GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Full TBE vs. downpipe

patrickj

Ready to race!
Quick question:

My R goes in for upgrades in early January. I've locked in APR pricing and am getting the HPFP, Carbonio CAI and APR DP. My tuner mentioned that there is some back pressure exiting the stock exhaust. I'm wondering what I'm leaving on the table by not going with a full TBE and just the DP. I was going to get some LED tails and a few other things with the ~$1000 difference between the DP and TBE.

Thoughts? I'm open to the VWR intake instead of the Carbonio, but Stage II+ is as far as I'll be taking the performance upgrades (maybe the runner flap delete).

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
the added catback will give you a few extra ponies, but it's not gonna make a whole worlds difference. I would just stick with the down pipe for now.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
CBE's can literally go +/- 5-8whp, if that. Save your money for now if that works best for you.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
from forums etc, personal experience, downpipe is good enough, save the money and apply elsewhere IMO.

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
IIRC, when I spoke with Arin at APR, I believe he said the DP was worth 15HP and the CBE was 10HP or 25HP total for TBE.

As well it should also improve throttle response.

When I get mine, I'll be doing the CBE first as I want a bit more noise first, then I'll add the DP.

DasAuto1295

Go Kart Champion
from forums etc, personal experience, downpipe is good enough, save the money and apply elsewhere IMO.

This. I made the mistake of buying a cat back first on a group buy a while back and now I'm on the hunt for a down pipe. I feel like I need one...lol

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
I have downpipe on stock catback and love the sound. Its quiet while cruising, opens up very nicely at full tilt.

I'd go downpipe only every single time.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
Quick question:

I was going to get some LED tails and a few other things with the ~$1000 difference between the DP and TBE.

The guy isn't "saving" the money. IMHO, catback>LED tails.

I'm one of the few people on this forum who thinks LED tails, particularly if you are paying full freight for OEM, is the most overpriced mod. Period. You bought a GTI...not an R. Get over it. LED tails don't magically give you AWD, etc... I think it's a poser mod. :fighting0030: For 1K there is a shitpot of go you can get for what I consider the most overpriced show around.

Whoops...my mistake! Why are you getting LED tails if you have an R????????????...

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
The guy isn't "saving" the money. IMHO, catback>LED tails.

I'm one of the few people on this forum who thinks LED tails, particularly if you are paying full freight for OEM, is the most overpriced mod. Period. You bought a GTI...not an R. Get over it. LED tails don't magically give you AWD, etc... I think it's a poser mod. :fighting0030: For 1K there is a shitpot of go you can get for what I consider the most overpriced show around.

Whoops...my mistake! Why are you getting LED tails if you have an R????????????...

Only a poser would think that way... But to your point, I guess even R owners with LED tails are posers since they a trying so hard and paying so much to be more like the Euro R's. In fact, anyone in the US with a dub is a Euro-poser by your logic. We should all drive fords and chevy's...

This is one of the most tasteful cosmetic OEM mods out there and you knock people for it? Get over your shallow pockets and let those of us who are able to spend our money how we want...

Merkle

Banned
Back on topic.

TBE if you have the $
DownPipe if you don't.

You'll just be quieter with a DP only, so if you want that awesome sound, you'll need a full exhaust.

Good luck and happy modding!

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Back on topic.

TBE if you have the $
DownPipe if you don't.

You'll just be quieter with a DP only, so if you want that awesome sound, you'll need a full exhaust.

Good luck and happy modding!

I know you are trying to help but, not quite accurate. APR's TBE is quieter than stock under3.5k rpm's, which in essence makes the DP louder for daily driving.

Edit: although your breakdown probably applies to some, it's more likely that R owners who can afford the TBE, like myself, might go with just DP for personal preference, as opposed to being limited by coinage. However, I am disgusted with my own indecisiveness on the topic and don't know whatmy personal preference is yet.

Last edited:

Merkle

Banned
Oh OP wants the APR setup?
I haven't heard their set-up. Only thing close is a friend of mine has a 42DD DP and the APR CB on his R. It's a little louder than my Eurojet TBE. But, since I took the cat section out it's about the same. I still prefer mine to his though, it's not as raspy, it's a great sound.

I like my car to sound good, I.e. a full exhaust. But everyone is different.

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Oh OP wants the APR setup?
I haven't heard their set-up. Only thing close is a friend of mine has a 42DD DP and the APR CB on his R. It's a little louder than my Eurojet TBE. But since I took the car section out it's about the same. I still prefer mine to his though, it's not as raspy, it's a great sound.

I like my car to sound good, I.e. a full exhaust. But everyone is different.

If his set up is louder than your eurojet, which I know well btw, than he must have gotten the dp without res. this is the first I've heard of an R with an APR CB mated to anything other that stock or APR's DP. Is he on the forum?

Edit: I should clarify, APR's TBE really growls when WOT so if you are basing your comparison on that type of driving then, I agree it would be louder than the eurojet. It's like magic, under 3.5k it's quiet as a baby, and above 3.5k it growls like beast. So getting just DP you don't get the same quietness in daily driving and you don't get the same growl at WOT.

Last edited: