GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs Golf R?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I think this is a revised FSI, not the same as Pre2008.5 MKV FSI.
Should be closer to FSI in 2.0 Audi products (but transversally installed).
But still, you got to update the fuel pump if you want to stage it hard, and there is a timing belt I think...

FSI will provide better performance (K04...) but I think it will cost a little more to maintain on long term.

Still......I don't care !!! I want Golf R DSG !!! :(

Maybe they will offer 2013 Golf R on the last year before MKVII shows up in N/A but they will offer more options...like 3-doors, and DSG.

Unlikely and with the DSG this car will touch almost 40k :(

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I think this is a revised FSI, not the same as Pre2008.5 MKV FSI.
Should be closer to FSI in 2.0 Audi products (but transversally installed).
But still, you got to update the fuel pump if you want to stage it hard, and there is a timing belt I think...

FSI will provide better performance (K04...) but I think it will cost a little more to maintain on long term.

Still......I don't care !!! I want Golf R DSG !!! :(Maybe they will offer 2013 Golf R on the last year before MKVII shows up in N/A but they will offer more options...like 3-doors, and DSG.

I'm with you on that ! I would have got it if DSG avail' I wouldn't give a crap on:price,GTi comparison,Fuel pump,Lack of ESP deactivation.The deal breaker for me was the manual gearbox,i was looking for something more Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde (DSG).I guess it's time to wait for a cheap good one now, to really justify a better price,because this price:I can't so far.
Still the R is a good car,no offense.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion

QUEDRO

Ready to race!
yeah, what's wrong with a 30K Audi A3 quattro ?
You get the awd
you get longitudinal DSG
less $ than R

I know it's not a DSG, but you could look at an A3 Quattro Titanium S-line S-Tronic. It costs about the same as the 4-door R, comes with a TFSI 2.0T motor, is pretty loaded, has a sporty suspension, AWD, automatic, etc.

Though the R looks better, and is faster. But the 2013 A3 should be here soon:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/06/2013-audi-a3-geneva-2012/

and why this is not DSG ??
S-tronic = DSG

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
true^^ good choice there.. not exactly an R, but yeah.

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
I'll check the 2013 A3 when time will come...Back in 2010, GTI was the superior car for me (fully loaded).

A3 has the "TSI" engine as well...no K04.

ddh716

I've driven my Golf R in the snow, and even with the original Dunlops the car really did well. I had good winter tires on my previous car (Acura TL Type S, FWD), and they made a HUGE difference in how that car drove in the snow. But the Golf R, with all season tires, does even better. I'm sure a GTI with decent winter tires will do just fine, but a Golf R with winter tires will be even better. Neither car is a bad choice.