GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forgive an old man, but why so low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTiBri

You bet your ass it made contact.

Does that contact tear up the tire sidewall? I'm seriously asking a non-trolling question here. No intent to start a war. Just trying to understand why suspension setup to make contact with the tire is desired.

I don't get it either, but to each his own.

I wouldn't personally go any lower than the Driver Gear drop.

Powling

Ready to race!
Because too many people mod their cars to piss off the "haters" instead of just modding them to enjoy driving them.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Does that contact tear up the tire sidewall? I'm seriously asking a non-trolling question here. No intent to start a war. Just trying to understand why suspension setup to make contact with the tire is desired.

Yep... alignment is fubared, the fenders get screwed up, the handling is ruined etc

That's just the modifying trend in these cars...

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
I don't get it either, but to each his own.

I wouldn't personally go any lower than the Driver Gear drop.

I'm 24 and I have to agree, it's just not my thing, but to each their own.

I'm stock height and I find the car to be fairly low, just about low enough. If I get bored I may look at DG springs and maybe koni FSD. But to be honest in NJ during the winter i feel like the front bumper will turn into a plow on snowy days :yikes:

Powling

Ready to race!
I'm 24 and I have to agree, it's just not my thing, but to each their own.

I'm stock height and I find the car to be fairly low, just about low enough. If I get bored I may look at DG springs and maybe koni FSD. But to be honest in NJ during the winter i feel like the front bumper will turn into a plow on snowy days :yikes:

This. I'm on H&R Super Sports and I am not going any lower, it's going to be interesting to see how it drives in the winter.

fpayson

Ready to race!
I'll admit, I'm an old guy in this crowd at 43. I had a '83 GTI I owned and drove for 14 years. I love the performance and handling of my current '11 6sp GTI, and it has continued to deliver a smile each time I drive it.

Aside from the smaller wheel gap some desire, what is driving reason behind so many Dubbers wanting to put air bags or coil springs on their car to lower them to the bump stops? Doesn't it ride like a covered wagon and destroy what makes the GTI shine as a hot hatch? :yikes:

Hey, I'm from rowlett too!

haha, i'm 27 and i had a lowered accord and I dont think I'll ever lower my car again, roads have too many holes and bumps!

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Don't get it myself I'm 26, looks blech to me.

Never seen it on cars, only small sized trucks and el camino's the mexicano's drive around here...

johnnyveelish

Go Kart Champion
done right they look very nice. not my cup of tea though. i have DG springs ready to be installed for the purpose of reducing the floaty ride.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Lowering your car (when done right) is to improve handling....putting your car on air bags is so you have a $25k+ seat to sit on while you listen to dubstep

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
Well, OP, I am older than you, so I can assure you its not an age thing. Attend a few car shows and see if you dont like lowered cars. Just to be clear, not every lowered car has poke, I dont. Second, my air suspension rides very nice, and I have MORE freedom than the guys on coils or springs. I generally ride very close to stock height. I also dont always dump all the way out when I park. Sometimes, I just lower it a few inches, just depends.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

To bring some flavor into this...

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Status
Not open for further replies.