miles (23K) but has an LSD, upgraded intercooler, upgraded clutch with SMFW and upgraded motor mounts; I've listed it for $20k and so far I've had only a few nibbles, here and there.

KBB and NADA disagree heavily on the base for mine (KBB says $14k :lol: / NADA says $19,050), there are a few bone stock cars at dealerships in the area with 23k or more miles on them going for $18-19k. Probably right, $23 may be a bit high, but hey, you KNOW anyone interested will try to whittle me down and get a "deal", so you have to start a bit high ;)

You know what they say.....something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. LOL :D

Truthfully, that goes for the value and the desire. Modded and unique cars must deal with a shrunken market, not only do you have to find someone who wants the car itself, but then someone who wants the car with upgrades AND with the upgrades we have chosen. So even if your car is "worth" $20k, or more, the lack of interest isn't about the value, it's about the market and finding the person with $20k AND wanting the car.

Truthfully, if someone offered me $20k I wouldn't be offended and tell them to leave, I would consider it and see if we could find a point we could agree on.

zrickety

The Fixer
2 almost 3 years old now. I think your potential buyer would settle closer to $20k than 23. Of course you would do better parting out and taking that NADA of $19k. Glws!

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Of course you would do better parting out and taking that NADA of $19k. Glws!

LMAO

Thought about it, but the time it would take me to swap it back to trade in would be a consideration (might just see what the dealer will do on it as is if no one wants a ready to go track GTI at a steal :D ;) )........and brakes I'd have to leave on cause buying back OEM stuff would be silly...and that's like $800 of parts I would get nothing back on (not like I want anywhere near that, but something is more than nothing LOL)...plus the short shifter would stay in.....

Just swapping the DP, motor mounts and turbo pipes back in we're talking at least a full day, plus re-doing the exhaust near from scratch......

Maybe a trip to the dealer is in order for a trade in quote...... :iono:

zrickety

The Fixer
The dealer will probably offer you 17 but I encourage you to find out.

Last edited:

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
LMAO

Thought about it, but the time it would take me to swap it back to trade in would be a consideration (might just see what the dealer will do on it as is if no one wants a ready to go track GTI at a steal :D ;) )........and brakes I'd have to leave on cause buying back OEM stuff would be silly...and that's like $800 of parts I would get nothing back on (not like I want anywhere near that, but something is more than nothing LOL)...plus the short shifter would stay in.....

Just swapping the DP, motor mounts and turbo pipes back in we're talking at least a full day, plus re-doing the exhaust near from scratch......

Maybe a trip to the dealer is in order for a trade in quote...... :iono:

My dealer stopped when I said "it wont pass smog"...

But another one is very persistent in getting it appraised. I may do it anyway, just for shits and giggles; but I doubt anyone will offer me more than 17.5K for it...

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
If the motivation to sell is for a good practical reason, ie a baby on the way and i need more room, than you might have to take a little beating, but if it is just to upgrade or get something with a few more options, than run the numbers, you may decide that you really can't afford to sell the car, especially a highly modded one.

There is no doubt you have spent many hours giving this car a lot of TLC, detailing etc. and you modded it to your liking, and it probably looks as good as a new one.

My voice of reason would be, if the car runs good, modded to what you like and if the market is soft or flooded, than hang on to it. This would make more financial sense.

But it does not hurt to try to sell it, but i would definitely have a bottom number that i wouldn't go below, no matter how much that R appeals to you. Reference trading your car in: Remember a dealer stays in businesses by making a profit on trade ins, selling used cars and naturally new ones, and they have their numbers when you start to negotiate. So always be patient and prepared to walk.

GLWS

Thumper

Autocross Champion
But it does not hurt to try to sell it, but i would definitely have a bottom number that i wouldn't go below, no matter how much that R appeals to you. Reference trading your car in: Remember a dealer stays in businesses by making a profit on trade ins, selling used cars and naturally new ones, and they have their numbers when you start to negotiate. So always be patient and prepared to walk.

GLWS

Well put. Yeah, I'm not really a "motivated" seller, I'm not taking a hard loss on the car (other than the standard loss of depreciation and lack of return on mods). I rolled a big upside from the 08 Superbee into this car and my current payoff is STILL below the guide and books values for an unmodified car. So I am already coming out "ahead", from a certain point of view....LOL

I just want the R. Gotten spoiled with my other AWD cars driving in the winter out here. If it's not sold by Spring, I will probably change my mind as it won't be as big of a deal. :bellyroll:

The other side is that if I sell the GTI, I can lease the R and save money on the monthly then buy it out at the end........

zrickety

The Fixer
I love all the R's but 30% fuel loss is a deal breaker for me.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I love all the R's but 30% fuel loss is a deal breaker for me.

30%??

EPA rating is 10% less than a current GTI, and since my GTI is rated at 31 and I regularly get 36+ if I stay out of the turbo I bet they are not that bad. Too bad they didn't put the Audi 7 speed DSG in them.

zrickety

The Fixer
I get 30 mpg mixed. I hear the R is closer to 20 mpg. Who wants to stay out of the turbo?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I get 30 mpg mixed. I hear the R is closer to 20 mpg. Who wants to stay out of the turbo?

Well, if you care about MPG, you stay out of the turbo.....if you care about power, get in the turbo....and stop looking at the MPG. :) That's the beauty part......it's like having two cars.

Whoever is getting 20 in an R must really be a stoplight racer. My S4 with a supercharged 6 cylinder gets more than that. LOL