GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R vs Luxury Sports Sedan

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Auto headlights and windshield wipers are fucking gay and do not make the car better in any way, those options literally do nothing for me but that's just me, rear view camera?? Are you actually being serious ? Please people when did we start driving our cars like pussies where we decided we needed rear view cameras and electric parking brakes and shit.... RNS-510 I would like to come stock along with the tails but the tails don't count because that's just crappy US regulations anyway

I felt the same way about kessy before I had it. Now it's a must. Anyway, I have no issue with people thinking that a $36k should come with more small niceties, especially when some were on previous gen r32's or other cheaper cars even.

No need to call people soft for it. It's like calling people pussies for wanting to use a remote instead of getting up off their lazy duffs and changing the channel manually on the tv:iono:

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
I felt the same way about kessy before I had it. Now it's a must. Anyway, I have no issue with people thinking that a $36k should come with more small niceties, especially when some were on previous gen r32's or other cheaper cars even.

No need to call people soft for it. It's like calling people pussies for wanting to use a remote instead of getting up off their lazy duffs and changing the channel manually on the tv:iono:

I have kessy and I can't lie it's amazing and I love it! That is all;)

jikhead

Ready to race!
I was dead set on getting an A4 but I test drove the Golf R before driving the Audi. I wanted the sport line/package on the A4 but one was not available when I went to test drive the Audi. I loved the A4 and it was very nice on the interior, but after driving it post the Golf R....the A4 just seemed flat out boring compared to the R.

The S4 is out of my price range, but I will definitely give the S3 a look when it is available.

McQueen77

Banned
im going to drive the A4 again when the time comes to get a different car. it was out of my price range when i was getting the GTI. id like the S-Line w/sport package, paddle shifters etc. ive driven my wife's friend's A4 a few times and I loved it. Its not as fun as the GTI or probably R, but its world's more solid and refined and the power is there.

luckeydoug1

Passed Driver's Ed
I love both my 08 R32 and my Golf R. I did not buy them because of price, but rather because of what they are. Price was not a factor. In fact, I recently test drove an Audi S4 (sticker price was $30k or so more than the Golf R), and other than the fact it had the equivalent of DSG, which I sorely miss in my Golf R, I left being quite unimpressed, especially for the extra $$$. I much prefer the interior and exterior looks of the Golf R, not to mention the fact that the Golf R is not a sedan. I definitely agree with the other posts that found the S4 to be boring.

McQueen77

Banned
i thought the S4 i drove was nice.. very nice. crazy amount of power.. i dont know though.. for the money, id get a Jag or something instead. thats a lot of money.. i think they were asking $65k for the one i drove. its just not that great for $65k. silly money. you could buy a fully restored cherry 1987 porshe 911 for that kind of money.

Ryebread

Passed Driver's Ed
I love both my 08 R32 and my Golf R. I did not buy them because of price, but rather because of what they are. Price was not a factor. In fact, I recently test drove an Audi S4 (sticker price was $30k or so more than the Golf R), and other than the fact it had the equivalent of DSG, which I sorely miss in my Golf R, I left being quite unimpressed, especially for the extra $$$. I much prefer the interior and exterior looks of the Golf R, not to mention the fact that the Golf R is not a sedan. I definitely agree with the other posts that found the S4 to be boring.

there is nothing unimpressive about a drive in an S4.
what are you expecting to happen?
the car's interior and exterior suddenly appeal to you?
looks are subjective, obviously.
if the S4 was shrunken down and was an S3 sedan, perhaps you would have liked it.
power, delivery, grip, comfort... the S4 is a fantastic car. it's just too big for you.
?

GolfClubs

Passed Driver's Ed
I think you said it in the op. you dont need fu fu features. the r has everything you want, no extra bs, and will put a smile on your face every time. you're a dubber, we don't like freeway couch machines :)

luckeydoug1

Passed Driver's Ed
there is nothing unimpressive about a drive in an S4.
what are you expecting to happen?
the car's interior and exterior suddenly appeal to you?
looks are subjective, obviously.
if the S4 was shrunken down and was an S3 sedan, perhaps you would have liked it.
power, delivery, grip, comfort... the S4 is a fantastic car. it's just too big for you.
?
Nope, not too big. In fact, I found the S4 and well as the A5 to be rather claustrophobic.

I also own and drive a 2011 Touareg which I find too small. (I totally miss my Eurovan!)

I simply find that I prefer the looks, power, comfort, handling etc in my Golf R. The ONLY advantage the S4 had over the Golf R to me was the S-tronic transmission. Not only did I find the S4 to be underwhelming, no way is it worth $30K more than the Golf R to me.

But you are right, it is all subjective.

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
Auto headlights and windshield wipers are fucking gay and do not make the car better in any way, those options literally do nothing for me but that's just me, rear view camera?? Are you actually being serious ? Please people when did we start driving our cars like pussies where we decided we needed rear view cameras and electric parking brakes and shit.... RNS-510 I would like to come stock along with the tails but the tails don't count because that's just crappy US regulations anyway

Agreed.

I have both auto headlights and auto wipers- both useless options that add nothing to the car.

I love my auto dimming rear view mirror to death though

R > luxury sedan

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
dude. C'mon.

Right!

Add universal garage door openers.
Add LED tails.
Add trunk release.
I'm not adding all that isht though. Just the tails.

Are you serious? Wheelbase. Weight. Length.
Exterior length is 13" longer, that is substantial. Park each in your garage and you'll see it instantly. :)

Untitled by Ryan Philly, on Flickr

Right while it is bigger on the exterior it is smaller on the interior in a lot of the dimensions esp in rear leg/head room and storage space.
BMW
Passenger Capacity: 5
Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 93.0
Front Head Room (in): 38.5
Front Leg Room (in): 41.5
Front Shoulder Room (in): 55.4
Front Hip Room (in): - TBD -
Second Head Room (in): 37.5
Second Leg Room (in): 34.6
Second Shoulder Room (in): 55.1
Second Hip Room (in): - TBD -
Trunk Volume (cu. ft.): 12.0

GOLF
Passenger Capacity: 5Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 93.0
Front Head Room (in): 39.3
Front Leg Room (in): 41.2
Front Shoulder Room (in): 54.7
Second Head Room (in): 38.5
Second Leg Room (in): 35.5
Second Shoulder Room (in): 52.8
Cargo Volume with Rear Seat Down (cu. ft.): 46.0

McQueen77

Banned
Right while it is bigger on the exterior it is smaller on the interior in a lot of the dimensions esp in rear leg/head room and storage space.
BMW
Passenger Capacity: 5
Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 93.0
Front Head Room (in): 38.5
Front Leg Room (in): 41.5
Front Shoulder Room (in): 55.4
Second Head Room (in): 37.5
Second Leg Room (in): 34.6
Second Shoulder Room (in): 55.1
Trunk Volume (cu. ft.): 12.0

GOLF
Passenger Capacity: 5Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 93.0
Front Head Room (in): 39.3
Front Leg Room (in): 41.2
Front Shoulder Room (in): 54.7
Second Head Room (in): 38.5
Second Leg Room (in): 35.5
Second Shoulder Room (in): 52.8
Cargo Volume with Rear Seat Down (cu. ft.): 46.0

BMW
% Probability Car Will Be Mistaken For a Yaris: .0005%
How Often Owner Will Have to Justify Price to People (Scale 1-10, 10 being all the time): 2

GOLF
% Probability Car Will Be Mistaken For a Yaris: 73%
How Often Owner Will Have to Justify Price to People (Scale 1-10, 10 being all the time): 10
Friend: Nice Golf bro, how much?
You: Excuse me, Golf 'R'...
Friend: Ok..
You: $35.7k
Friend: ............

rj45

Passed Driver's Ed
Regarding auto headlights, wipers and dimming rearview mirror, I would have appreciated the headlights and the mirror (though window tint cured the headlight glare), but the auto wipers are an option I've never cared for. IME, they rarely work properly, often leaving rain water on the glass far too long before activating. I much prefer old school intermittent wipers.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Yep a 09 328i will get way more "respect" at 20k selling price vs a 30k golf R used. But ppl get the cars for different reasons. I was making my point earlier because a person claimed a 3 series was bigger than a golf which was deemed too small. Having driven both cars extensively it simply isn't true.

jda

Passed Driver's Ed
BMW
% Probability Car Will Be Mistaken For a Yaris: .0005%
How Often Owner Will Have to Justify Price to People (Scale 1-10, 10 being all the time): 2

GOLF
% Probability Car Will Be Mistaken For a Yaris: 73%
How Often Owner Will Have to Justify Price to People (Scale 1-10, 10 being all the time): 10
Friend: Nice Golf bro, how much?
You: Excuse me, Golf 'R'...
Friend: Ok..
You: $35.7k
Friend: ............

Not sure why owner has to justify the purchase to other people unless other people are paying for the car?

If you really need to make justification, you probably bought the wrong car.