GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs Golf R?

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
For sure it's not slower! I said before, I'd trade my DSG GTI for a DSG R but it's not offered so no deal for me. I love driving stick but for me, DSG is the way (ask if you wanna know why).

Just watch the video I posted before for comparison between Rs. The data seems more precise and since I'm not a crazy shifter, I would not be able to shift quicker than the guy.
Thing is, DSG GTI seems to be close to manual R performance.

Ok R is more powerful but since I don't live near an Autobahn neither track my cars....I would not get the R for the better engine performance, because I don't accelerate to 120mph, but for other reasons.

Last edited:

JoshGTI2010

If you're not getting it for the power, then go with a GTI. I live in Utah and I've been tromping my GTI around in the snow as much as I can and it's doing great thus far-and I don't even have winter tires. Part of that is having lived in super snow area's for awhile and being really used to driving in snow, but either way.

Someone mentioned that you can stage 1 the R, which is true-but you can stage 2/3 the GTI for less than you buy the R stock....then just look at the prices behind staging the R...then look at the difference in gas mileage. I mean, if you're going to stage an R why not just get a lightly used s4 or something?

Imo the GTI is the way to go.

ian dummy

Ready to race!
as someone who owns a MKIV R32 (bone stock), a MKV GTI (stage 1 APR, intake, H&R cup kit, diesel geek short shifter, and more) and a Golf R...

the Golf R was equivalent to the GTI out of the box...a bit more turbo lag with the K04, but still pulls pretty well. the initial kick out of the stage 1 GTI was a bit more, but that was because i put down 225hp/310ft-lbs at the wheels.

on thursday i went APR stage 1 in the R. now there is absolutely no contest. R all the way. i snapped my head back into the headrest dropping from 1st to second and flooring it. totally caught me by surprise.

i will say however, if you're looking for gas mileage, go with the GTI. the best i have gotten in my R is 28.9mpg freeway but again, i only have 1200 miles on it and the engine has not loosened up all the way yet (it took 5000 miles or so on both the R32 and GTI). i highly doubt it will get the 35-40 freeway that the GTI gets unless i am driving downhill the whole way :)

i also live in seattle, where when we get snow it is one of the worst places to drive in it (constant thaw/refreezing tons of hills, etc) and my GTI has never had any issues in the snow with a good set of snow tires and some simple snow driving know-how. this includes driving up into the mountains for snowboarding regularly.

just my $0.02 as someone who owns the NA 3.2 R, the 2.0T GTI, and the 2.0T R

Last edited:

Elmexicano

Ready to race!
If the R would have been available when I was in the market I would have gotten it.
Some people Recommend getting the GTI +stage1 (which is what I have at the moment) but they fail to mention that you can also get stage 1 for the R and make over 300hp.
I LOVE my GTI but the R is a better car IMO. My cousin just got one and I'm jealous!!!

^
This...
I'm the cousin haha and the R is an amazing car, being able to put the power down an all four wheels is a HUGE plus! The GTI is a great car as well almost the same really but if money is not an issue I don't see a reason why you shouldn't get it.

gtipwnz

Ready to race!
Look if money is not an issue and you don't mind driving a stick then get the R. Bigger turbo, bigger brakes which are safer (gti brakes are not great) and AWD which is the best part of it all. I use to drive an MKV R32 and during snow storms I was king. Also, you never have to deal with torque steer like you will with the gti. In my opinion the R's price is awesome considering what you get.

I have yet to notice any torque steer that would make me want to spend like 10 grand more on a car.

yegor

Ready to race!
Same here, I would be throwing cash at my dealer for a DSG Golf R.

I would buy one too, if they offered DSG.

I have been driving manual since I was 6 years old (looked at the road through the steering wheel :) I love it and enjoy driving manual. I had an '06 fully loaded MCS JCW and '07 Z4 M Coupe both came manual only, but for daily driver it gets very tiring for the area I live in, where the DSG just shines. Well, the GTI is great in that sense, but I really miss my '08 R32, not its looks (I think the '04 R32 looks much better), but the performance and responsiveness. I drove it once in a very heavy snow storm for more than 4 hours with high performance summers (no chains) and the car behaved wonderfully, considering the fact of seeing several 4WD SUVs slid off road.

I recently called the local dealer to trade in my '11 GTI for an R, but am very hesitant when it comes using manual everyday on these congested roads, nevertheless my eyes are still on the Golf R :)

Dybz

Banned
if money doesn't matter, and you really want DSG+awd, get the audit TT-S.

TommyD

Ready to race!
If I had found the Color and door config I want in an R I probably would have dropped the extra 7k for it. Not totally sure about it still.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I have yet to notice any torque steer that would make me want to spend like 10 grand more on a car.

^^ LOL.... agreed.

I never understood why Mazda didn't try to add AWD to the speed 3 and still sell it for like $25-$26K, it would have really taken the fight to the STI then.

if money doesn't matter, and you really want DSG+awd, get the audit TT-S.

mmm.. DELISH:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...e=b&num_records=25&cardist=128&standard=false

i'd definitely find a certified one of these over a Golf R if I didn't need the hatch.

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
Haha, I didn't even consider the MKV R32 because it didn't have a stick-shift. I drove the MKV R32 and was pleased, but I like my MKVI GTI. Aside from the drivetrain they're very similar cars. Go test drive them, crunch the numbers (if that matters to you), and make the decision yourself. The MKVI Golf R price point brings better cars for comparison: BMW 1-series, 3-series, Audi A3, A4, etc.

I'm glad VW made the MKVI only in a traditional manual transmission.

TommyD

Ready to race!
I have always been a fan of the TT except:

1) not as easy to get in and out of for me (I'm a big guy)
2) no sun roof
3) I think less reasonable and useful of a car than an RS8 :)

Which is why I would rather have the R

*Ohh and I am less a fan of DSG. I know it is supposed to be better than my skills but better isn't more fun.

droopy1592

Passed Driver's Ed
Get a GTI + Stage 1 and you'll forget all about the Golf R... not to mention save $6000 - $12,000 depending on what trim you want on the GTI...

Get stage anything in the Golf R and you'll forget stage 1 in a GTi. Driven back to back, a stage 1 Gti struggles for grip (even with F1s) especially with extra weight while a stage 1 Golf R just elfin goes no matter what.

Jay12GolfR

GTI is a great car, no doubt. R is better across the board with the exception of fuel economy, that's why it costs more. If the extra $ is worth it to you or not, is up to you and a completely personal decision.

From personal experience, I also think the FSI engine is more reliable. After nearly 70k I never had a single problem with my MkV GLI. In my MK6 GTI, it blew a fuel injector and both O2 sensors at 16k, completely stock and I'm not the only one that had this issue.

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
GTI is a great car, no doubt. R is better across the board with the exception of fuel economy, that's why it costs more. If the extra $ is worth it to you or not, is up to you and a completely personal decision.

From personal experience, I also think the FSI engine is more reliable. After nearly 70k I never had a single problem with my MkV GLI. In my MK6 GTI, it blew a fuel injector and both O2 sensors at 16k, completely stock and I'm not the only one that had this issue.

I think this is a revised FSI, not the same as Pre2008.5 MKV FSI.
Should be closer to FSI in 2.0 Audi products (but transversally installed).
But still, you got to update the fuel pump if you want to stage it hard, and there is a timing belt I think...

FSI will provide better performance (K04...) but I think it will cost a little more to maintain on long term.

Still......I don't care !!! I want Golf R DSG !!! :(

Maybe they will offer 2013 Golf R on the last year before MKVII shows up in N/A but they will offer more options...like 3-doors, and DSG.