GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gti vs 5.0

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Nope..that was the government.

Thanks Obama.

I don't think the weight advantage is as good as people think it is. I'm gonna guess 150 pounds at the most.

Thanks Obama

Also, you're probably right though I hope you're wrong. At any rate it's 150lbs off the front of the car, which is nice. Still, can't wait to drive em.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Ford sells more V6 Mustangs than V8's. Base model cars aren't going anywhere and are necessary.

I bet they'd sell more vee eights if the vee six weren't offered, though.

rquinn19

Ready to race!
I bet they'd sell more vee eights if the vee six weren't offered, though.

Yeah, but they'd sell less cars total by far. Imagine VW only selling GTIs and GLIs instead of base model Jettas and Golfs. The V6 Mustang isn't something new. Hell there were years that they didn't even offer a GT version (mustang wasn't always a muscle car).

Lots of girls like the styling especially the convertibles, but don't need the V8.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Hell there were years that they didn't even offer a GT version (mustang wasn't always a muscle car).

What years? Off the top of my head I only know of one year w/o a V8, 1974 in the time of the Mustang II and the gas crisis.

The Mustang isn't a muscle car, it's the inventor of the Pony Car class.

turbor850

Ready to race!
Went on a cruise with my friend and his 5.0 stang A/T. I'm stage 1 with a Carbonio intake and he's 100% stock. We raced from 45 and it was pretty even until 80-90 at which point he comfortably pulled away. I will race again and video tape. I was pleased I could hang until 80-90 mph. Many will call bs I'm sure but ill post vids soon enough. He's getting a bama tune soon, I'll need to go stage 2 just to keep up I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please do.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
What years? Off the top of my head I only know of one year w/o a V8, 1974 in the time of the Mustang II and the gas crisis.

The Mustang isn't a muscle car, it's the inventor of the Pony Car class.

The mustang is becoming the staple of the muscle car now...

I owned two... 66' 200 sprint which was, as the v6s are today, a pretty car that was a sheep in wolfs clothing. The car got me from a-b and really had some great character to it but wasnt enough.

I went to a 66' coupe 289 and felt like i belonged in the "muscle car world." But i didnt. not even close. Even after i swapped the 289 for a 351C i still felt like it was lacking from the GTOs, Challengers, etc. That being said... that car was loads of fun and has left me with a great soft spot for mustangs :)

Current 5.0s are just killing the game though (in terms of straight line fast). More power to them. They are an affordable car that gets stupid power out the gate and looks fantastic. I think now more then ever they are shaping the muscle car world. As heavy as it is its still lighter than the challenger by a boat load... it looks better than the SS; and its faster out the gate than both.

Uberryan

Banned
Too bad today's 'stang drivers were yesterdays BMW drivers. The whole phylum of douche has converted

Devilchrono

Ready to race!
The mustang is becoming the staple of the muscle car now...

I owned two... 66' 200 sprint which was, as the v6s are today, a pretty car that was a sheep in wolfs clothing. The car got me from a-b and really had some great character to it but wasnt enough.

I went to a 66' coupe 289 and felt like i belonged in the "muscle car world." But i didnt. not even close. Even after i swapped the 289 for a 351C i still felt like it was lacking from the GTOs, Challengers, etc. That being said... that car was loads of fun and has left me with a great soft spot for mustangs :)

Current 5.0s are just killing the game though (in terms of straight line fast). More power to them. They are an affordable car that gets stupid power out the gate and looks fantastic. I think now more then ever they are shaping the muscle car world. As heavy as it is its still lighter than the challenger by a boat load... it looks better than the SS; and its faster out the gate than both.

The Mustang isn't a Muscle car though, and neither is the Camaro or Challenger really. They were part of the "Pony" car class, with the Mustang being the original, and they still are. They just get pushed into being called Muscle cars because today's generation doesn't know better, and there's no "true" Muscle cars out anymore.

Too bad today's 'stang drivers were yesterdays BMW drivers. The whole phylum of douche has converted

I've seen more douchey GTI drivers/owners on here than I have Mustang drivers/owners. I find it amusing how many people on here can't see the forest for the tress because they're so damn blind.

:dnftt:

Devilchrono

Ready to race!
So i agree they started out as the "pony" car... but the above question begs the question what constitutes a "true" muscle car?

A "true" muscle car stopped existing with the end of the 60's GTO, as it was last "true" muscle car. Small(ish), with a big motor that was a street/track monster during it's time.

Today's cars are considered "modern muscle", which I guess isn't a bad term really; though they still aren't "true" muscle cars because they cars they were based on were also never "true" muscle cars either. Everyone obviously has they're own opinion though, which is why I think the segment is difficult to define for the most part.