GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Franco516 build

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Still happy with the BC’s as Koni replacements? I’m in the same boat. Riding on old Koni’s I bought used with unknown mileage. Deciding whether to buy another set of Koni’s or switch to BCs. 3rd choice is HPA’s, but they don’t go as low as Koni’s.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Still happy with the BC’s as Koni replacements? I’m in the same boat. Riding on old Koni’s I bought used with unknown mileage. Deciding whether to buy another set of Koni’s or switch to BCs. 3rd choice is HPA’s, but they don’t go as low as Koni’s.

Yes. I like them better than the Konis. The fact than i can easily adjust the dampening without taking them apart is amazing. Id recommend them over the konis.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Update on the GTI. Lot's of things have happened in the last month git, car feels better than ever.

IMG-9918.jpg

24A5930D-B22F-4071-87C4-D40CD4FBBD95.JPG
95C4918D-9239-4538-8CF4-157DF3335845.JPG

New Mods include:
- Maxton spoiler
- OEM Hella Cherry red tails
- SB Stage 3 daily clutch
- New window switch lol
- 40% tints up front

Last edited:

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Update on the GTI. Lot's of things have happened in the last month and a half.
A

Driving home from work one day, trans blew up. No idea.. was NOT* driving hard, just chilling. Thought it was the engine first but it was the trans, pulled over and noticed 1,2,3,5 gears worked but not 4 or 6th. Luckily I was able to get home in 5th gear and avoided a tow service. Long story short, not really sure what happened but it sounded horrible. Ill post a video here if I can lol.

Did some research and bought a used trans for 325$ from a wrecked mk6 with 87k on it, got the shop to swap it and also put in a SB stage3 clutch while they were in there. Car is back to normal, clutch has about 600 miles on it now and legit, car feels better than ever. New (used) trans feels solid AF. Really wasn't the end of the world. Shop also did some 40% tints up front and some PDR on my left bumper.

View attachment 200587

View attachment 200588View attachment 200589

New Mods include:
- Maxton spoiler
- OEM Hella Cherry red tails
- SB Stage 3 daily clutch
- New window switch lol
- 40% tints up front
No Lsd?

torga

Autocross Champion
LSD and steel forks would def go in if I planned to rebuild/replace a trans.
But at the same time, Franco wasn't planning on this expense so maybe he just wanted to get the car on the road ASAP.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
LSD and steel forks would def go in if I planned to rebuild/replace a trans.
But at the same time, Franco wasn't planning on this expense so maybe he just wanted to get the car on the road ASAP.
this is 100% correct. I couldnt afford to have my car off the road that long and I am in the process of buying a house so the extra 1200 lsd price +labor was not something I was down for at this moment. Thought about it hard tho.. trust me

torga

Autocross Champion
this is 100% correct. I couldnt afford to have my car off the road that long and I am in the process of buying a house so the extra 1200 lsd price +labor was not something I was down for at this moment. Thought about it hard tho.. trust me
It must've been devilishly temping, huh? I woulda felt the same way.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I would have skipped the new clutch and went with an Lsd instead. You can always slap a new clutch in later vs having to have someone else install the lsd. That is if you did the work.

Yea, 2 years ago I bought a 2001 Honda crv as a back for when this car is broke.

Glad your back on the road, good luck on new house!

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
I would have skipped the new clutch and went with an Lsd instead. You can always slap a new clutch in later vs having to have someone else install the lsd. That is if you did the work.

Yea, 2 years ago I bought a 2001 Honda crv as a back for when this car is broke.

Glad your back on the road, good luck on new house!
I couldnt handle the BFI stage3 clutch i had in there before. It was dreadful to drive. Made me hate my car. the SB daily is 1000% better.

Thumper

Autocross Champion

Like a double kick to the nuts, insult to injury. Tranny blows but hey its the perfect time to go LSD....but oh wait, no you can't.

Sucks man.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Like a double kick to the nuts, insult to injury. Tranny blows but hey its the perfect time to go LSD....but oh wait, no you can't.

Sucks man.
Its okay, now that i know how stupid cheap these trans go used, i do plan on getting a used beetle one and throwing an lsd in there.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Been on the fence about the Maxton extension, but I think this puts me over the top. Really like how subtle it is.

Or when you get bored, just send it my way :)

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Snowday update: The mods keep on happening.... I've avoided running a catch for the longest time. Really never thought it was necessary as I didn't care much for the 'ohh it'll help with carbon buildup' argument.. the stock PCV does it job BUT there is one issue I kept running into with the stock unit. I have my boost tap hooked up to the manifold just like everyone else, the problem with that is that when I hit boost the blow-by coming from the crankcase/pcv gets sucked up into the vacuum line which leads into my boost gauge and methanol controller in the cabin. I had to replace my meth controller not long ago due it being filled with oil. I even had 2 inline filters but those didn't work either. Only way to avoid this was to get a catch can.
Also having heard stories of catch cans filling up every 2 days in the winter made me not get one living in NY and having below freezing temps for 3-4 months outta the year, finally i gave in and bought a used Forge CC for 200$ shipped from some forum guy.

unnamed (1).jpg

Figured if I was going to run a CC I wanted to vented into the atmosphere and let the BT breath as much as possible, not recirculate it back into the intake. A good friend convinced me to VTA with this good point. You know how in the winter CC's fill up with mostly water? well its the vapors being trapped inside the can which turn into water once the car is driven and being warmed up. The reason why I chose the Forge can is because it comes with a rear PVC block off adapter. All I had to is block off the intake port from the back of the PCV and intake manifold. See pictures.

IMG-0133.PNG
IMG-0131.PNG

Few hardware store runs and here is what I came up with. Worked pretty damn flawlessly.. No issues with idle and seems to be breathing really well and since the can is not* under vacuum it will not be sucking up any oil, just collecting the necessary blow by.

FAAE68D1-1413-4337-A60C-ED93CFEEF8BB.JPG
IMG-0099.jpg
IMG-0115.jpg

IMG-0113.jpg

On another note.. I have a really exciting part coming in the mail tomorrow which im super siked on it.. (;

Last edited: