GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Filling in hood notch on fiberglass hood.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone has some recommendations for filling in a notch in a fiberglass hood.
hood pictured below.
h1.jpg
h2.jpg

I'm aware for regular hood welding and filling is the standard right way to do it but I don't have too much experience with fiberglass.

Thanks!

Attachments

• hood restore.JPG
    hood restore.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 114

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
i feel like i have seen someone place a piece of vinyl in the immediate area of the notch, and then filled it in with bondo or fiberglass or something, then they sanded it to be flush.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
i feel like i have seen someone place a piece of vinyl in the immediate area of the notch, and then filled it in with bondo or fiberglass or something, then they sanded it to be flush.

Do you think bondo would hold shape over this big of an area?
I was thinking of attaching a plastic notch filler and then applying filler over that.
Just not sure how thats gonna hold up.

Since you are in California, you have options, I would suggest a grill or louvers of some type.
These are for the Mk6/MK7
https://www.verus-engineering.com/product-page/hood-louver-kit-golf-r-mk7

Im a bit confused what your getting at here.
Suggesting i put a louver where the notch is?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Do you think bondo would hold shape over this big of an area?
I was thinking of attaching a plastic notch filler and then applying filler over that.
Just not sure how thats gonna hold up.

Im a bit confused what your getting at here.
Suggesting i put a louver where the notch is?

notch fill with filler might work, but i agree it may not hold up.

i think they misunderstood your original post, thinking you wanted to patch the vents instead of the arc where the emblem sits.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
notch fill with filler might work, but i agree it may not hold up.

i think they misunderstood your original post, thinking you wanted to patch the vents instead of the arc where the emblem sits.

Yea, i just dont want to damage the hood by doing it.
Its one thing if it fails, its another if it takes the hood out with it aha.

Ah ok that makes more sense, i couldnt figure out what he meant.
But yes referring to the emblem notch not the vents.

The hood has attachments to keep rain from going on sensitive parts.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
There's no way bondo will hold if you are talking about filling the semi-circle cutout for when the hood would meet the VW emblem on the grill. That area would need a pretty excessive amount of body work, you'd need to support it from underneath, so you'd need to build up fiberglass under the hood, and on top of it, you're looking at a good amount of fiberglass matt, resin, filler, and a TON of sanding, and even then I wouldn't be too confident it'll be up to standard.

So, if I understand what you're trying to fill, then this is not a DIY job, and I suspect most body shops will either tell you to take a hike, or quote you a lot more than it will cost to buy a new hood.

To be a bit more specific, there isn't nearly enough surface area for filler to bond to. You have a very thin (1/4" maybe?) piece to work with, so you'll need to reinforce it top and bottom.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
There's no way bondo will hold if you are talking about filling the semi-circle cutout for when the hood would meet the VW emblem on the grill. That area would need a pretty excessive amount of body work, you'd need to support it from underneath, so you'd need to build up fiberglass under the hood, and on top of it, you're looking at a good amount of fiberglass matt, resin, filler, and a TON of sanding, and even then I wouldn't be too confident it'll be up to standard.

So, if I understand what you're trying to fill, then this is not a DIY job, and I suspect most body shops will either tell you to take a hike, or quote you a lot more than it will cost to buy a new hood.

To be a bit more specific, there isn't nearly enough surface area for filler to bond to. You have a very thin (1/4" maybe?) piece to work with, so you'll need to reinforce it top and bottom.

Yea thats why i was thinking of maybe like jb welding one of those cheap plastic notch fillers and then adding filler on top of that.
Whats nice is that the hood is fairly thicker than our standard hood.
Which allows for there to be more surface area to adhere to as well as for the filler to be decently thick (for better or worse)
Will have to look around for the most appropriate "filler" for this type of job would be.

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
Get a peice of fiberglass cut to shape grind the surrounding area and use tiger hair. Then avoid that spot when you open/close the hood, so it lasts longer